The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Why did you choose to study with the Open University?

Hi, I am considering doing a Psychology degree with the OU in the future and I'm curious why others choose to do distance learning rather than attending a physical/normal university. For me personally, I think I'd cope better with distance learning due to ongoing mental health problems I have.
Someone in my friendship group studied with Open University instead of going to traditional brick uni. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do after finishing A-levels, so she took a gap year and then started her Open Uni degree. It is cheaper than going to a brick uni in terms of tuition and accommodation costs (seeing as you study from home) and she prefers the more independent learning style of her course, although she has tutors to contact if she has difficulty. Distance learning also allowed her to work at the same time, which helped her financially.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I chose the open university because I hate the classroom setting and being forced to work with people.
In real life lectures can either go to fast, to slow or get completely and pointlessly off track.
With the open university I can go at my own pace, study when I want to, and be completly focused on the work and still have acess to a tutor whenever I need help.
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
Hi, I am considering doing a Psychology degree with the OU in the future and I'm curious why others choose to do distance learning rather than attending a physical/normal university. For me personally, I think I'd cope better with distance learning due to ongoing mental health problems I have.

Working at your own pace in your own time.
It's cheaper.
I wanted to stay home and not move away.
I wanted to continue working and stay employed.
I didn't want to go through the hassle of a PS and interview and wait to be accepted.
Being on a campus would not be conducive to my studying and you only get one chance, I didn't want to screw it up!
I start my first year with OU in October. Like most people I chose because I didn’t want to leave home or risk unemployment. I’m currently off sick but knowing I can still better myself helps a lot.

But I also chose it because of my mental health. I have severe anxiety and didn’t want to push myself over the edge.
Flexibility

The way of the world is now to be a life learner. I think the OU was well ahead of the game. Now you see MOOCs, and MBA programmes with life long learning built in. Learning will never end, the world is too competitive now and the OU is the perfect vehicle for academic learning and networking with cross-industry professionals.
I already have an OU degree and I am starting my second. I originally started with the OU as I was recovering from cancer and too unwell to attend a campus uni; I found the support second to none and I loved the whole experience.
I went to a campus uni this year to do my Masters and hated it; I had little support and I felt stifled by the lack of autonomy that I had with the OU.
I saw the Open University as an option since 2012, but decided to study Linguistics at a physical university. I just finished it (and loved my subject) but I've always loved the idea of studying towards a science degree. So that's what I am doing now. If it weren't for the new part-time loan for 2nd degree STEM subjects though I wouldn't have been able to do that. It also fits in nicely with my future plan of travelling whereby a physical uni would have tied me down again.

Also, I love to learn new things but I was getting so uncomfortable in the classroom because everyone was younger and I felt so out of place. Some students at my uni were there just for the sake of being there, I think. At the OU though students are here because they really want to study and learn. It's great to have a group of eager and motivated students around me.
Reply 8
I am thinking of learning physics through the OU.
Reply 9
As most people have already said, it is cheaper, allows more flexibility and you can work at the same time! One of my friends and even my mum are doing an open university course and they love it because they can work at the same time. However in physical uni's you always have support tutors and counselling available to you. Depending on the mental health issues you have, sometimes seeing people in person can help you feel less isolated ... or the whole uni experience (as it did for me my first two years) can make you feel more isolated. Ultimately, only you can decide what you can and cannot handle and both options are great options if you want to do a degree. Good luck making your decision and I hope your mental health improves in future.

Quick Reply

Latest