The Student Room Group

Transferring University Next Year

I'm looking tot transfer from Abertay University next to year to perhaps Aberdeen or somewhere like that within Scotland. However, I need 60% or B average and passes in all modules at first sitting - Do you think is possible for Scots Law? I got an A & 5B's in my exams and I failed maths which hinders me when wanting to transfer universities. I'm unsure if I should take a gap year and try attain maths and perhaps see if there is any other higher courses I could do to get another A or two but I'm not sure how. Should I try do really well in my 1st at Abertay to transfer or should I take a gap year and reapply the following year? I really want to be in university and try do well this year but I'm worried if I get limited offers. Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by SKaz09
I'm looking tot transfer from Abertay University next to year to perhaps Aberdeen or somewhere like that within Scotland. However, I need 60% or B average and passes in all modules at first sitting - Do you think is possible for Scots Law? I got an A & 5B's in my exams and I failed maths which hinders me when wanting to transfer universities. I'm unsure if I should take a gap year and try attain maths and perhaps see if there is any other higher courses I could do to get another A or two but I'm not sure how. Should I try do really well in my 1st at Abertay to transfer or should I take a gap year and reapply the following year? I really want to be in university and try do well this year but I'm worried if I get limited offers. Any advice would be appreciated.

When you say you failed maths, what level did you fail it at?

60% or above is definitely doable if you work hard and focus. I wouldn't worry too much about getting limited offers- you can only go to one uni- as long as you know you can get one or two offers.
Original post by SKaz09

I think your best bet would be directly contacting the universities with your ideas. You can find contact information when you look at the website for the course you wish to pursue.

Personally I'd rather take a gap year and get maths at acceptable grade then reapply next year as university work is much more challenging especially when you are saying you'd rather go somewhere else and are not interested where you are going.
If you are not motivated you will not succeed
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
When you say you failed maths, what level did you fail it at?

60% or above is definitely doable if you work hard and focus. I wouldn't worry too much about getting limited offers- you can only go to one uni- as long as you know you can get one or two offers.

Hi, I failed N5 maths & I got an F.
Original post by SKaz09
Hi, I failed N5 maths & I got an F.

If you can retake this at some point, I would- unfortunately not having a maths qualification at this level may hold you back in many areas of your life.

Is there any way you could do this alongside your degree (e.g. evening classes?).
Reply 5
If you can retake this at some point, I would- unfortunately not having a maths qualification at this level may hold you back in many areas of your life.

Is there any way you could do this alongside your degree (e.g. evening classes?).

I had a look at evening classes and the college located near my university is already 5 weeks into classes. I'm worried I won't perform as well on Law as it's a demanding course and as I already struggle with maths it may be too much at once... Maybe I could do science instead of maths?
Original post by SKaz09
I had a look at evening classes and the college located near my university is already 5 weeks into classes. I'm worried I won't perform as well on Law as it's a demanding course and as I already struggle with maths it may be too much at once... Maybe I could do science instead of maths?

In general, maths is the one that most employers look for- this is part of the reason a lot of unis are so keen on it.

I agree overstretching yourself is a bad idea, but a lot of students manage to balance work and study, for example- so perhaps you could make time for maths?
Reply 7
In general, maths is the one that most employers look for- this is part of the reason a lot of unis are so keen on it.

I agree overstretching yourself is a bad idea, but a lot of students manage to balance work and study, for example- so perhaps you could make time for maths?

Yeah I agree, I'm worried I've missed a lot to start a maths course. Do you think I could take a science instead of maths as I might have a better chance of getting a pass or do you recommend maths?
Original post by SKaz09
Yeah I agree, I'm worried I've missed a lot to start a maths course. Do you think I could take a science instead of maths as I might have a better chance of getting a pass or do you recommend maths?

As I said above, maths and English tend to be the subjects unis/employers are after.

Why not talk to somewhere offering evening classes and see if they can advise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending