The Student Room Group

Wearing shoes inside?

Hey everyone, I'll be moving to Manchester in September to start uni there, and I've heard Brits tend to wear shoes inside. Is this really true? Can anyone justify it?

Scroll to see replies

I never wear shoes inside in my own home. But it's true that people don't usually take their shoes off when they visit other people's home. Some do, but most don't. Some people might ask when they come in.
I assumed everyone wore shoes indoors...
Reply 3
Original post by Know Your Enemy
I assumed everyone wore shoes indoors...

I'm from Scandinavia and its incredibly rude to wear shoes inside, all you're doing is getting your house dirty. So it really is normal in the uk?
Reply 4
Original post by Donnalouise99
I never wear shoes inside in my own home. But it's true that people don't usually take their shoes off when they visit other people's home. Some do, but most don't. Some people might ask when they come in.

Im thinking about Uni accomodations. Ill be in a shared house with 7 others and I really dont know whether or not to expect people to take their shoes off.
Original post by eMuires
I'm from Scandinavia and its incredibly rude to wear shoes inside, all you're doing is getting your house dirty. So it really is normal in the uk?

Most homes have a doormat where you wipe your shoes when you go in.
Reply 6
I'm from the UK and it's just wrong to keep your shoes on. I know people that do it but it just gets your floors dirty
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Most homes have a doormat where you wipe your shoes when you go in.

But theyre still going to be dirty. Just seems rather strange to me, forcing your feet to stay inside shoes all day.

Moreover when the weather is shite (guessing this is about all the time) wouldnt you just drag a bunch of filth in with you?
Original post by eMuires

If it's not acceptable in your native culture, that's fair enough. I don't tend to spare a thought for those circumstances when I'm thinking generally, as the majority of people I know are British. I'm afraid wearing shoes indoors is normal, but most people have doormats on which they scuff dirt off their shoes before stepping indoors. A few houses I've been in, I've had to leave shoes by the door. I guess everyone's different.
Reply 9
Original post by ktech5
I'm from the UK and it's just wrong to keep your shoes on. I know people that do it but it just gets your floors dirty

Thank you! I mean I guess one could always clean their floors every 2-3 days thoroughly but thats almost a waste
Reply 10
Original post by ktech5

Most people likely change footwear indoors.
Original post by eMuires
But theyre still going to be dirty. Just seems rather strange to me, forcing your feet to stay inside shoes all day.

Moreover when the weather is shite (guessing this is about all the time) wouldnt you just drag a bunch of filth in with you?

In this case, I'm assuming people take them over and wear slippers?
Original post by eMuires

No, if your doormat is good no mess is taken inside. In my home I take my shoes off upstairs and wear slippers or go barefoot.
Reply 13
Original post by Know Your Enemy
If it's not acceptable in your native culture, that's fair enough. I don't tend to spare a thought for those circumstances when I'm thinking generally, as the majority of people I know are British. I'm afraid wearing shoes indoors is normal, but most people have doormats on which they scuff dirt off their shoes before stepping indoors. A few houses I've been in, I've had to leave shoes by the door. I guess everyone's different.

Makes sense, do you know what I should expect with shared housing when Uni starts?
Reply 14
Original post by eMuires
Hey everyone, I'll be moving to Manchester in September to start uni there, and I've heard Brits tend to wear shoes inside. Is this really true? Can anyone justify it?

Yes most do. You'll probably find everyone wears shoes/slippers in student accommodation.
Reply 15
Unless you're trekking through a field on your way home chances are your shoes aren't going to get that dirty, really. Sure you might not want to eat your dinner off the soles, but it's nothing that's going to cause you any serious harm. If you have infants/toddlers about then maybe you can justify a no-shoes rule, other than that it seems a bit petty to me.

That said if you don't want people wearing shoes in your room/home it's your decision, so it's not unreasonable to ask others to respect that. Might be more of a complex thing if you're sharing a house though.
Reply 16
Original post by Dez
Unless you're trekking through a field on your way home chances are your shoes aren't going to get that dirty, really. Sure you might not want to eat your dinner off the soles, but it's nothing that's going to cause you any serious harm. If you have infants/toddlers about then maybe you can justify a no-shoes rule, other than that it seems a bit petty to me.

That said if you don't want people wearing shoes in your room/home it's your decision, so it's not unreasonable to ask others to respect that. Might be more of a complex thing if you're sharing a house though.

Dam. Pretty interesting stuff, ill make sure to grab some slippers or something then.
Original post by eMuires
Dam. Pretty interesting stuff, ill make sure to grab some slippers or something then.

If your housemates are anything like my flatmates, the floors in your communal areas might be dirtier than outside, so you might want to wear shoes inside in that case. :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If your housemates are anything like my flatmates, the floors in your communal areas might be dirtier than outside, so you might want to wear shoes inside in that case. :wink:

That was my thinking too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by PhoenixFortune

Hahaha, alright that's snag I'll do then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending