The Student Room Group

Can someone explain UCAS for me?

I have no clue on what requirements are needed for the those world-class University or normal Uni's . pretty much can someone briefly explain UCAS for me.
Reply 1
UCAS is an exam that everyone has to take to get into any uni in the uk

super hard so revise for it

best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Ak76

Thanks, and I'm currently in Year 11. Was just curious about UCAS... thats it :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by InfinityVirozon
Thanks, and I'm currently in Year 11. Was just curious about UCAS... thats it :biggrin:

no problemo - let us know if you need any help with the exam!
Original post by Ak76

Isn't UCAS the application system by which people use to get into university? I thought UKMT was the test?
Reply 5
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Isn't UCAS the application system by which people use to get into university? I thought UKMT was the test?

Stop trying to confuse the OP

The UKMT is a maths test for those who want to do it - sort of like a competition

UCAS - super hard test needed to get into uni
Original post by Ak76

eb6.jpg
Original post by Ak76

The UKMT is a maths test for those who want to do it - sort of like a competition

I wasn't trying to confuse anyone; but I'm pretty sure UCAS isn't a test...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCAS
Original post by Ak76

LMAO omg imagine! Don't be so mean! :lol:

OP, Ak76 is just pulling your leg. It's the application system to get into uni. You submit your grades (between Sept-Jan of Year 13) as well as a little page long personal statement about your goals to UCAS and they send it to the unis you apply for. No test involved. :wink:

Try not to think about it too much now, trust me, you'll get more than enough time to worry about it later. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Ak76

Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz

Can't tell if trolling or not.

UCAS stands for the University and Colleges Admissions Service. It's the platform that you'll use to apply to university, if you do. Most of the form entails simply entering in information such as your grades and schooling history. The bit that people stress about is the personal statement. Here, you have a maximum of 4000 characters (incl. spaces) or 47 lines (incl. spaces) to express why you want to study a particular subject and what makes you a strong applicant for it. Mention things such as work experience, supercurricular activities, volunteering, extra reading - anything relevant really. This single personal statement is sent to all of your university choices. You cannot send a different PS to each choice. As well as this, a school official will have to complete a reference for your application.

This is pretty much all you need to apply to universities in the UK. One notable exception is Cambridge, which requires some additional information in the form of the SAQ. This isn't too taxing and just asks for more details rather than requiring another PS or essay. Some courses at certain unis will require additional information to help them assess your suitability for a course. This could be in the form of an essay, portfolio, or entrance exam. This is usually done outside of UCAS and directly with the uni.

On UCAS, you will have 5 choices which you can apply to. Bear in mind that each course is one choice, not each uni. So if you apply to one uni for two different courses, that is two choices. There are a couple of exceptions. First of all, you can only apply to four medicine courses. You can, however, apply to a fifth non-medicine course with 4 other medicine choices. Secondly, if after sending your application to all 5 choices, you don't have any offers, you can add a sixth option in UCAS Extra. You should hopefully get some offers after applying. Offers are usually conditional on the basis of A levels - e.g. You are offered a place at a certain uni on a certain course on the basis that you achieve ABB at A-level. You can accept two offers: One as your firm, which you will definitely go to if you meet the offer, and one as your insurance, which you will only go to if you do not meet the condition of your firm choice. If you fail to meet both offers, you can use UCAS Clearing to get onto another course on or shortly after results day. You can also use UCAS Adjustment if you do better than expected in your A levels and want to go to a uni you hadn't originally applied to.

UKMT stands for the UK Maths Trust which run maths challenges for students in schools in the UK. I don't think it's related to UCAS in any way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending