The Student Room Group

Which Uni is the best?

Hello, i've applied to Royal Holloway University of London (course:"Criminology and Psychology"), East London(course:Forensic Psychology), Bradford (course:"Criminology and Criminal Behaviour), West London Uni (course:"Criminology, Policing & Forensics " and Kingston Uni (course: Forensic Psychology).
Which university is the best?
Students seem to hate Bradford and East London... Can anyone tell me which Uni is worth it?
Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Will be RHUL out of those.

Would suggest you aim higher than the others.
Reply 2
Original post by Notoriety
Will be RHUL out of those.

Would suggest you aim higher than the others.

Thank you!
Original post by J-SP
It really depends on which department or subject you want to focus on, or whether you want to do combined degrees.

Many of these combination won’t be found at many universities that Notoriety suggests you aim higher for. And in some subjects, like policing and even forensic psychology to some extent, things like university rankings mean very little.

The subjects were added in after my post.
Of the lot , RHUL and Kingston seem to be the most attractive options
Original post by J-SP
For small outer London universities, not a million miles apart from each other geographically, they have a very different feel. I’d recommend visiting both to see which one you like, as having spent time at both I know they are very different from one another.

Agreed. The vibe you'll get when you actually visit the universities will be very different from the vibe they give off rn. It's basically a personal preference , you do have to spend the next 3-4 years there so choose an environment where you're comfortable and you feel like you'll flourish the most
Reply 6
Thank you all, for your help! I really appreciate it! Unfortunately i can't visit any of the universities right now, because i'm an international student (specifically a Greek) and i don't live in the UK. I don't really care about nightlife and making friends, etc. My main concern is finding a great university, and Royal Holloway seems to be the best one out of all five.
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
Best in what way though?

Generals reputation maybe, but that might not filter down to the areas you want to study

Royal Holloway is higher in rankings.
Original post by ChrysaPap
Royal Holloway is higher in rankings.

That'll be the overall rankings or the forensic science or sociology or psychology rankings. There is no ranking where all this specific courses are listed, so the subject rankings will only cover maybe one of part of the subject combinations.

I think it is important to ask yourself why you're doing the degree. Do you want to be a forensic psychologist? Do you want to be a social worker? Do you want to work in the Probation Service, be a screw? Do you want to be a police officer or a forensic scientist? As you posted this in the law forum, do you want to work in law? All your subjects cover a broad range of potential careers, disjunctively. That is, WLU's and Kingston's course are entirely different!

And if you want to be a forensic psychologist, there are probably better ways to do that than with a Kingston degree. I would say aim for the best psychology course possible, see if you can mix some criminology modules in there, and progress on to MSc and PhD. I think you need to think about exactly what you want to do with your degree, at this stage. There is no point choosing one simply because the uni as a whole is higher in the rankings than your other choices, or that Uni X is better than Uni B at sociology, though you'd actually be studying policing there. If you do want to study a degree now, simply for the sakes of it, and decide later ... why not study liberal arts or a discursive subject like history/geography.
Reply 9
That'll be the overall rankings or the forensic science or sociology or psychology rankings. There is no ranking where all this specific courses are listed, so the subject rankings will only cover maybe one of part of the subject combinations.

I think it is important to ask yourself why you're doing the degree. Do you want to be a forensic psychologist? Do you want to be a social worker? Do you want to work in the Probation Service, be a screw? Do you want to be a police officer or a forensic scientist? As you posted this in the law forum, do you want to work in law? All your subjects cover a broad range of potential careers, disjunctively. That is, WLU's and Kingston's course are entirely different!

And if you want to be a forensic psychologist, there are probably better ways to do that than with a Kingston degree. I would say aim for the best psychology course possible, see if you can mix some criminology modules in there, and progress on to MSc and PhD. I think you need to think about exactly what you want to do with your degree, at this stage. There is no point choosing one simply because the uni as a whole is higher in the rankings than your other choices, or that Uni X is better than Uni B at sociology, though you'd actually be studying policing there. If you do want to study a degree now, simply for the sakes of it, and decide later ... why not study liberal arts or a discursive subject like history/geography.

Yep, i want to be a Forensic psychologist. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help. :biggrin:
Reply 10

Kingston, it is then.
RHUL is the best out of them, but what are your predicted grades for A Level? Because you could aim higher.
Reply 12
Original post by Alexty28
RHUL is the best out of them, but what are your predicted grades for A Level? Because you could aim higher.

Unfortunately i can't. My grades are quite terrible....
Kingston, it is then.

No, I think psych and criminology at RHUL would give you a more robust academic experience and therefore will be more likely to support postgrad applications relating to forensic psychology. Though, if you feel that particular academics at Kingston might make it worthwhile to study there, do consider that.

However, it is important that you consider Course X and Course Y by the modules on offer and not by the topic name -- I know criminology at Durham has just as much sociological content as a criminology/sociology course anywhere else. Just the degree name is different! So do look at what separates Kingston and RHUL substantively; also look to see if there are any placements available, as these can be crucial for specific psychology postgrad courses.
Unfortunately i can't. My grades are quite terrible....

That can't be that bad if RHUL entry requirements for Criminology and Psychology is AAB- ABB.
Reply 15
No, I think psych and criminology at RHUL would give you a more robust academic experience and therefore will be more likely to support postgrad applications relating to forensic psychology. Though, if you feel that particular academics at Kingston might make it worthwhile to study there, do consider that.

However, it is important that you consider Course X and Course Y by the modules on offer and not by the topic name -- I know criminology at Durham has just as much sociological content as a criminology/sociology course anywhere else. Just the degree name is different! So do look at what separates Kingston and RHUL substantively; also look to see if there are any placements available, as these can be crucial for specific psychology postgrad courses.

I will, thank you!
Reply 16
No. I'm almost 20... I took a break from everything and traveled in the US and Italy, i've had enough. :'D I have to attend a university!
Reply 17

Would RHUL be great for someone who wants to work in Law Enforcement (police officers, FBI, Department of Homeland Security, etc...)??
Would RHUL be great for someone who wants to work in Law Enforcement (police officers, FBI, Department of Homeland Security, etc...)??

Well, working in US federal agencies requires US citizenship. It is a long and indirect route.

UK, NCA and regional forces, sure. All of them would be sufficient; but you don't need a policing degree, as an English Language degree would impress similar amounts. After all, training takes you from zero knowledge to working-copper knowledge. Bear in mind by the time you graduate it is likely that new policing recruits will need to possess a degree/or undergo a degree apprenticeship -- which makes a whole lot of sense, given the number of dunderheads currently recruited.
Reply 19
Well, working in US federal agencies requires US citizenship. It is a long and indirect route.

UK, NCA and regional forces, sure. All of them would be sufficient; but you don't need a policing degree, as an English Language degree would impress similar amounts. After all, training takes you from zero knowledge to working-copper knowledge. Bear in mind by the time you graduate it is likely that new policing recruits will need to possess a degree/or undergo a degree apprenticeship -- which makes a whole lot of sense, given the number of dunderheads currently recruited.

Great, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending