The Student Room Group

Uni of Surrey

Whats the university of Surrey like? I have an open day coming up but for some reason loads of people just arent a fan of it? like i get it, its not cambridge but i havent seen anything groundbreaking so far? When i tell my friends that surrey might be one of my choices, theres always one that laughs but they never say why? Even on tiktok, people will say its dead but every uni seems dead to me so idk whats happeneing
Friend of mine did very well there. Started as an undergrad and finished off studying for an engineering doctorate.
The architecture is a bit brutalist but Guildford is well connected to London. Just go with an open mind. You might like the location, the general feel, the academic staff etc. Or you might not. Your friends now are not going to be with you for the next stage of your education/life so choose what is right for you and don't worry about their approval (or lack of).
The Uni I would have chosen for my son was a world away from what he chose for himself and he's loving it, so I hope you'll also be able to find somewhere that clicks for you.
Original post by Anonymous
Whats the university of Surrey like? I have an open day coming up but for some reason loads of people just arent a fan of it? like i get it, its not cambridge but i havent seen anything groundbreaking so far? When i tell my friends that surrey might be one of my choices, theres always one that laughs but they never say why? Even on tiktok, people will say its dead but every uni seems dead to me so idk whats happeneing

Hello,

It's great to hear that you're considering the University of Surrey. I've been studying here for four years, and my experience has been quite positive. The campus is beautiful, and there's a lot of support available. It's true that post-COVID effects may have influenced people's engagement, but there are still numerous opportunities to get involved. I've personally been involved in various activities, from support roles to extracurriculars like the yoga society and politics. It's all about making your uni experience what you like. Don't be discouraged by what others say; it's about finding the right fit for you.

I'd recommend still attending our open day to help you decide if you could see yourself studying there 😊 Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending