The Student Room Group

Got ABB now I'm lost

So I'm disappointed in myself to get ABB and I want to do a law conversion. Trouble is I know for a fact that big law firms only take from prestigious unis and with ABB my chances of going to unis I intended of applying to this year (UCL,LSE,Bristol etc) are very slim.

I know those unis also don't like retakes so it feels like I hit a brick wall and I really don't have a clue what to do. I need some help and advice asap...thank you in advance guys

Scroll to see replies

Big law firms DO NOT only take in from the top law schools.

Plenty of good places take in ABB (for law). Liverpool to about the Leeds, Exeter tier. For other subjects, you can get in with ABB into Bristol, Warwick for sure. Even UCL for some niche topics.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Find out from the universities directly if a candidate who has retakes is disadvantaged at all because I think you would be surprised thats its more of a myth than the actual truth. (Especially Bristol/Exeter/Manchester)

If you have finished A-levels already and you are now considering retaking etc - then i would take the year out to do retakes then apply with AAB/AAA to Universities. I would try ensure you get AAA prediction as the minimum. Most universities, will give you offer based on AAA predicitons & if it comes down to the fact that you get AAB on results day then there is a good chance you will get in - as I know many candidates this year who missed their Law Offers but still got in. Eg. AAB into Manchester University for LAW.

To go from ABB to AAA isnt that difficult as you only have to retake certain units. Your most important goal is to now have a different approach & see what was ineffective first. Please remember If you apply the same strategy again as first time, you will get the same results, which is known as insanity.

If you do choose to a gap year, then you have just chosen to open hundreds of doors of opportunity - especially a chance for to discover yourself.
As someone, who is a science student in the final year of their degree, I have mentored dozens of students to get into university - the biggest mistake you can make is to rush into a university or course you don't like. You will most likely do only one degree in your life, so make it count & enjoy it because your primary education ends only in 3-4 years & then it stays with you forever.
Original post by Chowoski
Find out from the universities directly if a candidate who has retakes is disadvantaged at all because I think you would be surprised thats its more of a myth than the actual truth. (Especially Bristol/Exeter/Manchester)

If you have finished A-levels already and you are now considering retaking etc - then i would take the year out to do retakes then apply with AAB/AAA to Universities. I would try ensure you get AAA prediction as the minimum. Most universities, will give you offer based on AAA predicitons & if it comes down to the fact that you get AAB on results day then there is a good chance you will get in - as I know many candidates this year who missed their Law Offers but still got in. Eg. AAB into Manchester University for LAW.

To go from ABB to AAA isnt that difficult as you only have to retake certain units. Your most important goal is to now have a different approach & see what was ineffective first. Please remember If you apply the same strategy again as first time, you will get the same results, which is known as insanity.

If you do choose to a gap year, then you have just chosen to open hundreds of doors of opportunity - especially a chance for to discover yourself.
As someone, who is a science student in the final year of their degree, I have mentored dozens of students to get into university - the biggest mistake you can make is to rush into a university or course you don't like. You will most likely do only one degree in your life, so make it count & enjoy it because your primary education ends only in 3-4 years & then it stays with you forever.

Thanks for your reply - I 100% agree with you about the gap year - however I also believe if you are retaking then your studies take more priority than any other activity whether it be work travel etc.
I actually plan on doing a course like Economics/Maths/Finance as 1.Grade requirements are lower than Law and 2. I can do a GDL when I graduate. Just for reference I achieved ABB in Maths,Geography and Biology respectively. Do you think it would be wiser to retake Geo/Bio to get A's, (leaving me with 3 A's) or undertake Further Maths, try and get A* and retake Maths to improve A to A* leaving me with A*A*BB?
Original post by Notoriety
Big law firms DO NOT only take in from the top law schools.

Plenty of good places take in ABB (for law). Liverpool to about the Leeds, Exeter tier. For other subjects, you can get in with ABB into Bristol, Warwick for sure. Even UCL for some niche topics.

Thanks so much for the reply, giving me so hope for sure!
Reply 5
Original post by ligays99999
Thanks for your reply - I 100% agree with you about the gap year - however I also believe if you are retaking then your studies take more priority than any other activity whether it be work travel etc.
I actually plan on doing a course like Economics/Maths/Finance as 1.Grade requirements are lower than Law and 2. I can do a GDL when I graduate. Just for reference I achieved ABB in Maths,Geography and Biology respectively. Do you think it would be wiser to retake Geo/Bio to get A's, (leaving me with 3 A's) or undertake Further Maths, try and get A* and retake Maths to improve A to A* leaving me with A*A*BB?

From now (September to Exam time [MAY]) is about 9 months. That's a lot of time, trust me! You can do so many things along with studying & retaking.
Retaking studies can be a priority yes but honestly you can enjoy the time from now until January to go after other things.

I like the pathway you have suggested however trust me doing a GDL after graduation isn't the easiest thing to do, especially when applying & getting in, despite yes being completely possible. If you want to do a mathematical based course then do it because you enjoy it & if youre strong at the subject too (which your alevel grade suggests yaay), its a good choice however its far different from studying Law.

One reason why it may be good to do the path you suggested is because studying Law as a degree in itself is said to be actually quite boring over the 3 years. Thats why to do a Law degree, you do need an actual passion for it because you will have to remain consistent. If you feel that this would be an issue for you then definitely study maths first then do conversion. However, if you feel you'd definitely love to get stuck into the theories & principles of Law & the abundance of information then keep this door open.

If you do retake things, i would definitely just forget about Maths and close that door. You've got your A, now improve the other 2. Geography & Biology are much easier to improve then Maths itself. Especially Biology, I would resit all the biology units/exams that you didn't get A, even if it was one off an A, as the easier 1st year units, become so easy when retaking. I did a similar thing for Chemistry and I went from D to A for Alevel!

I reckon that by just focusing on geography & biology you can get A* in both - if you prepare well, you don't need more than 4 months as these retakes. You just have to have your material ready and devise a new strategy, so you don't set up for failure again (ABB not really a failure but you know what I mean).
From now (September to Exam time [MAY]) is about 9 months. That's a lot of time, trust me! You can do so many things along with studying & retaking.
Retaking studies can be a priority yes but honestly you can enjoy the time from now until January to go after other things.

I like the pathway you have suggested however trust me doing a GDL after graduation isn't the easiest thing to do, especially when applying & getting in, despite yes being completely possible. If you want to do a mathematical based course then do it because you enjoy it & if youre strong at the subject too (which your alevel grade suggests yaay), its a good choice however its far different from studying Law.

One reason why it may be good to do the path you suggested is because studying Law as a degree in itself is said to be actually quite boring over the 3 years. Thats why to do a Law degree, you do need an actual passion for it because you will have to remain consistent. If you feel that this would be an issue for you then definitely study maths first then do conversion. However, if you feel you'd definitely love to get stuck into the theories & principles of Law & the abundance of information then keep this door open.

If you do retake things, i would definitely just forget about Maths and close that door. You've got your A, now improve the other 2. Geography & Biology are much easier to improve then Maths itself. Especially Biology, I would resit all the biology units/exams that you didn't get A, even if it was one off an A, as the easier 1st year units, become so easy when retaking. I did a similar thing for Chemistry and I went from D to A for Alevel!

I reckon that by just focusing on geography & biology you can get A* in both - if you prepare well, you don't need more than 4 months as these retakes. You just have to have your material ready and devise a new strategy, so you don't set up for failure again (ABB not really a failure but you know what I mean).

As far as I’m aware you have to retake all the exams in an A Level you can’t just resist units? They’d have to do the whole A level again and you’d usually be expected to do 3 A Levels in a year not just 2 so it’s best to check that @ligays99999
I got into Warwick with 3 Bs
Original post by ØdeToSleep
I got into Warwick with 3 Bs

What course?
Original post by Nathan Scott
What course?

Sociology 😬
Original post by J-SP
The GDL won’t exist after 2020 (for those wanting to become a solicitor anyway).

So if you want to become a solicitor the only path is through 3 year Law degree?
. Please remember If you apply the same strategy again as first time, you will get the same results, which is known as insanity.

I agree with this, I'm resitting and changing my methods slightly, lets hope this works!

So glad to hear that too

Spoiler

Original post by J-SP
The GDL won’t exist after 2020 (for those wanting to become a solicitor anyway).

Is the GDL being scrapped IN 2020?

From what I've read, there is going to be a transition period where students already studying a degree may choose to stick with the old system of LPC rather than taking the SQE exams. Is this not also the case with the GDL?
I would shot my shot,

And apply for UCAS with a really well crafted personal statement.

I applied to an AAB course with ABB predictions and got offers.

Even students from the still very good "second tier" (which i attend tho not law) of the RG get training contracts...look at the youtuber eve. She went to Bristol. Has a successful youtube channel and contract.
I got ABB at A Level, I was predicted A*AA and had a place at Cambridge to study Law. I took a Gap Year, worked for year in a Legal related job and retook my A levels and will be going to Durham this year. If you do decide to retake, it can work out, I also got offers from Nottingham and Liverpool. Taking a gap year was the best decision I ever made.

I have also met qualified solicitors in the City from a variety of different universities, it's not all Oxbridge and London, especially with the move towards CV blind recruitment.
Original post by J-SP
Yes, currently planned to be scrapped for the solicitor route in August/September 2020.

There will be a transition period but that will only be available for those who have started a law course prior to September 2020 (LLB, GDL). If you hadn’t started an LLB or GDL by then you’d need to take the SQE route.

Presumably the OP will be starting undergrad before 2020 though?
Original post by J-SP
Only relevant if they choose to do a law degree. They seem to suggest they will choose a non-law degree subject

Ah understood!
Original post by sophie2658686
I got ABB at A Level, I was predicted A*AA and had a place at Cambridge to study Law. I took a Gap Year, worked for year in a Legal related job and retook my A levels and will be going to Durham this year. If you do decide to retake, it can work out, I also got offers from Nottingham and Liverpool. Taking a gap year was the best decision I ever made.

I have also met qualified solicitors in the City from a variety of different universities, it's not all Oxbridge and London, especially with the move towards CV blind recruitment.

Oh nice congratulations! How did you manage to secure a legal job?
Original post by ligays99999
Oh nice congratulations! How did you manage to secure a legal job?

Thanks, I got very lucky, a company fairly near me had a job opening for a junior admin in an in-house legal team.

And if you do retake, it's so much easier second time around, I did a fraction of the revision and got much better grades simply because I was no longer so stressed out.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I would shot my shot,

And apply for UCAS with a really well crafted personal statement.

I applied to an AAB course with ABB predictions and got offers.

Even students from the still very good "second tier" (which i attend tho not law) of the RG get training contracts...look at the youtuber eve. She went to Bristol. Has a successful youtube channel and contract.

You say that like Bristol is bad, you need A*AA to attend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending