The Student Room Group

Help with london buses?

London noob here. I've done research but just have one question.

So do I lit just walk on the bus swipe my contactless debit card without saying anything and it's charged me a single?

I'm from manchester, excuse my ignorance.

Ty
Original post by Plus7

So do I lit just walk on the bus swipe my contactless debit card without saying anything and it's charged me a single?

Ty

Technically yes but travel usually costs a lot more via contactless, try to get an oyster if you’re here for long enough. Either way you tap it and go, just costs less 😂
Reply 2
Original post by wantingp
Technically yes but travel usually costs a lot more via contactless, try to get an oyster if you’re here for long enough. Either way you tap it and go, just costs less 😂

Strange. I heard they were the same rates :O. I will rarely be using buses (my uni halls is on campus) so I don't know. Thank you for this, I'll for sure order one. Contactless just seems like much less bother.

On another note I cannot believe how much cheap buses in London are to Manchester. Manchester has ridiculous prices. 1.50 for a single when in Manchester you literally pay £400 to go down the damn road. God damn.
Original post by Plus7
Strange. I heard they were the same rates :O. I will rarely be using buses (my uni halls is on campus) so I don't know. Thank you for this, I'll for sure order one. Contactless just seems like much less bother.

On another note I cannot believe how much cheap buses in London are to Manchester. Manchester has ridiculous prices. 1.50 for a single when in Manchester you literally pay £400 to go down the damn road. God damn.

If you’re here in uni it’s worth it to have an oyster, you’ll have to get on trains eventually 😂 (charged me £5 once for one tap on contactless) but yes buses are relatively cheap :smile:. Also oysters give you cheaper rates as you’re young
Original post by Plus7

Ty

Yep just make sure you remember to tap out too! There are student oysters with reduced rates that are good idea if you're going to be using the tube and buses on a regular basis (although might not be worth the initial cost if you'll only be using them every now and then)
Reply 5
Original post by umbrellala
Yep just make sure you remember to tap out too! There are student oysters with reduced rates that are good idea if you're going to be using the tube and buses on a regular basis (although might not be worth the initial cost if you'll only be using them every now and then)

Eh I'm not using them often. I'll be biking around (until my bike is possibly stolen lmao).

I actually heard numerous times on websites you don't tap out on buses, just trains and the like. Just tap in ^_^
Reply 6
If you’re here in uni it’s worth it to have an oyster, you’ll have to get on trains eventually 😂 (charged me £5 once for one tap on contactless) but yes buses are relatively cheap :smile:. Also oysters give you cheaper rates as you’re young

Oh for sure I will use trains (docklands dlr etc), but I have to get a train when I arrive in London to my campus. Did you tap out after the journey because I heard they charge full rate if not. Sorry if you're a born and bred Londoner, I don't mean to question your homeland knowledge lmao.
Original post by Plus7
Eh I'm not using them often. I'll be biking around (until my bike is possibly stolen lmao).

I actually heard numerous times on websites you don't tap out on buses, just trains and the like. Just tap in ^_^

I'm not brave enough to cycle in London it's pretty scary out there haha. Oh really? I've never used buses but I use the tube all the time so I assumed it all worked the same sorry! Which uni are you going to if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Plus7
Oh for sure I will use trains (docklands dlr etc), but I have to get a train when I arrive in London to my campus. Did you tap out after the journey because I heard they charge full rate if not. Sorry if you're a born and bred Londoner, I don't mean to question your homeland knowledge lmao.

For buses only tap in, trains tap in at the gate at the station’s entrance and tap out at the exit of the station you get off at.
Reply 9
I'm not brave enough to cycle in London it's pretty scary out there haha. Oh really? I've never used buses but I use the tube all the time so I assumed it all worked the same sorry! Which uni are you going to if you don't mind me asking?

UEL, you? :smile: I was told by a girl online to 'man up' when I said I was coming to London from Manchester. Hahaha. Watch, I'll die two seconds in.
Reply 10
For buses only tap in, trains tap in at the gate at the station’s entrance and tap out at the exit of the station you get off at.

Thank you, thank you. You've saved me from making an idiot out of myself as I usually do.
Original post by Plus7
Thank you, thank you. You've saved me from making an idiot out of myself as I usually do.

Its all good, you’ll be fine I still find myself having to ask directions from time to time!
Original post by Plus7

Yes that's right, there is no tapping out on buses as it's a fixed fare (£1.50) no matter how far you travel. The Hopper fare means you can take unlimited buses for no additional cost tapping in within the first hour of travel, and then the daily cap for buses is £4.50.

For buses the fare is exactly the same on both Oyster and contactless, however if you have a railcard it's worth getting an Oyster for discounted tube and train fares.
Reply 13
Original post by jameswhughes
Yes that's right, there is no tapping out on buses as it's a fixed fare (£1.50) no matter how far you travel. The Hopper fare means you can take unlimited buses for no additional cost tapping in within the first hour of travel, and then the daily cap for buses is £4.50.

For buses the fare is exactly the same on both Oyster and contactless, however if you have a railcard it's worth getting an Oyster for discounted tube and train fares.

Thank you! It's safe to say I'm never returning to Manchester. F*cking rip off merchants lmao.
Original post by Plus7
UEL, you? :smile: I was told by a girl online to 'man up' when I said I was coming to London from Manchester. Hahaha. Watch, I'll die two seconds in.

SOAS! Yeah... it's brutal, not that I know what Manchester is like in comparison but I'm sure once you've been doing it long enough you'll be fine. Just please always wear a helmet, to go without it is a death wish lol
Original post by Plus7
Thank you! It's safe to say I'm never returning to Manchester. F*cking rip off merchants lmao.

Buses outside London on the whole are terrible - infrequent services, high fares, cash only payment, no buses in the evenings or on Sundays...

I'm from Yorkshire and I never go on buses when I'm back up here. :lol:
Reply 16
SOAS! Yeah... it's brutal, not that I know what Manchester is like in comparison but I'm sure once you've been doing it long enough you'll be fine. Just please always wear a helmet, to go without it is a death wish lol

I've been to central London for appointments before. Nearly got hit by ten thousand cars. It's like a stampede. It's definitely more intense than town in Manchester. I will for sure wear a helmet, the bad thing is I probably can't use sidewalks like in Manchester because the pavements will be fuller. I'll have to research cycling in London lol.

Quick Reply

Latest