The Student Room Group

Circuit Laundry Hygiene

I have never heard any people raising concerns about any hygienic issues to do with circuit laundry. I have never heard anything about the companies keeping the machines clean. A simple google search with keywords such as circuit laundry hygiene, bacteria, germs gave me nothing.

I know there are things such as laundry cleansers, but really they aren't designed for these machines due to the fact that there is no access to separate slots for conditioners. Although I still add some to my wash, I doubt that it does anything.

I have seen machines with green mould between gaps of the door windows. The machines always smell bad to me. I have used circuit laundry machines in two different accomodation sites. Neither ever gave me a perception of good hygiene. I never felt completely safe using these machines at all.

I understand that the drying machines dry clothing at high temperature but it is not a necessary option. I think it is reasonable for people not to use the dryers to reduce the cost of wash and to avoid problems such as shrinked clothing.

Personally I do think that the company is responsible for keeping the machines clean and providing us a worryless service. Does anybody else agree or can anybody provide any further insight?
Original post by KyleCCH
I have never heard any people raising concerns about any hygienic issues to do with circuit laundry. I have never heard anything about the companies keeping the machines clean. A simple google search with keywords such as circuit laundry hygiene, bacteria, germs gave me nothing.

I know there are things such as laundry cleansers, but really they aren't designed for these machines due to the fact that there is no access to separate slots for conditioners. Although I still add some to my wash, I doubt that it does anything.

I have seen machines with green mould between gaps of the door windows. The machines always smell bad to me. I have used circuit laundry machines in two different accomodation sites. Neither ever gave me a perception of good hygiene. I never felt completely safe using these machines at all.

I understand that the drying machines dry clothing at high temperature but it is not a necessary option. I think it is reasonable for people not to use the dryers to reduce the cost of wash and to avoid problems such as shrinked clothing.

Personally I do think that the company is responsible for keeping the machines clean and providing us a worryless service. Does anybody else agree or can anybody provide any further insight?

First off the wash gets rid of germs and bacteria on your clothes. Yes mould does grow but a quick clean will solve that.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
First off the wash gets rid of germs and bacteria on your clothes. Yes mould does grow but a quick clean will solve that.

Yea, I do sound quite stupid, or really picky.

I am kind of unsure about that after seeing many articles about bacteria build up in machines popping up on a google search. Briefly going through one of them, they say that the washers aren't completely reliable. Although the articles might not be academic, nor have I read through all of them, it is hard not to have doubts. I know high temperature kills bacteria, so does some detergents, but apparently not all.

Besides, I have not heard of anything about cleaning the dirt inside the machines. In fact, a friend of mine got all of her white clothes dyed with horrible colours after using the machines. She was suspecting the pipes.
I use Circuit washers and dryers at uni, and they're awful. It seems to be a common thing across all the launderettes on campus, they break down frequently, and the washers are mouldy and temperamental. I don't feel comfortable using them either, but don't have much choice. The uni is aware of the poor quality of Circuit's service and are trying to improve things, but progress is extremely slow unfortunately
I've stopped using the dryers because they just spin my clothes around for 50 minutes and don't actually dry them. I hate these machines.
Original post by DrawTheLine
I've stopped using the dryers because they just spin my clothes around for 50 minutes and don't actually dry them. I hate these machines.

They're bloody expensive too.

I bought a laundry rack and never looked back.
Original post by Blue_Cow
They're bloody expensive too.

I bought a laundry rack and never looked back.

I know I hate how expensive it is to do a wash. I'm waiting until I run out of clothes before I do laundry to save money.
Original post by KyleCCH

Circuit are the bane of most students' lives. I've found that some of the washers smell a bit fusty, but once you use them, they just smell of the detergent you've used. I just try not to think about potential mould and the like.

I've also now accumulated enough clothes so that I only have to do my laundry every two weeks to save money, which still costs me £8. People in my halls have joked that they might need to start selling their kidneys if they want clean clothes.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Circuit are the bane of most students' lives. I've found that some of the washers smell a bit fusty, but once you use them, they just smell of the detergent you've used. I just try not to think about potential mould and the like.

I've also now accumulated enough clothes so that I only have to do my laundry every two weeks to save money, which still costs me £8. People in my halls have joked that they might need to start selling their kidneys if they want clean clothes.

Should I clean my blood or clean my clothes? Hmmmmmmmm
Original post by Blue_Cow
Should I clean my blood or clean my clothes? Hmmmmmmmm

It's a tough call...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending