The Student Room Group

MOD Security Clearance (SC)

Hi, I'd be grateful if anyone could give me some insight.

I've been given a provisional offer for a new role and I'm currently in the process of filling out the information for the security clearance. I've been asked to provide details of previous supervisors. I'm worried about them contacting one supervisor in particular as they screwed me over, I appealed against it and I'm worried she won't have anything nice to say. Does anyone know or have experience on the types of things they get asked about? Any specific questions that come up?

Please let me know if you have any information as it has me concerned.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cupcakekidnapper
Hi, I'd e grateful if anyone could give me some insight.

I've been given a provisional offer for a new role and m currently in the process of filling out the information for the security clearance. I've been asked to provide details of previous supervisors. I'm worried about them contacting one supervisor in particular as they screwed me over, I appealed against it and I'm worried she won't have anything nice to say. Does anyone know or have experience on the types of things they get asked about? Any specific questions that come up?

They'll have to be honest if a Vetting Officer contacts them. Don't worry too much about it.

Just declare it anyway as an SC is quite serious and one below DV :redface:
Original post by Blue_Cow
They'll have to be honest if a Vetting Officer contacts them. Don't worry too much about it.

Just declare it anyway as an SC is quite serious and one below DV :redface:

Thank you. I definitely will declare them. It just doesn't stop me from worrying what story they might try and spin.
Thank you. I definiely will declare them. It just doesn't stop me from worrying what story they might try and spin.

The Vetting Officer is probably aware of past managers/employers attempting to screw their ex-employees over :tongue: One terribly spun story shouldn't affect your SC application :borat:
Hi, I'd be grateful if anyone could give me some insight.

I've been given a provisional offer for a new role and I'm currently in the process of filling out the information for the security clearance. I've been asked to provide details of previous supervisors. I'm worried about them contacting one supervisor in particular as they screwed me over, I appealed against it and I'm worried she won't have anything nice to say. Does anyone know or have experience on the types of things they get asked about? Any specific questions that come up?

The biggest failure rate in these sort of checks is when the applicant fails to disclose something. Tell them everything and you are on the winning side already. They are unlikely to be deflected by one single bad reference.
Reply 5
I am in a similar situation bar I haven’t had a sticky situation with anyone thankfully. Is it the engineering apprenticeship by any chance?
Congratulations on the provisional offer though
Original post by beehall
I am in a similar situation bar I haven’t had a sticky situation with anyone thankfully. Is it the engineering apprenticeship by any chance?
Congratulations on the provisional offer though

How I wish I had no sticky situations. It's not for the engineering apprenticeship, it's for a HEO role. Thank you and congratulations on your offer. Has your status for the sc clearance changed to in progress yet ? And do you know of anyone who has recently had theirs done and how long it took after submitting the questionnaire?
Reply 7
Mine doesn’t say much other than pre employment checks are in progress. I’ve had to send them a few forms about any criminal offences and a list of professional references and as far as i know they haven’t contacted any of them yet.
I don’t know if it would be different due to the different roles however.
I know DBS can take quite a few weeks though.
Reply 8
These people know that not everyone will like you there just after knowing more about your back ground I have an SC clearance
Original post by TheMaid
These people know that not everyone will like you there just after knowing more about your back ground I have an SC clearance

I've had to just put that at the back of my mind now. How long ago did you apply for your SC clearance and how long did it take?
Original post by beehall
Mine doesn’t say much other than pre employment checks are in progress. I’ve had to send them a few forms about any criminal offences and a list of professional references and as far as i know they haven’t contacted any of them yet.
I don’t know if it would be different due to the different roles however.
I know DBS can take quite a few weeks though.

I done all that too. It sounds like it's a similar process. Hopefully we hear back sooner rather than later ey.
Reply 11
Mine didn’t take long as it was just a renew for a company as had already held an actual clearance for 17 years
Original post by TheMaid
Mine didn’t take long as it was just a renew for a company as had already held an actual clearance for 17 years

oh okay, I'm guessing the renewal process isn't as in-depth as the initial process.
Has anyone heard back yet? Im still waiting for the clearance to go through?? Getting a bit worried.
Reply 14
I still haven’t. I spoke to someone on the apprenticeship team who tried to reassure me that there’s quite a lot of time.
I wouldn’t worry, potentially they’re clearing 80 apprenices on top of whatever else so it’s going to take a while.
It’s so hard waiting though 😂
Original post by beehall
I still haven’t. I spoke to someone on the apprenticeship team who tried to reassure me that there’s quite a lot of time.
I wouldn’t worry, potentially they’re clearing 80 apprenices on top of whatever else so it’s going to take a while.
It’s so hard waiting though 😂

I've sent two emails, both have been ignored, I was tempted to walk in on monday morning and ask in person, but after reading all this, it's nice to know I'm not the only one in the dark. Hopefully it is just a big task which is taking the MoD longer then expected. Thanks for the reply, fingers crossed you hear spme good news soon as well.
hi all,

glad i came across this thread, if the SC says "completed" does that mean you've passed SC?
Reply 17
Original post by number926
hi all,

glad i came across this thread, if the SC says "completed" does that mean you've passed SC?

You will be informed of the outcome by your sponsor in due course. No one else can help or answer for you,
I forgot to provide an update. My SC took exactly 3 months to complete.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending