The Student Room Group

McDonald's hack... is this strictly illegal?

I've heard a fair few people do this tbh... apparently works especially well when the restaurant is busy.

If you call a McDonald's restaurant & tell them that the food that you have just ordered is cold, mushy & disgusting, they will tell you to come back to collect a replacement order. Take down the name of the person you spoke to, tell them your order & go to the shop to pick up your meal.

At no point did you actually buy the meal that you claimed. You didn't spend a penny.

Is this strictly illegal? I know that it is very unethical (I've never done this before) but I can't see anything that is punishable by law in the UK. Essentially, all you did was lie on the phone & get a gift from McDonald's.
Wouldn't they want a receipt?
Original post by Student-95
Wouldn't they want a receipt?

Just pick one up off the floor
Reply 3
Original post by londoncricket
I've heard a fair few people do this tbh... apparently works especially well when the restaurant is busy.

If you call a McDonald's restaurant & tell them that the food that you have just ordered is cold, mushy & disgusting, they will tell you to come back to collect a replacement order. Take down the name of the person you spoke to, tell them your order & go to the shop to pick up your meal.

At no point did you actually buy the meal that you claimed. You didn't spend a penny.

Is this strictly illegal? I know that it is very unethical (I've never done this before) but I can't see anything that is punishable by law in the UK. Essentially, all you did was lie on the phone & get a gift from McDonald's.

That's not cricket.
Why would be legal? You've lied and are just after a free meal.
It's fraud.
Original post by moonkatt
It's fraud.

So that's illegal, right?

No. Fraud is perfectly legal.
Its fraud and fraud is against the law therefore it is illegal
Reply 9
Obvious fraud is obvious.

Fraud Act 2006:

Fraud by false representation (1)A person is in breach of this section if he— (a)dishonestly makes a false representation, and (b)intends, by making the representation— (i)to make a gain for himself or another

A representation is false if— (a)it is untrue or misleading, and (b)the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading
Reply 10
Original post by Bill Nye
No. Fraud is perfectly legal.

This is good advice :yep:

See what Reue said in post 10.
I'd assume that it's illegal?
I work at McDonald's. If something like this happened we would probably get a manager, ask you to confirm your receipt number and check it with our system and check your order on the system. At some places you may get away with it but please don't. We do burgers from 99p and people like you make our lives hell. Our job is hard enough already but being scammed and abused day in and out is horrible. Just be honest and buy your own food, then there is no risk. And if you are extra nice we might get you extra sauces and give you a great visit

Just use the code to get a free mcflurry or drink - that's what my friends do, i'm surprised they still accept them (they essentially go daily to get a free mcflurry)...
Just pay for your meal.
Amazes me the lengths people go to to get a free McDonalds. Just pay for it yourself.
Thank you all for your replies!

Original post by Reue
Obvious fraud is obvious.

Fraud Act 2006:

Fraud by false representation (1)A person is in breach of this section if he— (a)dishonestly makes a false representation, and (b)intends, by making the representation— (i)to make a gain for himself or another

A representation is false if— (a)it is untrue or misleading, and (b)the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading

Thank you for this. What is the consequence of this? I followed your link but I couldn't find the answer to that.

An extension to the initial question: how could someone get caught doing this? CCTV of course, but other than that, I can't really think of how?...

Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Just use the code to get a free mcflurry or drink - that's what my friends do, i'm surprised they still accept them (they essentially go daily to get a free mcflurry)...

Have heard that they don't work everywhere, which code are you referring to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending