The Student Room Group

Why don't people do more to work against the current education system?

Students, families, teachers and anyone else affected by this current education system need to do something to stop the destruction of our children. Children all over the country are being punished by the system which puts unnecessary stress on all people involved and takes away valuable time which they can spend with families, friends and just being young in general. It isn't fair that our young people should be put under this sort of treatment and not be able to do anything about it.

Scroll to see replies

Imo students still have lots of free time (and I am in year 13), and I think the education system in general is good preparation for life.

In life you will be stressed. In a test you only have 1 chance, in many jobs you can't afford to mess up once
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Students, families, teachers and anyone else affected by this current education system need to do something to stop the destruction of our children. Children all over the country are being punished by the system which puts unnecessary stress on all people involved and takes away valuable time which they can spend with families, friends and just being young in general. It isn't fair that our young people should be put under this sort of treatment and not be able to do anything about it.

OCR are tyrants
Reply 3
I am 17 and I agree that there is a lot of unnecessary stress put on students. Maybe the reason no one can do anything about is because the people in the education sector of the government don't post/do anything about it if that makes sense. I am sure many people especially young people and people who work in education would want a change.
exams are good for character building and testing ability, sorry

I would support the return of modular testing at A Level but thats about it.

Teachers are getting too lazy and often refuse to participate in SATS.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
OCR are tyrants

Amen to that... Chemistry, Biology, Economics and Business all with the devil that is OCR
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
Imo students still have lots of free time (and I am in year 13)

For example, at one school (and I'm guessing a lot more), they are expected to stay an hour after school, do AT LEAST 2 more hours of revision at home, on top of any homework that they get. Not including the homework, this takes it to at least 6:15. The students would often do clubs and stuff away from school and some of the things directly after school are longer than an hour. Students often have to stay behind to 5 and then go home to do even more revision and homework. Yes, this is year 11, but it shouldn't be happening.
I agree that it isn't fair and I also hate the current education system; but man that's life.

I don't know anyone else who can offer a better alternative education system. It is what it is. I hate it, oh god I despise it but what can you do? What CAN we do?

For example, at one school (and I'm guessing a lot more), they are expected to stay an hour after school, do AT LEAST 2 more hours of revision at home, on top of any homework that they get. Not including the homework, this takes it to at least 6:15. The students would often do clubs and stuff away from school and some of the things directly after school are longer than an hour. Students often have to stay behind to 5 and then go home to do even more revision and homework. Yes, this is year 11, but it shouldn't be happening.

From what I have seen in many jobs you will be expected to work overtime or even come in weekends to work.

With me I get 15hours of homework a week, but still have enough time to waste lol
Reply 9
Original post by hannah00
exams are good for character building and testing ability, sorry

I would support the return of modular testing at A Level but thats about it.

Teachers are getting too lazy and often refuse to participate in SATS.

Do you think being too stressed to sleep is good for character building? Do you think people often having to leave the class to avoid crying in front of everyone is good for character building? Do you think students feeling pathetic due to low marks on a test which apparently shows they aren't clever enough is good for character building? People know what students go through again and again, but it never seems to get better.
From what I have seen in many jobs you will be expected to work overtime or even come in weekends to work.

With me I get 15hours of homework a week, but still have enough time to waste lol

Yes, but that's work. You get paid. You can leave if you don't like it.
Because if you want to be successful later on in life it comes with a price. And it's better to get into the habit of hard work at an earlier stage because life is hard and there's no need to sugar coat it. Also it seems people take education for granted, if you gave a child with no opportunity in terms of education the chance we had, I'm sure they will take it without having any complaints so the best thing to do is to accept it.
Because if you want to be successful later on in life it comes with a price. And it's better to get into the habit of hard work at an earlier stage because life is hard and there's no need to sugar coat it. Also it seems people take education for granted, if you gave a child with no opportunity in terms of education the chance we had, I'm sure they will take it without having any complaints so the best thing to do is to accept it.

But this level of hard work, along with the other parts of the education system can destroy such a young brain. Most of the more stressed students I know are generally those that work hard which can so easily destroy their motivation which isn't. Those that care seem to be getting punished a lot for that.

Many have more than 15 hours.

Your call to action against the system would hold more weight if you didn't hide behind anonymous.
Original post by Drewski
Your call to action against the system would hold more weight if you didn't hide behind anonymous.

Why? Does that make the situation any worse?
Because they're too stupid to since the education system failed them.
The education system in the UK is fine. It's not like it's enslaving anyone, if you want to learn something differently.. You can do that too. All the subjects we learn are essential to understanding the real world, whether you like it or not as you first see it, you learn to like it in the end.
Why? Does that make the situation any worse?

You're asking why don't people do it but in the very same moment you're hiding away from being associated with doing it.

Don't you see the irony?
the UK education system is built on neoliberalism - until we adopt a more fair approach (which we won't), they will make you suffer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending