The Student Room Group

Appealing Army Medical

So I had my army selection on the 11th September, passed everything with flying colours... except the medical and was deemed PMU due to my right eye being 6/18 when it needs to be 6/12 (even with glasses) in all fairness, my fault for going to specsavers as on the opticians report I took with me they said my eyesight could not improve so I understand why they put me as PMU however after going to a different optician, the new optician has said specsavers were wrong as with a new prescription and patching my left eye my sight can improve to 6/12. Just wondering if it’s worth appealing as I’ll have evidence that specsavers were wrong? Or if the raf/navy will be a better option, I know I can’t go in as a pilot my job choices for any of them would be a medic/linguist/military police. I’ve always wanted to serve in the forces!:frown: wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and won appeals due to eyesight issues? Thanks!

Update; eyesight improved to 6/12 and found out today I won my appeal!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Go back when your eyesight improved.
Original post by Kathy89
Go back when your eyesight improved.

Well yeah obviously I’m going to do that I just don’t know wether to make an appeal or just try the navy/RAF
Reply 3
Original post by AurianHilldrup
Well yeah obviously I’m going to do that I just don’t know wether to make an appeal or just try the navy/RAF
I don't know about the procedure and if it is possible to appeal after a while or you have a limited time to do that, but I know that eyesight can be improved, especially if an optometrist says that there is a good chance to improve it with proper glasses and some exercises. I'm pretty surprised there is an optometrist who says so, but definately go for it. I'd appeal only after it improves so there will be evidence it is good enough. and not just another attempt to pass the test.

I improved my eyesight so I believe you can too.

Sorry for not being helpful.
Original post by Kathy89
I don't know about the procedure and if it is possible to appeal after a while or you have a limited time to do that, but I know that eyesight can be improved, especially if an optometrist says that there is a good chance to improve it with proper glasses and some exercises. I'm pretty surprised there is an optometrist who says so, but definately go for it. I'd appeal only after it improves so there will be evidence it is good enough. and not just another attempt to pass the test.

I improved my eyesight so I believe you can too.

Sorry for not being helpful.

Yeah my optometrist said there’s a good chance it will with stronger lenses and patching my left eye as eyes are muscles and my right eye just needs to work more, I think it’s like 60 days I have to make an appeal but I think I may just wait untill my eyesight improves more and go for the RAF instead. Did you have problems getting into the military due to eyesight?
Reply 5
Yeah my optometrist said there’s a good chance it will with stronger lenses and patching my left eye as eyes are muscles and my right eye just needs to work more, I think it’s like 60 days I have to make an appeal but I think I may just wait untill my eyesight improves more and go for the RAF instead. Did you have problems getting into the military due to eyesight?

The IDF is a bit different. Well, I couldn't get into piloting not only because of the eyesight (but that too). I was a medical assistant despite having troubles with eyesight. In IDF there are combat soldiers who have only one eye seeing 6/9 or better corrected, and it's OK.
I couldn't get into combat units because I was underweight, having migraines and allergies, the eyesight was only a minor issue. (Not even wanted to join any combat unit though).
Original post by Kathy89
The IDF is a bit different. Well, I couldn't get into piloting not only because of the eyesight (but that too). I was a medical assistant despite having troubles with eyesight. In IDF there are combat soldiers who have only one eye seeing 6/9 or better corrected, and it's OK.
I couldn't get into combat units because I was underweight, having migraines and allergies, the eyesight was only a minor issue. (Not even wanted to join any combat unit though).

Whats the IDF? Yeah I knew as a child Icould never be a pilot because of my eyesight:frown: did it matter what eye? My left eye is literally 6/6 and its super frustrating because if my eyes were swapped over I'd be fine to join! It's apparently because the guns are right handed your right eye is your shooting eye. I know for a fact I could hit a target though, the company that do the army medicals are the biggest annoyance e v e r
Reply 7
Whats the IDF? Yeah I knew as a child Icould never be a pilot because of my eyesight:frown: did it matter what eye? My left eye is literally 6/6 and its super frustrating because if my eyes were swapped over I'd be fine to join! It's apparently because the guns are right handed your right eye is your shooting eye. I know for a fact I could hit a target though, the company that do the army medicals are the biggest annoyance e v e r

aren't there left handed guns?
Original post by Kathy89
aren't there left handed guns?

nope everything is right handed, feel very sorry for left handed people in the forces lol
How long do they take to let you know after you appeal
Original post by Harkin1996
How long do they take to let you know after you appeal

Case by case basis, every appeal is individual.
I got mnd from army because i didnt wanna be there but there was nothing wrong with me so whats my chancea if i wanted to join royal navy
How did you correct ur eye sight

Quick Reply

Latest