The Student Room Group

Ever been talked out of your dream?

I know I have lol. Ever since I was little it’s been my dream to be an author writing fantasy. But according to my parents it’s unrealistic and I shouldn’t bother working towards it. Although I can see their point, it’s heartbreaking being told you can’t do it.
Let me know your own experiences!!
"Mum, I want to be a doctor"
"no chance"

When I was about 10.
Original post by Sabertooth
"Mum, I want to be a doctor"
"no chance"

When I was about 10.

Whaaat that's crazy, being talked out of a well-paid and respected profession! It's the opposite for me:
"I want to write stories"
"No be a lawyer"
Not really :smile:
when i was 12 and really good at maths i wanted to be an engineer (like one of my cousins) my mum told me then at that time he was unemployed and living at his parents house still at age 29

only to find out a couple of years later when he got social media i found out that he is not unemployed and he earns more than my mum does XD

by then it was too late for me to get back on my engineering dream because i was no where near as good at maths as i used to be , now i'm stuck not knowing what to do :/
Nah. Anything I've ever wanted to do, my parents supported me, been lucky that way. I wanted to be an author for a long time, and my Dad was behind me all the way. For what it's worth in your parents defence, I do believe trying to be a fantasy author is a somewhat terrible idea... write in your free time, pursue it, love it, and then if it happens to work out you can drop everything else and focus on it - but it is SO competitive that it's not something to commit to full time at first.
Yes but I've always found my self coming back to it again and again. I still have my mom that doesnt think it is worth it.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
when i was 12 and really good at maths i wanted to be an engineer (like one of my cousins) my mum told me then at that time he was unemployed and living at his parents house still at age 29

only to find out a couple of years later when he got social media i found out that he is not unemployed and he earns more than my mum does XD

by then it was too late for me to get back on my engineering dream because i was no where near as good at maths as i used to be , now i'm stuck not knowing what to do :/

I suggest you return to your dream!
my brother is an engineer, he graduated 2 years ago. he's in his 30s. he started as a tyre fitter and is now an engineer. he's so proud of his work.
hes not a natural at maths, he studied a level maths at the same time to catch up.
I'm studying a level maths at the moment (doing maths and statistics degree this october) and it's cool that I can understand his work now.

it's never too late! I'm older than my brother...
Original post by schoolbeforeboys
Whaaat that's crazy, being talked out of a well-paid and respected profession! It's the opposite for me:
"I want to write stories"
"No be a lawyer"

I don't think they have any opposition to doctors; just think I'm not intelligent enough to be one. :sigh:
Original post by RuthieG101
I suggest you return to your dream!
my brother is an engineer, he graduated 2 years ago. he's in his 30s. he started as a tyre fitter and is now an engineer. he's so proud of his work.
hes not a natural at maths, he studied a level maths at the same time to catch up.
I'm studying a level maths at the moment (doing maths and statistics degree this october) and it's cool that I can understand his work now.

it's never too late! I'm older than my brother...

well it is , i'm doing bio chem and history a-level

plus tbh i'm not even that sad with bio/chem workfield , all i initially wanted was to work in a stem based job

thanks for the advice though :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
I don't think they have any opposition to doctors; just think I'm not intelligent enough to be one. :sigh:

No don’t say that! Of course you are, it’s all about hard work anyway, not necessarily intelligence :smile:
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
Nah. Anything I've ever wanted to do, my parents supported me, been lucky that way. I wanted to be an author for a long time, and my Dad was behind me all the way. For what it's worth in your parents defence, I do believe trying to be a fantasy author is a somewhat terrible idea... write in your free time, pursue it, love it, and then if it happens to work out you can drop everything else and focus on it - but it is SO competitive that it's not something to commit to full time at first.

Yeah I can see their point of view and wouldn’t commit full time because I’m the type of person that can’t cope with not having a steady stream of income, but it’s very disheartening being told it’s not worth it and you shouldn’t do it :frown:
Not really but a tutor told me at university I shouldn’t bother applying for a masters because I wasn’t going to get a 2.1 (minimum requirement) so I didn’t apply. Turns out I got a 2.1 anyway, but by then I’d already found another career path. I do wonder if my life would have been different but I’m happy with how things turned out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending