The Student Room Group

BTEC - university

Hi guys,

Just a quick question.

I’m in year 12, doing 3 BTEC subsidiary diplomas level 3, in business, sport & IT.

The following are the universities I’m keen on going to, Leeds being my first choice:

1 - University of Leeds (International Development)
2 - University of York (International Relations)
3 - University of East Anglia (International Development)
4 - University of Southampton (International Relations)
5 - University of Sussex (International Development)

They said they’re all happy to consider the qualifications I’m doing, my predicted grades aren’t made yet, however, I believe they will be 3 distinctions.

But the real question is, what university out of those 5 do you think will be most likely to accept me? Please put them in order.

Thanks
Original post by GOI983
Hi guys,

Just a quick question.

I’m in year 12, doing 3 BTEC subsidiary diplomas level 3, in business, sport & IT.

The following are the universities I’m keen on going to, Leeds being my first choice:

They said they’re all happy to consider the qualifications I’m doing, my predicted grades aren’t made yet, however, I believe they will be 3 distinctions.

But the real question is, what university out of those 5 do you think will be most likely to accept me? Please put them in order.

Thanks

If you get three distinctions, then I cant see any reason why you wont get an offer from all, especially if you have checked entrance requirements. Ranking them is a pointless exercise as they are on a par. Just apply and see what comes back.
Original post by GOI983
Hi guys,

Just a quick question.

Thanks

The only issue may be that you aren’t studying anything around IR at the moment. Can you take an EPQ and do something IR related? Alternatively look into studying some online courses (futurelearn etc) on IR topics.

They’re going to want to be sure that you know enough about the subject to make an informed decision about wanting to study it and are keen enough to stay motivated for three years.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
The only issue may be that you aren’t studying anything around IR at the moment. Can you take an EPQ and do something IR related? Alternatively look into studying some online courses (futurelearn etc) on IR topics.

They’re going to want to be sure that you know enough about the subject to make an informed decision about wanting to study it and are keen enough to stay motivated for three years.

Yes, I’m signed up for the EPQ. However I’ve missed a few lessons because of a timetable mix up, I’ll try and go back in on the Monday next week.

Also, can you give me some more online courses besides future learn I can do?
Original post by GOI983
Yes, I’m signed up for the EPQ. However I’ve missed a few lessons because of a timetable mix up, I’ll try and go back in on the Monday next week.

Also, can you give me some more online courses besides future learn I can do?

https://www.edx.org/course/subject/social-sciences
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses?utf8=%E2%9C%93&filter_category=politics-and-the-modern-world-courses&filter_availability=started
https://www.coursera.org/courses?_facet_changed_=true&domains=social-sciences&languages=en&primaryLanguages=en

edx and coursera are both US based and so don't have specific searches for politics/IR courses.

Both https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project?lr=1 and https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success?lr=4 are worth a look if you're taking an EPQ without much support (or are running behind).
Original post by GOI983
Can’t I just do a few future learn lessons and skip the EPQ?

That'll depend - you can list your EPQ in your qualifications but futurelearn isn't a formal qualification. So you can only mention it in your UCAS application within your personal statement.

The EPQ is well regarded by most universities - particularly some on your list make lower offers to people with a good grade because they think it's a particularly good preparation for university study.

I'd speak to your college about the EPQ - if you're struggling this year it might be possible to delay it until Yr 13 - which would give you lots of time to prepare a good topic and do some prep work over the summer holiday before Yr 13 to help you get a brilliant grade.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
That'll depend - you can list your EPQ in your qualifications but futurelearn isn't a formal qualification. So you can only mention it in your UCAS application within your personal statement.

The EPQ is well regarded by most universities - particularly some on your list make lower offers to people with a good grade because they think it's a particularly good preparation for university study.

I'd speak to your college about the EPQ - if you're struggling this year it might be possible to delay it until Yr 13 - which would give you lots of time to prepare a good topic and do some prep work over the summer holiday before Yr 13 to help you get a brilliant grade.

Thanks for the advice, however, I’d prefer to do it early as possible.

Additionally, are there any internships I can do?
Reply 8
Achieved an A in it! so happy. It was on the stagnating economy of DR Congo. Do you think I have a decent chance of picking up an offer from:Leeds - international relationsLancaster - international relationsYork- international relationsSouthampton -international relationsUEA - international relations A response would be much appreciated...
Original post by GOI983
Achieved an A in it! so happy. It was on the stagnating economy of DR Congo. Do you think I have a decent chance of picking up an offer from:Leeds - international relationsLancaster - international relationsYork- international relationsSouthampton -international relationsUEA - international relations A response would be much appreciated...

You can get an offer to all these unis, though all great non are impossible to attain. Best of luck.
Reply 10
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You can get an offer to all these unis, though all great non are impossible to attain. Best of luck.

Thanks very much, what are you doing at the moment?
Original post by GOI983
Thanks very much, what are you doing at the moment?

Watching a documentary about the origin of the internet tbh lol.
Reply 12
Watching a documentary about the origin of the internet tbh lol.

LOOL I mean in terms of study....
Original post by GOI983
LOOL I mean in terms of study....

Study management at Nottingham heading into year 2.
Reply 14
Study management at Nottingham heading into year 2.

What grades did you get in with?
AAB (Private foundation course) but fully A level equivalent.
Reply 16
AAB (Private foundation course) but fully A level equivalent.

Do you know where I can find students currently undertaking a btec course and aim to a similar course as mine?
Original post by GOI983
Do you know where I can find students currently undertaking a btec course and aim to a similar course as mine?

Make a thread calling all btec students lol, i dont know anyone doing anything but university at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending