The Student Room Group

former a level teacher sent me his address on facebook, what to do ?

My old economics A Level teacher from last year added me on facebook. I didnt think anything of it.

He sent me a message, asking how I was settling in at university and finding the course etc.

He then asked if when I am back in town, he could run a few pages of his ucas applications guidebook past me, I said sure and am happy to take a look.

He gave me his number and I gave him mine.

I thought, he was going to invite me to come to college or something. Instead he texted me his home address ?

What does this mean ? Has he got the wrong idea?

Scroll to see replies

Possibly, ask him if you can go with a friend or something just to be safe? I don't know I'm 15 i'm just trying to be helpful.
oh heckk

that kinda sounds wrong

if you do decide to meet up, go somewhere public like a cafe. Don't go back with him to his house. That is a very bad idea

I don't think its right for him to be going out of his way to find you on fb in the first place, but hey

Don't give him your address, or any other personal information. And if he starts to take it too far, report it to someone

Who knows
He may have no bad intentions
But it all sounds rather fishy to me

Idk, stay safe x
Reply 3
Why would he want to run some pages of his ucas application guidebook past a first year undergrad?
Original post by cat_mac
Why would he want to run some pages of his ucas application guidebook past a first year undergrad?

Just out of curiosity is that you in your profile picture?
Reply 5
Original post by Got KoolAid
Just out of curiosity is that you in your profile picture?

Yes, but that’s not relevant to the thread. Don’t want to derail on what sounds like a serious issue. :no:
Reply 6
Original post by kiindling
oh heckk

that kinda sounds wrong

if you do decide to meet up, go somewhere public like a cafe. Don't go back with him to his house. That is a very bad idea

I don't think its right for him to be going out of his way to find you on fb in the first place, but hey

Don't give him your address, or any other personal information. And if he starts to take it too far, report it to someone

Who knows

Idk, stay safe x

I might just say, its more convenient for me to meet at my old college or something.

Original post by cat_mac

dont know. Although I did consult him extensively when I was applying and he did help me prepare for my interviews. I thought maybe he wanted to discuss that abit more from my perspective ?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
dont know. Although I did consult him extensively when I was applying and he did help me prepare for my interviews. I thought maybe he wanted to discuss that abit more from my perspective ?

It just seems strange that he’s now asking for help, it does sound like an excuse to see you. But there is a chance he does just want the perspective of someone who’s gone through it I guess?

As others have said, be cautious. Only meet him in public if you do, and it’s totally understandable if you want to cancel. You’re under no obligation to meet him, if you have a bad feeling you should trust your instincts.
I might just say, its more convenient for me to meet at my old college or something.

That sounds like a good plan, especially as you would have other members of staff there, and if you are worried, you can speak to someone else x
Reply 9
That sounds like a good plan, especially as you would have other members of staff there, and if you are worried, you can speak to someone else x

Original post by cat_mac
It just seems strange that he’s now asking for help, it does sound like an excuse to see you. But there is a chance he does just want the perspective of someone who’s gone through it I guess?

As others have said, be cautious. Only meet him in public if you do, and it’s totally understandable if you want to cancel. You’re under no obligation to meet him, if you have a bad feeling you should trust your instincts.

So I looked at his profile and we have 3 mutual friends, 2 of them I know.

I messaged them both, and they have also received similar invitations to discuss ucas

I guess this means, it is genuinely about this book ?
I still wouldn't go to him privately
And its even weirder how he's found 2 of your friends as well
If in doubt, speak to your old college or your university to see if its actually legit and allowed, because there may be some legislation somewhere that means he shouldn't be doing this
Trust your gut
If it makes you uncomfortable, turn down the offer and don't speak to him again
Yeah probably lol ask them if they got a message with his address too
It could be genuine and he wants the opinion of someone who has recently gone through the system. However it's OK to feel uncomfortable going to his house - you could ask to meet in a cafe or come to the college.
Yeah probably lol ask them if they got a message with his address too

So 1 of my friends, said she ignored the message
second one said she met him at starbucks and he was being really awkward and kept trying to touch her arm and hair and then asked her if she wanted to go for a drink later.

I still wouldn't go to him privately
And its even weirder how he's found 2 of your friends as well
If in doubt, speak to your old college or your university to see if its actually legit and allowed, because there may be some legislation somewhere that means he shouldn't be doing this
Trust your gut
If it makes you uncomfortable, turn down the offer and don't speak to him again

I suggested meeting in the staff room, and he said I would have to come as a external guests that requires a lot of paperwork and a DBS check.
From what I read I personally would not attend especially seeing as what one of the other person told you about their experience. Maybe speak to your head of year if you have one or someone higher than the teacher in the school. Technically he isn't doing anything wrong because you have left the school/college and are above the age of consent. At the same time though it's wrong as in that he was your teacher and should know better.
Don't go to his home address. He can email you his current draft for your comments. At a push, you could agree to meet on site at the college. Sounds out of order to me.
oh heckk

that kinda sounds wrong

Who knows

Idk, stay safe x

I'm going to second that, sound a bit wrong and fishy. Stay safe!
lol (sorry, doesn't mean I find it funny), here, an economics teacher was sexually harassing multiple victims.Of those victims , many of them were his past and present student (happened for years too). It started similarly, he would invite persons to his home to 'chat' and then would have anal sex with them in exchange for grades, free lessons, money etc. I don't know how much of it is true or false. But I wouldn't suggest you go anywhere near your teacher unless it's at school or something. Sorry, but you can't be too careful.
So 1 of my friends, said she ignored the message
second one said she met him at starbucks and he was being really awkward and kept trying to touch her arm and hair and then asked her if she wanted to go for a drink later.

I suggested meeting in the staff room, and he said I would have to come as a external guests that requires a lot of paperwork and a DBS check.

So you know this and it's not given you any red flags?
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
So you know this and it's not given you any red flags?

I didnt know "this" at the time I started this thread.

Only heard back from my friend at 1PM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending