The Student Room Group

Topshop theft ban - Questions pls help

ok hey guys! I've never really used this site before for my own questions but I've been in a bit of a pickle. I did something that is really unlike myself, which caused a few issues. basically im a dumb ***** who almost ruined her life at a young age!!!!!!!!

[tl;dr down below]

Basically, my friend and I were going to go shopping (Oxford Circus) for clothes and stuff for sixth form (we're 16) and then had the idea to just steal seeing as how expensive everything is. I KNOW THIS IS A TERRIBLE MINDSET AND I FEEL ABSOLUTELY AWFUL ABOUT DOING IT AND THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!!! We went to Urban Outfitters and she took a lot of stuff including designer but I was a bit scared so I just took a face spray, exfoliator, a belt and a plain t-shirt from the sale section. The feeling when we left and not being caught was incredibly exhilarating so we went to TopShop to continue our 'adventure'. I'm pretty sure I took around £30 worth stuff while she took a whopping £200(?) but all together it was still a grand amount. We went to TopShop and I was still a bit wary so I hardly eyed many things. I took a moisturizer and sheet mask and the total was £51 and she took £100 worth of stuff. We left the store having no beep happen but we were however stopped by these 2 men. They basically told us that we had been found leaving with items we haven't purchased and to do what they say or they'll have to call the police and OBVIOUSLY we didn't want to get a criminal record and we followed suit. We were taken to the back and had to answer these questions about what we stole, how we were going to pay it back, why we did it and we got searched AND HAD TO TAKE MUGSHOTS!!! I looked really bad in them as I was sobbing in fear smh - they even thought it was crocodile tears. At that point I was like **** this is it for me one stupid thing I did and my whole life is over. Thankfully the store owner may have felt pity for us as she let us off with just a Ban under Arcadia stores and returning the items without paying. We both said thank you and apologised and are both very shocked about it and completely regret everything we did. I feel so awful and guilty about it but I'm glad I got this scare so that I never do it again and I will talk my friends out of doing it now too. I still have a few questions as everything was a bit vague on this form they made us sign.

[tl;dr my friend and i stole stuff from 2 different stores and got caught at topshop and got a ban from all arcadia stores]

So my questions are:

1. What is Arcadia?
2. Will I be banned from all these stores?
3. How long will I be banned for?
4. Could I ever get a job under all the Arcadia stores?
5. Will this go around all TopShop stores and Arcadia stores?
6. As we had to return stuff from Urban Outfitters too, will we be banned from Urban Outfitters as well?
7. Is this common or are we dumb shits for getting caught and this happening?
8. Will future employers/schools/unis know about the ban and what happened?

I know this is really long but I hope you guys can answer! Thank you so much for reading and if the owner see this thank you so much for letting us off and I'm so sorry for everything I will continue to repent over this.
(edited 5 years ago)
You can never go back into Arcadia stores as Arcadia covers multiple brands across the uk. You are banned for life if they didn't give you a date, so you could never work or go into any of these stores which are are by the Arcadia brand.

The brands covers all shops you stole from link below:

https://www.arcadiagroup.co.uk/brands
Original post by James3200
You can never go back into Arcadia stores as Arcadia covers multiple brands across the uk. You are banned for life if they didn't give you a date, so you could never work or go into any of these stores which are are by the Arcadia brand.

The brands covers all shops you stole from link below:

https://www.arcadiagroup.co.uk/brands

Thank you so much! However, I am still a bit confused because the store owner/manager said to us that if we come back in 6 months with the intent to buy then we can come and that we can still shop online. Everything was very vague and they didn't give us information at all in the form.
Original post by stanloonagirlies
Thank you so much! However, I am still a bit confused because the store owner/manager said to us that if we come back in 6 months with the intent to buy then we can come and that we can still shop online. Everything was very vague and they didn't give us information at all in the form.

well if they said you can go back in 6 months you can go back in 6 months, just don't steal from Arcadia again as that could get you the ban for life. You have been given a second chance.

You'll just have to shop for your stuff online in the meantime.

One further thing on the form there is should be contact information you can use to speak to Arcadia about your ban or call either the registered office or the customer service numbers link below:

https://www.arcadiagroup.co.uk/contacts
(edited 5 years ago)
I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't able to apply for jobs at any of the Arcadia stores, they're not going to want thieves working for them, are they? Think of the consequences of your actions next time and stop being so selfish and greedy
Arcadia group is the owner of: Topshop, Topman, Dorothy Perkins, Evans, Wallace, Burtons, Miss Selfridge and outfit.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't able to apply for jobs at any of the Arcadia stores, they're not going to want thieves working for them, are they? Think of the consequences of your actions next time and stop being so selfish and greedy

No need to be condescending. :smile: I know I've made a mistake and I regret it a lot. Thanks for the response though
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by James3200
well if they said you can go back in 6 months you can go back in 6 months, just don't steal from Arcadia again as that could get you the ban for life. You have been given a second chance.

You'll just have to shop for your stuff online in the meantime.

One further thing on the form there is should be contact information you can use to speak to Arcadia about your ban or call either the registered office or the customer service numbers link below:

https://www.arcadiagroup.co.uk/contacts

Thank you so much for this information! I'm sorry for bothering you about this but thanks regardless :smile:
Original post by Andrew97
Arcadia group is the owner of: Topshop, Topman, Dorothy Perkins, Evans, Wallace, Burtons, Miss Selfridge and outfit.

Thank you for informing me on that! :smile:
Thank you for informing me on that! :smile:

No worries. There’s no point on me having a go at you for the shoplifting bit, others have done that.

you will be able to go into some of these stores, there are over 2500 Arcadia owned stores in the UK. The vast majority will not care to check whether you are banned or not.
As you pointed out, you are a bit of a muppet, but in reality, are they really going to be able to detect if you walk into every single one of these shops across the whole country? I think not. The banning order is more of a case that if you are caught again, they may choose to throw the book at you. Take this one on the chin, keep your head down and next time pay, or leave empty handed.
Original post by Andrew97
No worries. There’s no point on me having a go at you for the shoplifting bit, others have done that.

you will be able to go into some of these stores, there are over 2500 Arcadia owned stores in the UK. The vast majority will not care to check whether you are banned or not.

Thank you so much for the nice response! I will end up having to go in disguise with a moustache and glasses. My mum had a go at me so I don't need it from anyone else - especially strangers on the internet hahaha
Original post by ByEeek
As you pointed out, you are a bit of a muppet, but in reality, are they really going to be able to detect if you walk into every single one of these shops across the whole country? I think not. The banning order is more of a case that if you are caught again, they may choose to throw the book at you. Take this one on the chin, keep your head down and next time pay, or leave empty handed.

Yeah, I'm the biggest muppet around sadly. Thank you for the response though! I probably won't head back in a while just in case. Maybe a year would be okay?
No need to be condescending. :smile: I know I've made a mistake and I regret it a lot. Thanks for the response though

I'm not being condescending at all. I'm just saying it how it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending