The Student Room Group

looking extremely young for my age

so, i didn't become aware of this until recently but i keep getting comments on my appearance. people are gobsmacked when i tell them my real age. i am 18 now but i keep being told i look like a year 8 or even a primary school child and it is getting awkward. i know some people are going to say it is a compliment and maybe when i get much older i will appreciate it more but right now it is just making me insecure. i feel like when i walk into a building alone or a doctors appointment people stare, probably thinking "has this little girl lost her parents?" even when i wear some makeup and dress "older" (older teenage fashion) i still get mistaken for a child. i just fear it may hold people back from approaching me to get to know me. and it is more awkward because i just realised this.
Original post by Anonymous
so, i didn't become aware of this until recently but i keep getting comments on my appearance. people are gobsmacked when i tell them my real age. i am 18 now but i keep being told i look like a year 8 or even a primary school child and it is getting awkward. i know some people are going to say it is a compliment and maybe when i get much older i will appreciate it more but right now it is just making me insecure. i feel like when i walk into a building alone or a doctors appointment people stare, probably thinking "has this little girl lost her parents?" even when i wear some makeup and dress "older" (older teenage fashion) i still get mistaken for a child. i just fear it may hold people back from approaching me to get to know me. and it is more awkward because i just realised this.

maybe print and wear a T-shirt or something that says "Just turned 18" lol
Original post by Anonymous

Don't let it affect your confidence. You are who you are and you will learn how to project yourself. Ignore people who are negative towards you, if all they can think of is to be negative then they are the ones who are hollow inside. You will need to understand that in some circumstances some things may be more difficult for you, such as getting into an age restricted venue, but you just have to make sure you have a drivers ID or other documents that can prove your real age. I had a girlfriend many years ago who had a very small build, she had size 4 shoes and in many clothes she was a child size but she took it as a bonus that they were often a lot cheaper than the adult sizes! You will work out what works best for you, but do try and ignore the silly comments and people who think it is a joke like the other person who posted a reply to you here...!
Original post by BeingBoring
Don't let it affect your confidence. You are who you are and you will learn how to project yourself. Ignore people who are negative towards you, if all they can think of is to be negative then they are the ones who are hollow inside. You will need to understand that in some circumstances some things may be more difficult for you, such as getting into an age restricted venue, but you just have to make sure you have a drivers ID or other documents that can prove your real age. I had a girlfriend many years ago who had a very small build, she had size 4 shoes and in many clothes she was a child size but she took it as a bonus that they were often a lot cheaper than the adult sizes! You will work out what works best for you, but do try and ignore the silly comments and people who think it is a joke like the other person who posted a reply to you here...!

wonderful response

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending