The Student Room Group

Should i contact university to explain my illness during exams

I WAS SUFFERING from a migraine with aura, during my A-levels exams and I hardly managed to appear in exams. My college was aware of my situation. Should I contact universities to explain my situation and ask to lower my offer because I know I cant be able to think during my exams and I was feeling like my brain freeze. My predicted grades were AAA and I need AAB to get in y university but due to my mental health all my exams went terrible and i will not be surprised on result day if I missed my offer.
You need to check what the process is for your universities. Usually your school should contact them (as well as asking exam boards to take your illness into account).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You need to check what the process is for your universities. Usually your school should contact them (as well as asking exam boards to take your illness into account).

I discussed that with my head of year in school and he said that they can't contact universities until the result day(so i was thinking that i should contact universities before....but they sent a letter to exams board for special consideration
What uni and what course ? It depends tbh but yes do email them or write a letter
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I discussed that with my head of year in school and he said that they can't contact universities until the result day(so i was thinking that i should contact universities before....but they sent a letter to exams board for special consideration

Yes they can write now to unis to explain the effect on your ill health; I've done that for students in the past. Decisions are made before results day so that will be too late.

What does your university websites say about exceptional circumstances?

Your teacher is wrong to say that they can’t do anything until results day. For most universities that will be considered far too late and any appeals for leniency will be ignored.

What PQ said.

You can contact admissions informally just to check what the protocol is.
They might require a letter or they might have a form.

SC is only going to provide a small uplift if accepted.

How long did your migraine last and how many exams did it affect?
Did it stop you attending or did you try and soldier through?
Reply 7
Original post by nisha.sri
What uni and what course ? It depends tbh but yes do email them or write a letter

uni of york /biomedical (firm)
uni of reading /biochemistry(insurance)
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
What PQ said.

You can contact admissions informally just to check what the protocol is.
They might require a letter or they might have a form.

SC is only going to provide a small uplift if accepted.

How long did your migraine last and how many exams did it affect?
Did it stop you attending or did you try and soldier through?

It affects all my exams
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
What does your university websites say about exceptional circumstances?

Your teacher is wrong to say that they can’t do anything until results day. For most universities that will be considered far too late and any appeals for leniency will be ignored.

Can you please look on (york and reading)websites for me.
It affects all my exams

You had a migraine for 3-5 weeks?

Did you miss exams?
Can you please look on (york and reading)websites for me.

I’ve looked. They don’t seem to have a specific form or policy but it’s best to get in touch to check. Results day is too late. If they’ve rejected you at that point it’s very difficult for them to reverse that decision. You need to make sure they have your information on hand when they’re making decisions in the week before you get your results. And ideally they will need either evidence (ie a doctors note) or a letter from your referee.
You had a migraine for 3-5 weeks?

Did you miss exams?

I was diagnosed with migraine about 4 months before and I was taking medications.Migraine attack occurs every 2/3 time a day and I am still facing migraines even after my Alevels exams and have appointment after every one week because my conditions are not improving and it is getting worst

Nope.I didn't miss any exams
Original post by PQ
I’ve looked. They don’t seem to have a specific form or policy but it’s best to get in touch to check. Results day is too late. If they’ve rejected you at that point it’s very difficult for them to reverse that decision. You need to make sure they have your information on hand when they’re making decisions in the week before you get your results. And ideally they will need either evidence (ie a doctors note) or a letter from your referee.

Ok I will email them
I was diagnosed with migraine about 4 months before and I was taking medications.Migraine attack occurs every 2/3 time a day and I am still facing migraines even after my Alevels exams and have appointment after every one week because my conditions are not improving and it is getting worst

Nope.I didn't miss any exams

Had I known the riles at the time I would elect to miss exams.
Special consideration will only give you a small uplift maybe 2-3%. Unusual to have migraines 2-3 times a day.
Had I known the riles at the time I would elect to miss exams.
Special consideration will only give you a small uplift maybe 2-3%. Unusual to have migraines 2-3 times a day.

no......................
no......................

No what?

You arent the first student to have migraines.

Put in the sc claim
Make an ec claim to the uni at the appropriate time.

Whether it is enough will depend on your grades.
No what?

You arent the first student to have migraines.

Put in the sc claim
Make an ec claim to the uni at the appropriate time.

Whether it is enough will depend on your grades.

OK
I dont know how to make ec claim to uni, I will email them and ask about it.

Quick Reply

Latest