The Student Room Group

I got an offer then I was rejected?

I got an offer from Glasgow through clearing and then on UCAS they declined my offer?

Can they even do this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yenson
I got an offer from Glasgow through clearing and then on UCAS they declined my offer?

Can they even do this?

In general, they shouldn't do this.

Did you miss the deadline for adding the course on UCAS?

Do you have anything confirming the offer in writing or the name of the person who gave you the offer?
Reply 2
Not really, ring Glasgow
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
In general, they shouldn't do this.

Did you miss the deadline for adding the course on UCAS?

Do you have anything confirming the offer in writing or the name of the person who gave you the offer?

Yup ive got two emails from them saying if you get the grades that I had and add this to your clearing choice by the end of the day (that I did) I would receive my place.
Original post by Yenson
Yup ive got two emails from them saying if you get the grades that I had and add this to your clearing choice by the end of the day (with I did) I would receive my place.

OK, I would ring the uni ASAP- they may have just rejected you in error.

If that doesn't work, call UCAS and they should be willing to help (you may have to ask to speak to someone more senior as UCAS have been a bit rubbish at times this year).
Reply 5
OK, I would ring the uni ASAP- they may have just rejected you in error.

If that doesn't work, call UCAS and they should be willing to help (you may have to ask to speak to someone more senior as UCAS have been a bit rubbish at times this year).

Got it, on the phone to Glasgow now... or at least on hold.
Original post by Yenson

There are direct contacts for undergraduate admissions departments here:
https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/contact/

Which may be worth a try if you get no joy through the central number.

Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Good luck, I hope you get your offer!
Original post by Yenson

tell us how the phonecall goes :u:
good luck:smile:))
Reply 9
Original post by Samakatun
Good luck, I hope you get your offer!

There are direct contacts for undergraduate admissions departments here:
https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/contact/

Which may be worth a try if you get no joy through the central number.

Good luck!

Original post by peachystudy
tell us how the phonecall goes :u:
good luck:smile:))

The guy on the phone said he can see thats the offer has been unsuccessful but said there is no information as to why. He gave me an email for the deputy head of admissions so ive sent her an email and will report back on this thread once I hear back from her. (she's on her lunch break)
Original post by Yenson
The guy on the phone said he can see thats the offer has been unsuccessful but said there is no information as to why. He gave me an email for the deputy head of admissions so ive sent her an email and will report back on this thread once I hear back from her. (she's on her lunch break)

Hopefully it's just human error and she is able to sort things out for you.

Do keep us updated and hopefully we can help if there are any problems!
Hopefully it's just human error and she is able to sort things out for you.

Do keep us updated and hopefully we can help if there are any problems!

I agree, they shouldn't have declined your offer in the first place if human error wasn't the case.
Keep us updated, and hopefully you get the offer! :tongue:
Original post by Yenson

Let me know what happens!
I agree, they shouldn't have declined your offer in the first place if human error wasn't the case.
Keep us updated, and hopefully you get the offer! :tongue:

Unfortunately, a few uni this year over offered in clearing and then rejected applicants after the fact.

It's really terrible of the unis- but it does happen- especially with unis that aren't used to being in clearing.

I haven't heard of Glasgow doing this, though, so hopefully it is just a mistake and OP can get things sorted.
Unfortunately, a few uni this year over offered in clearing and then rejected applicants after the fact.

It's really terrible of the unis- but it does happen- especially with unis that aren't used to being in clearing.

I haven't heard of Glasgow doing this, though, so hopefully it is just a mistake and OP can get things sorted.

This is so upsetting :frown: I thought people were offered in clearing and that was it! Best of luck to OP
This is so upsetting :frown: I thought people were offered in clearing and that was it! Best of luck to OP

I don't want to say too much, because I don't want to worry the OP, but unis can alter/change/remove an offer if they say it was made in error. This isn't just in clearing, it's also in the standard application cycle.

In some cases, UCAS will insist that the uni honours the offer anyway (particularly, for example, if it's in the standard application cycle and the applicant accepted the offer months ago). However, in some cases, where it's a clear error, UCAS will agree to let the uni take away or amend the offer.

It's not good practice, and if a uni gets a reputation for doing this a lot in clearing then it will harm their reputation over all.

In OPs case- as they have the right grades and did everything correctly, I doubt this applies and I imagine UCAS will be on their side too.

This is part of the reason why we warn people to take names and job titles when getting a verbal offer in clearing.
I don't want to say too much, because I don't want to worry the OP, but unis can alter/change/remove an offer if they say it was made in error. This isn't just in clearing, it's also in the standard application cycle.

In some cases, UCAS will insist that the uni honours the offer anyway (particularly, for example, if it's in the standard application cycle and the applicant accepted the offer months ago). However, in some cases, where it's a clear error, UCAS will agree to let the uni take away or amend the offer.

It's not good practice, and if a uni gets a reputation for doing this a lot in clearing then it will harm their reputation over all.

In OPs case- as they have the right grades and did everything correctly, I doubt this applies and I imagine UCAS will be on their side too.

This is part of the reason why we warn people to take names and job titles when getting a verbal offer in clearing.

I had essentially no idea that this happened at clearing, but I'm pretty confident that UCAS will be on their side, since, like you said, they did everything correctly. Now I'm just eagerly waiting for further updates from OP, the suspense is just nail-biting! :afraid:
Do you have written evidence/confirmation of the offer?
I had essentially no idea that this happened at clearing, but I'm pretty confident that UCAS will be on their side, since, like you said, they did everything correctly. Now I'm just eagerly waiting for further updates from OP, the suspense is just nail-biting! :afraid:

Yeah, fortunately it's not something that is too common- but St Georges I know did it with some medicine offers in clearing this year.

Often it's unis who don't have as much experience with being in clearing that will make mistakes.
Reply 19
Yeah, fortunately it's not something that is too common- but St Georges I know did it with some medicine offers in clearing this year.

Often it's unis who don't have as much experience with being in clearing that will make mistakes.

Original post by connormc199
Do you have written evidence/confirmation of the offer?

Original post by ScrewTheExams
Let me know what happens!

Update:

They said "We send out provisional offer emails to all our applicants who have come through RUK Clearing and we do not have you recorded as receiving one of these provisional offer emails ie you are not in database which may be an administrative error. Please can you send me a copy of the provisional offer email you received from the University."

So ive forwarded the provisional offer and waiting to hear back once again.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this, it means a lot and helped me feel a lot less stressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending