The Student Room Group

How many spiders have you had to get rid of at uni?

Poll

How many times have you gotten rid of a spider at uni?

This is the most random, trivial question ever, but how many spiders have you had to get rid of (kill/swipe out the window/etc.) during your time at uni and how many times was that in your room when you couldn't call anyone to help? Just asking for a friend :biggrin: :colondollar:

Feel free to share any horror/funny spider/bug stories too :lol:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
This is the most random, trivial question ever, but how many spiders have you had to get rid of (kill/swipe out the window/etc.) during your time at uni and how many times was that in your room? Just wondering :biggrin: :colondollar:

Can't actually remember getting rid of any spiders but my uni room was a mess anyway so I probably couldn't spot them :biggrin:.
I've never got rid of any personally but my first-year accommodation had quite a few giant spiders! One jumped out at me as I was about to start showering, so I shrieked and ran away :colondollar:

Then there was another time that one the size of my hand was sat on my door. I pointed it out to two male housemates but neither were willing to do anything about it :colonhash: (I mean seriously, what was the point of me living with 8 guys if none were gonna be spider catchers/removers for me? :nothing: )

Those are the two occasions I remember. There were probably a lot more that I've blanked out :eek:
Original post by Cryptokyo
Can't actually remember getting rid of any spiders but my uni room was a mess anyway so I probably couldn't spot them :biggrin:.

LOL one of the upsides of having a messy room :lol:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I've never got rid of any personally but my first-year accommodation had quite a few giant spiders! One jumped out at me as I was about to start showering, so I shrieked and ran away :colondollar:

Then there was another time that one the size of my hand was sat on my door. I pointed it out to two male housemates but neither were willing to do anything about it :colonhash: (I mean seriously, what was the point of me living with 8 guys if none were gonna be spider catchers/removers for me? :nothing: )

Those are the two occasions I remember. There were probably a lot more that I've blanked out :eek:

Oh gosh :redface: Was it old or modern accomodation? That sounds terrifying! Literally I'm so hoping my house/hallmates will be good spider removers because if not I'm/we're all screwed :colondollar:
Oh gosh :redface: Was it old or modern accomodation? That sounds terrifying! Literally I'm so hoping my house/hallmates will be good spider removers because if not I'm/we're all screwed :colondollar:

It was accommodation built in the 1970s, so old by many uni's standards but 'modern'-ish for my uni :tongue: Happy to report that my second and third year accommodation had no spiders whatsoever :biggrin:

I hope you fair better than me on that front :yep: :console: :eek:
More silverfish than spiders tbh, they didnt bug me (no pun intended) since my nan's ex council house used to have a lot in
One of my first silverfish encounters was one of my housemates overreacting about 'this grey blob in the bath' - such a princess :nothing:
Original post by CoolCavy
More silverfish than spiders tbh, they didnt bug me (no pun intended) since my nan's ex council house used to have a lot in
One of my first silverfish encounters was one of my housemates overreacting about 'this grey blob in the bath' - such a princess :nothing:

ARGH SILVERFISH.

I cannot cope with them.

Spiders are fine, but silverfish trigger something in me :afraid:
In my first second and third year I didn't see many spiders but in my fourth year house I killed 40 in 2 two days! We then had quite a few in throughout the year. However, I did live in a park so it kinda makes sense. The worst was when I was in the bathroom, I shut the door and this giant spider came out of nowhere and to make matters worse I was home alone until luckily my housemate came back and she could remove it for me! I am terrified of spiders

Also had so many woodlice in my room. Note to everyone never live surrounded by grass!
(edited 5 years ago)
It was accommodation built in the 1970s, so old by many uni's standards but 'modern'-ish for my uni :tongue: Happy to report that my second and third year accommodation had no spiders whatsoever :biggrin:

I hope you fair better than me on that front :yep: :console: :eek:

Ahh interesting! Luckily it was only first year then :h: Here's hoping :redface: :crossedf:

Original post by CoolCavy

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
ARGH SILVERFISH.

I cannot cope with them.

I've never ever come across silverfish in my life before but just google imaged them now so if I do, I'll know what they are :redface: To be honest, if I saw one of those and I didn't know what it is I would be like WHAT IS THAT and run away in case it had a poisonous bite or something :lol: I'm ultra paranoid when it comes to those things! :laugh:

Original post by kayleighisonfire
In my first second and third year I didn't see many spiders but in my fourth year house I killed 40 in 2 two days! We then had quite a few in throughout the year. However, I did live in a park so it kinda makes sense. The worst was when I was in the bathroom, I shut the door and this giant spider came out of nowhere and to make matters worse I was home alone until luckily my housemate came back and she could remove it for me! I am terrified of spiders

Also had so many woodlice in my room. Note to everyone never live surrounded by grass!

Oh my days, 40?! I'm so glad you said that because I would have never thought about whether the accommodation was surrounded by grass or not :laugh: Oh gosh woodlice as well! :shock: Not the hugest fan of those either I must say! Cockroaches are awful too :nooo:
(edited 5 years ago)
No spiders thank god but a few daddy long legs, they're creepy as hell bt would take them any day over spiders *shudders*
During my first degree, the house I lived in was Edwardian and had fireplaces on every floor. Unfortunately one of the two chimneys wasn't blocked up properly, so I would forever have huge black spiders appearing out of nowhere. I absolutely hated living there because of that, I was always on edge and searching the rooms to make sure they were spider-free.

During my current degree I'm living in private halls which are in a Victorian building, but luckily it's a lot more sealed than my previous accommodation and so the only spiders I routinely see (maybe once or twice a term) are house spiders which I'm used to. On two occasions I've had to deal with smaller versions of the demon black spiders like those in my previous accommodation, but I worked out that I must have accidentally brought them in myself on parcels/shopping bags, so I always check things before bringing them into the sanctity of my room!
This thread makes me anxious for my own accomodation (if I get in of course) because I am not a spider killer
None, spiders get rid rid of me.
Luckily, I've had an abundance of non-arachnophobic housemates and nosy neighbours happy to persecute trespassing arachnids on my unknowing behalf.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
ARGH SILVERFISH.

I cannot cope with them.

:eek:
they are quite cute really :teehee:

Ahh interesting! Luckily it was only first year then :h: Here's hoping :redface: :crossedf:

I've never ever come across silverfish in my life before but just google imaged them now so if I do, I'll know what they are :redface: To be honest, if I saw one of those and I didn't know what it is I would be like WHAT IS THAT and run away in case it had a poisonous bite or something :lol: I'm ultra paranoid when it comes to those things! :laugh:

Dont worry they are harmless :yep: just means there is damp, they come out when its dark :ninja:

Was this in England?!

I've been living happily with the thought that spiders that big didn't exist in these places :eek:
Original post by I'm God
Was this in England?!

I've been living happily with the thought that spiders that big didn't exist in these places :eek:

Yes, it was at Oxford :sadnod:
Quite a few actually. In first year I lived right by the entrance of my hall on the ground floor, so we had a fair amount of spiders wandering in. On the first night I moved there, a friend of mine who has a big fear of spiders had me remove one from her wall, and I reckon that cured my own (less extreme) fear of spiders - since then I've had no problem catching them in a cup and putting them outside, sometimes I actually like to look at them for a bit before I let them out :smile:

Often I'll leave them alone if they're on a wall or a ceiling, but if I see one running across my bed or the floor (it happens sometimes), it has to go outside :tongue:
I never had to get rid of any while I was in halls.. although there was an absolutely massive one crawling round on one of the welcome lectures and loads of the girls ended up standing on the chairs screaming haha. Not me by the way! I don't like them, but I'm not that bad.
Yes, it was at Oxford :sadnod:

My God!

Now I'm worried if there are any in my house :afraid:
This is the most random, trivial question ever, but how many spiders have you had to get rid of (kill/swipe out the window/etc.) during your time at uni and how many times was that in your room when you couldn't call anyone to help? Just asking for a friend :biggrin: :colondollar:

Feel free to share any horror/funny spider/bug stories too :lol:

I'm going into second year in September and so far I only had to kill 1 spider in the bathroom. It was a tiny one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending