The Student Room Group

Non-Eu (International) Student

I have applied for various University so that I can study Biomedical Science w/ Foundation this school year (2018-2019). However, I am classed as an international student because of my current visa (PBS dependant). I've lived in the UK for 3 years (came here August 2014). Is there a chance I could be classed as a home student? I might not be able to get my ILR this year since I might have to wait for another 6 years (10 year route) and I really want to study. Hope someone can answer my question.
Original post by pjcarsolon
I have applied for various University so that I can study Biomedical Science w/ Foundation this school year (2018-2019). However, I am classed as an international student because of my current visa (PBS dependant). I've lived in the UK for 3 years (came here August 2014). Is there a chance I could be classed as a home student? I might not be able to get my ILR this year since I might have to wait for another 6 years (10 year route) and I really want to study. Hope someone can answer my question.

Hi pjcarsolon,

To be eligible for funding you must meet the following criteria,

ROW nationals should hold either Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE) status and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course or

ROW nationals can have Long Residency in the UK (ROW students can also be considered as exceptions, please see the section below) if they don't hold ILR or ILE.
and

be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; or

have settled status with no restrictions and resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the course start date.

You can also apply if you have been granted Refugee Status by the Home Office.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi pjcarsolon,

To be eligible for funding you must meet the following criteria,

ROW nationals should hold either Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE) status and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course or

ROW nationals can have Long Residency in the UK (ROW students can also be considered as exceptions, please see the section below) if they don't hold ILR or ILE.
and

be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; or

have settled status with no restrictions and resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the course start date.

You can also apply if you have been granted Refugee Status by the Home Office.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi again! Thanks for all of these information. I’m just wondering, would I be able to apply for a student loan if for example, my papers are in the home office for Residency and I can show a proof of this (letter from the home office)? Or do I have to wait for the result of it. Since I know student loan don’t just come as soon as you apply.
Original post by pjcarsolon
Hi again! Thanks for all of these information. I’m just wondering, would I be able to apply for a student loan if for example, my papers are in the home office for Residency and I can show a proof of this (letter from the home office)? Or do I have to wait for the result of it. Since I know student loan don’t just come as soon as you apply.

Hi pjcarsolon,

Yes, you can apply just now and we can start processing your application until Home Office has made their decision on your residency.

Thanks

Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending