The Student Room Group

Still feeling sick after seeing my GP

I'm 20, male and I have asthma and I've been sick since this time last week, started as a sore throat and what felt like a chest infection, coughing up phlegm, wheezing, somewhat of a headache, general tiredness etc..

Since then it feels like whatever it is is lower in my chest, like the bottom of my lungs rather than the middle of my chest.
Throats still somewhat sore but my voice sounds strange.
I now have pains in my chest, a tightness and it feels like my lungs are not getting as much air, but when my asthma acts up it's usually my throat not my chest, this feels different.
I also was feeling sweating a lot, or feeling very cold, but everyone else felt fine in the same room.

I went to the GP, he checked everything (ears, chest, throat, eyes, neck, blood pressure etc) and said I probably have or had a chest infection and that's causing my asthma to act up so he gave me antibiotics and steroid tablets for the week.
I'm also still taking panadol for the general pain and discomfort.

This is my second day taking it but yesterday I got a bad pain between my shoulder blades like I was pinching something, and today when I woke up my legs were/are sore, very stiff and I just generally feel achy.

I don't know what it is really, any ideas?
I'm just going to run the course of antibiotics and steroids and go back after that if nothing improves, or I'll go back before then if it gets worse.
It does sound like a nasty infection, but could also be flu! If it’s flu then I’m afraid it’s just a case of lots of water and rest and waiting it out.

If you are getting worried or are unable to breathe then go to A&E, asthma makes you high risk with these types of illnesses.
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
I'm 20, male and I have asthma and I've been sick since this time last week, started as a sore throat and what felt like a chest infection, coughing up phlegm, wheezing, somewhat of a headache, general tiredness etc..

Since then it feels like whatever it is is lower in my chest, like the bottom of my lungs rather than the middle of my chest.
Throats still somewhat sore but my voice sounds strange.
I now have pains in my chest, a tightness and it feels like my lungs are not getting as much air, but when my asthma acts up it's usually my throat not my chest, this feels different.
I also was feeling sweating a lot, or feeling very cold, but everyone else felt fine in the same room.

I went to the GP, he checked everything (ears, chest, throat, eyes, neck, blood pressure etc) and said I probably have or had a chest infection and that's causing my asthma to act up so he gave me antibiotics and steroid tablets for the week.
I'm also still taking panadol for the general pain and discomfort.

This is my second day taking it but yesterday I got a bad pain between my shoulder blades like I was pinching something, and today when I woke up my legs were/are sore, very stiff and I just generally feel achy.

I don't know what it is really, any ideas?
I'm just going to run the course of antibiotics and steroids and go back after that if nothing improves, or I'll go back before then if it gets worse.

You're really not going to feel any better after just one day of antibiotics; it's week's course for a reason. If you haven't improved after 5 days or so then that's when you should worry.
Original post by del1rious
It does sound like a nasty infection, but could also be flu! If it’s flu then I’m afraid it’s just a case of lots of water and rest and waiting it out.

If you are getting worried or are unable to breathe then go to A&E, asthma makes you high risk with these types of illnesses.

Yeah the Doc didn't seem to think it was the flu because my nose isn't running, I don't feel congested and the main symptom is really the tightness and pain in my chest, I think he was suspecting walking pneumonia or something to that effect because I had walked spent some time outside during the week as I walked to my lift from college, that was when we got the snow..
Original post by Glassapple
You're really not going to feel any better after just one day of antibiotics; it's week's course for a reason. If you haven't improved after 5 days or so then that's when you should worry.

Oh yeah I know, I'm just talking about how the pains are getting worse and I'm developing new ones.

My sick note runs out today so I don't know if I should/could extend it.
Oh yeah I know, I'm just talking about how the pains are getting worse and I'm developing new ones.

Definitely get it extended you don’t sound in any shape to go back yet
Reply 6

If you've become worse after starting the stuff I think it's worth at least calling a pharmacy to be sure it's not a side effect. I would say call your surgery tomorrow though and see if you can get some form of appointment. You can ask about three feeling worse and get the sick note situation sorted.
Hope it all sorts out soon and you feel better. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest