The Student Room Group

Crow's a level journey [6 a levels, olympiads and more!]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Muttley79
That's only accepted if they are doing F Maths and some unis don't even like that. I would not bother re-sitting them - focus on the 4 important A levels.

I called Oxford and they said it would be alright if I took them in year 11 and 12. I will focus in the 3 sciences and maths for sure, I'll just spare a short time to improve my grade (if applicable), thanks for your advice :smile:
Original post by Crow_M
I'm doing the normal GCSEs in Wales, we kept the old grading system but reformed the specs. I'm so glad I learn extremely fast, certainly was a game changer in year 7-11.

Ah, okay :smile: I do like the differentiation the number system gives, although more so when I thought I would be getting several 9s ... since the exams my love for it has dwindled slightly :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by Crow_M
GYG means Grow Your Grades, I'll tag you from now on :smile:

Ohh makes sense even though I doubt you need to grow them you seem like an A* student already. Thanks!
Reply 43
Original post by MaizieAmyr
Ohh, ok. I was confused as to who this was. Hello crow? :biggrin: Seems like some great stuff you have planned, keep me tagged. If you do any physics or maths olympiad papers or prep can you pm me a copy if that is possible? Thanks and GL. :woo:

I tricked you :u:, hello maizie :biggrin:. I'll post my progress with revision, if you are interested in any resources that I use, please pm me and I'll be more than happy to share any revision resources that I use :smile:. Good luck to you too!
Original post by Crow_M
Please take into consideration that I had a C grade in maths in year 10 and I was catching up with 13 subjects plus my English is my second language.

I'm more prepared to next year, I'm aiming for gold or higher in the Olympiads, I'll surely give my best to improve. Did you go to a summer school? If so, do you have any resources from it? Would be helpful if you do :smile:

I'm a maths teacher and volunteer for UKMT - the challenges re not about knowledge but problem solving. There are lots of resources on these websites:
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/browse.php?mode=ukmt

You have to do well in the challenge to get through to the Olympiads.
tag me up brother! good luck
Good luck with it all. I find the fact that you managed to improve your English to such a great extent in such a short time-span really impressive and respectable. Despite the fact that I'm bilingual, I think I would struggle to accomplish such a feat myself.
Reply 47
Original post by une rock
Bruhh I just realised you’re only going into year 12 and you’re already killing it. I usually always say “good luck” when I’m stalking gygs but you hardly need it lmao. Aight stop gassing you up now good luck regardless

(tag me)

I do need a bit of luck too, need those generous examiners x)
Reply 48
Original post by ab173
Ohh makes sense even though I doubt you need to grow them you seem like an A* student already. Thanks!

I don't underestimate A Levels, they're quite hard compared to GCSE, it's doable and I'll not leave everything until the last minute :smile:.
Reply 49
Original post by Tolgarda
Good luck with it all. I find the fact that you managed to improve your English to such a great extent in such a short time-span really impressive and respectable. Despite the fact that I'm bilingual, I think I would struggle to accomplish such a feat myself.

Thanks! I gave my best to improve my English. Good luck with whatever you're doing (GCSEs, A levels, degree?) :redface:
Reply 50
Original post by SomMC1
tag me up brother! good luck

Thanks! Will tag you for sure!
Original post by Crow_M
Thanks! I gave my best to improve my English. Good luck with whatever you're doing (GCSEs, A levels, degree?) :redface:

Haha, much appreciated. I plan to pursue a career in teaching English - so I'm probably not aspiring as grandly as you are, but for a degree in linguistics or literature from a reputable institution.
Original post by Crow_M
I tricked you :u:, hello maizie :biggrin:. I'll post my progress with revision, if you are interested in any resources that I use, please pm me and I'll be more than happy to share any revision resources that I use :smile:. Good luck to you too!

You did! :shakecane: :rofl: Sure, I'll pm you, it's mainly just any physics and maths olympiad papers that you use for practice. Thanks :hugs:
Reply 53
Haha, much appreciated. I plan to pursue a career in teaching English - so I'm probably not aspiring as grandly as you are, but for a degree in linguistics or literature from a reputable institution.

Are you starting A Levels? If so, which? :smile:
Correct me if I'm wrong but those degrees lead to journalistm, is that correct?
Reply 54
Original post by riannon2001
I did almost exactly the same thing - I'm lucky in that I've been blessed with a very good memory.

Do you do IGCSEs? I'm on the numerical scale but in many ways prefer the old grading system.

At the moment I'm thinking either History or Linguistics at uni - though I may choose to do a joint honours and add French in too. From what I've read I'm sure you'll have no problem getting into whichever uni you choose! :smile:

It would be nice if I sat maths 9-1 gcse as a 9 sounds better than an A* but I'm in Wales so that's not going to happen 😅
Original post by Crow_M
It would be nice if I sat maths 9-1 gcse as a 9 sounds better than an A* but I'm in Wales so that's not going to happen 😅

It only sounds better if you get 9s :rofl: 11A* sounds much bettter than 2 9s and 9 8s (that formatting :frown:)
Reply 56
Original post by MaizieAmyr
It only sounds better if you get 9s :rofl: 11A* sounds much bettter than 2 9s and 9 8s (that formatting :frown:)

2 9A and 9 A*s sounds even better :rofl:

Playing the system 😂
Original post by Crow_M
2 9A and 9 A*s sounds even better :rofl:

Playing the system 😂

:shakecane: :rofl:
Original post by Crow_M
Are you starting A Levels? If so, which? :smile:
Correct me if I'm wrong but those degrees lead to journalistm, is that correct?

I'm doing three A-levels: mathematics, English language and English literature.
Those degrees do lead to journalism, but I could also train to become a teacher after acquiring them.
Reply 59
I'm doing three A-levels: mathematics, English language and English literature.
Those degrees do lead to journalism, but I could also train to become a teacher after acquiring them.

Seems like a great combo! I found English Lang and lit hard at GCSE, talk about doing both at A Level :rofl:

2 days to pick your AS results, tell me how it goes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending