The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ak239139
Hi there. My brother has a D*D*D* in btec ICT and I tried to convince him to apply for ofxord or oxbridge. Would he have much chance with D*D*D*? he didn't do any GCSE's or GCSE equivalent

What degree is he interested in pursuing?
Reply 2
Original post by ruthf
What degree is he interested in pursuing?

I believe computer science or economics and management
Reply 3

Oxford requires A*AA for Computer Science with at least an A in maths and with the A* in maths, further maths or computing.

For Econ and Management they require A*AA with at least an A in maths.

He would have to do A-levels in order to be accepted.
He has no chance I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Original post by humanteaparty
He has no chance I'm afraid.

But on their website it says a D* is equivalent to a A* in a level? wont he have any chance in any subject?
Reply 6
But on their website it says a D* is equivalent to a A* in a level? wont he have any chance in any subject?

Nope, but you have 5 places to apply, if you can afford to 'burn' 1 of them then go for it. But the chances of him getting in is minute.
Reply 7

Possibly but it is highly competitive to get a place at Oxbridge and he will be up against people who have sat A-levels. He won’t be able to get into computer science or economics and management because they have specific subject requirements. There is more to an application than grades. He will have to take some sort of entrance exam probably or give in some written work. Not having GCSEs does reduce his chances further I’m afraid.
They say they accept them if you look here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1

But keep in mind the general competitiveness but no GCSEs mean he has a virtual nil chance
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ruthf
Possibly but it is highly competitive to get a place at Oxbridge and he will be up against people who have sat A-levels. He won’t be able to get into computer science or economics and management because they have specific subject requirements. There is more to an application than grades. He will have to take some sort of entrance exam probably or give in some written work. Not having GCSEs does reduce his chances further I’m afraid.

Original post by Nuttyy
Nope, but you have 5 places to apply, if you can afford to 'burn' 1 of them then go for it. But the chances of him getting in is minute.

But doesn't it give them a good sign that he had 3 D* in btec and didn't set any GCSE's as we only came from another country. He came in 2 years ago so he started btec and not gcse's
Reply 10
But doesn't it give them a good sign that he had 3 D* in btec and didn't set any GCSE's as we only came from another country. He came in 2 years ago so he started btec and not gcse's

It does but if the subject requires maths A-level and he hasn’t got a maths A-level then they won’t accept him. He is better off applying to do a course with no specific subject requirements because they will all be for A-level subjects.
Need to do A-Levels or IBs really for Oxbridge.

While CompSci at Oxford accepts a BTEC + an A* at A-level maths, I'm pretty sure a member of the department said no-one has got a high enough MAT score in recent years.
If he has no gcse equivalents or the type of exams you guys take arent accepted by oxford, that makes his chances absolutely 0. Maths is pretty much essential for most computer science courses so the fact that he doesnt do that means that even if he did have gcses, he would be rejected anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
They want A levels. Even if the BTEC D* is ‘equivalent’ A* a level it’s not what they want.

With no GCSE equivalents either his chances are pretty much 0 to be honest. If he does A levels and gets the grades they want then maybe but he also has no GCSEs or equivalent. He will be up against lots of other people who have met these requirements
Reply 15
Oxford DOES accept btec but they want an A level with it too
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi there. My brother has a D*D*D* in btec ICT and I tried to convince him to apply for ofxord or oxbridge. Would he have much chance with D*D*D*? he didn't do any GCSE's or GCSE equivalent

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

For Computer Science at Oxford, we will accept a BTEC if accompanied by an A* in Maths A Level (or equivalent). It sounds like he's missing the Maths, unfortunately.

We have no requirement for GCSEs. I'm guessing that your brother was out of the country at the relevant time.

Gavin

Don’t be deterred it is a misconception that oxford won’t accept him. They accept many talented students, they don’t only accept A level students, they accept IB students, international students, Cambridge CIR’s (or whatever those weird a levels are called).

What is concerning is you say he doesn’t have GCSE’s.. this bit flags up. Get in touch with Cambridge admissions. If he takes an aptitude test like Mkat and can prove he has the smarts, he may be in with a chance. It all depends on why he doesn’t have GCSE’s. Other Russell Group universities are a little easier to get in to and do accept BTEC’s he can always do a masters or PhD at oxford if he doesn’t get in undergrad. The key is don’t be deterred, most people of course, would say BTEC’s won’t get you in, but they will.

Email admission and see what they say. Ignore the people here and get directly in touch with the admissions, they accept many talented students and once they are aware of the full picture, they will make a judgement based on that. It looks promising that he is an immigrant and flourishing it is a very positive sign.

If you ar a refugee (you haven’t given much information) they will look favourably on your application considering some of their professsors and alumni were once refugees. If not, it still looks admirable his achievements. Get in touch with them.
How old are you?

Latest

Trending

Trending