The Student Room Group

What method of execution should the UK use in the event capital punishment returns?

Poll

What method of execution should be used if the UK brings back capital punishment?

So, after brexit we leave the EU and are allowed to leave the ECHR and repeal the Human Rights Act 1998 we bring back capital punishment what method should we use to execute murderers, rapists, terrorists and child sex offenders?

Hanging tbh makes sense from a traditional standpoint but I think the lethal injection would be the chosen one as it is the prime method used in the United States and China. However I am an advocate of the Electric Chair as I feel it is the most symbolic method of execution in the 20th century. Criminals then feared it and most likely today's criminals would do too. I would also have UK electric chairs painted yellow like the world famous yellow mama electric chair in Kilby State Prison in Montgomery, Alabama. Alabama one of the toughest states in regards to law and order, they along with Texas are states with law and order system that the UK (or England and Wales at least) should be trying to replicate.

Scroll to see replies

There is no genuine political desire to bring back capital punishment.

Thankfully this isn't some uncivilised country like Saudi Arabia.
Original post by Sulfolobus

Civilised countries have capital punishment, the United States of America and Japan have capital punishment and both are civilised and top three global economies in the world. The number one economy China has lots of capital punishment despite it being civilised being debatable.
If someone murders someone they deserve to get killed. We will only the pain of losing loved ones due to murder and seeing the killer still alive when we are directly affected.
Texas and Alabama only have "hard" laws for brown people. If you're white, you just have "affluenza" and/or "a promising future that shouldn't be spoiled".
Japan in the last few weeks executed some terrorist *******s.
There is not the support in Parliament and now the latest opinion poll I have seen not even 50% of the general population who want the return of the death penalty. It is not going to happen upon Brexit.
Original post by Mr Daily Mail
Civilised countries have capital punishment, the United States of America and Japan have capital punishment and both are civilised and top three global economies in the world. The number one economy China has lots of capital punishment despite it being civilised being debatable.

Only 31 states have capital punishment in the US, with the number declining rather than increasing; it's fairly rare in Japan (only three in 2016, varying amounts in other years); and China really isn't a good pro-death penalty argument. Capital punishment as a whole is increasingly uncommon in 'civilised' countries and we're not exactly going to legalise it just because we're leaving the EU.

It was made illegal in this country for a reason, and the chances of innocent people being executed are just too high. See the case of Timothy Evans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Evans. One person is one too many; you can release someone from prison, but not undo death etc. etc.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
and the chances of innocent people being executed are just too high.

But perhaps more significantly, the chances of guilty people being acquitted are even higher.

Reintroducing capital punishment means more murderers will walk free.
According to alot of people execution is already back, delivered through linear A levels. :biggrin:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Only 31 states have capital punishment in the US, with the number declining rather than increasing; it's fairly rare in Japan (only three in 2016, varying amounts in other years); and China really isn't a good pro-death penalty argument. Capital punishment as a whole is increasingly uncommon in 'civilised' countries and we're not exactly going to legalise it just because we're leaving the EU.

It was made illegal in this country for a reason, and the chances of innocent people being executed are just too high. See the case of Timothy Evans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Evans. One person is one too many; you can release someone from prison, but not undo death etc. etc.

US also has the highest prevalence of violent crime for a developed country, ie its not even an effective deterrent.
Well, this is a cheery thread.

Quite frankly, I'd be disgusted to see capital punishment in my country, thank you very much.

Brexit shouldn't have happened either. Most voters were not sufficiently politically minded to have an idea what they were voting for, and were easily brainwashed by the garbage that flooded the media. If there was a second vote, I can guarantee that Remain would scoop an easy victory, now that a lot of Leave voters have educated themselves on the topic. This is because they have begun to experience/hear about first hand the impact of their vote in applying a small turning force to the ship that is our country, hence steering it ever more towards that iceberg.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hanging. As thats the method that we used to have
I don't believe in capital punishment. However if any form were to return I'd say lethal injection as it is the most humane way of killing someone.
Original post by nulli tertius
But perhaps more significantly, the chances of guilty people being acquitted are even higher.

Reintroducing capital punishment means more murderers will walk free.

I believe it was called pious perjury back in the day.
Original post by Sulfolobus

I’m pretty sure There’s high level suppprt for the death penalty
Firing squads definitely
Original post by Mr Daily Mail

And with the exception of China, both have rather high crime rates. So taking Japan as the control, what are we to conclude about the death sentence? That it controls crime, or allows victims to exert vengeance? And what about all those innocents who get killed by the state in the name of justice?
Old age
GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending