The Student Room Group
University of Northampton
Northampton

I need to know about Northampton Uni...

I'm so worried about going to Northampton Uni, the only reason i want to go there is because of the course and nothing else. I've heard such bad things about it and really want to know what it's like from anyone who goes there or lives in Northampton? Thank you!
It's not as bad as people say, yes the entry requirements are low but the courses are good... what are you thinking about studying?
Northampton
Reply 2
i'm going to do sports marketing there. I've just read so many crap things on here about the uni and the town and it's worrying me so much!
yeah people do say it's bad but it's personal opinion. The uni is split into two different campuses, Park and Avenue. Both are quite small in comparison to other unis but not too bad. Park is the main one and has a shop, book shop, post office, 24hour computer room open bank holidays etc, student centre which helps with anything you need, pav bar, restaurant and all important Student Union. There is a pub 2 minutes walk from Park campus which do buy one get one free on all meals.
Avenue campus is the "arty" campus. But it's next to the "Racecourse" a massive field basically which is always busy.
Jobs are available on and off campus.
Don't know much about your course...
The town... people say it's depressing but it's not too bad. good range of shops although they are stardare for a large town/city (argos, hmv, new look, etc). The bus station is a bit dirty to be honest but you literally walk through it to the shopping centre. Good links with the bus services and the uni, £1 anywhere during the week. Kingsthorpe is a short walk away from Park and has a range of shops/take aways and there is an asda and waitrose with a bus stop for taking your shopping back easily.
Night life had picked up ALOT since I started here...:
Monday lava
Tuesday pennys and embargos
Wednesday fever
Thursday Roadmender
Friday SU
There's also a new club Groove which is open every night, but it's a bit rubbish....
All of them are student night so have cheap drinks, but might change around next year.
Saturdays are really expensive and full of older married men looking for affairs basically haha
Hope this helps... any more questions?
yeah people do say it's bad but it's personal opinion. The uni is split into two different campuses, Park and Avenue. Both are quite small in comparison to other unis but not too bad. Park is the main one and has a shop, book shop, post office, gym, 24hour computer room open bank holidays etc, student centre which helps with anything you need, pav bar, restaurant and all important Student Union. There is a pub 2 minutes walk from Park campus which do buy one get one free on all meals.
Avenue campus is the "arty" campus. But it's next to the "Racecourse" a massive field basically which is always busy.
Jobs are available on and off campus.
Don't know much about your course...
The town... people say it's depressing but it's not too bad. good range of shops although they are stardare for a large town/city (argos, hmv, new look, etc). The bus station is a bit dirty to be honest but you literally walk through it to the shopping centre. Good links with the bus services and the uni, £1 anywhere during the week. Kingsthorpe is a short walk away from Park and has a range of shops/take aways and there is an asda and waitrose with a bus stop for taking your shopping back easily.
Night life had picked up ALOT since I started here...:
Monday lava
Tuesday pennys and embargos
Wednesday fever
Thursday Roadmender
Friday SU
There's also a new club Groove which is open every night, but it's a bit rubbish....
All of them are student night so have cheap drinks, but might change around next year.
Saturdays are really expensive and full of older married men looking for affairs basically haha
Hope this helps... any more questions?
Reply 5
wow thank you for all the information! i've been to look round the park campus twice and it's okay, it is quite small but has everything you need i guess. uum one question i have isss whether you know if the netball team is any good?! i play for a club and wondered if i'd be able to carry on when i'm there? the nights out seem funn accept for saturday haha maybe i'll aviod going out then! i live a couple of hours away and i'm hoping i'll be able to bring my car to the uni...do you think i'll stand a chance of getting my claim accepted? sorrry for all the questions!
The netball team is good, the uni has lots of sports teams: Hockey, football, netball, lacrosse, rugby, basketball etc. It has a gym and sports hall aswell as lots of sports fields.
As for the car, the uni has a limited amount of parking and is quite strict with it (They have a "green travel plan" to stick to) and only give it people who need it (for placement or transporting art materials) having said that a few of my friends have passes and I don't see a reason they need one!
Reply 7
ah good! i will mention that i live more than 50 miles away from northampton and that i have a football season ticket so therefore i have to go home every few weeks or so?! fingers crossed. i havent applied for accomodation yet but i think that you have to apply at the beginning of summer? i didn't get to see the gym when i was there but i'll def be getting a membership. thank you for your help!!
don't mention the football season thing... they'll think it's a lame excuse no offence haha
and no worries, look forward to seeing you in freshers as i'll be working it :-D
Reply 9
I have been exactly the same, apart from I live over a 100 miles from Northampton. I was really looking forward to it, and then as it has got closer I have been getting more and more nervous and worried. I then read all the bad reviews on here which worried me even more. This has made me feel better about it now! : D
Reply 10
i live close to northampton and i thought the place was really nice, the lecturers ill be having seemed genuine too!
what course are you going to be studying lucy? im doing early childhood studies.
they best let me have my car there because i wont be walking 26 miles there and home everyday!!
Reply 11
Everyone has their own opinion on a university. Whereas I love the university, and the location in which Park Cmpus is set. There are a lot worse uni's to be at, plus the school of business and education are rated quite highly in league tables.

I am a first year student and a student ambassador so anyone feel free to PM me any questions. :smile:
Event Management. I really liked the Campus as it is quite quiet and small compared to many others I went to which were big and concrete and my lecturer seems nice aswell : )
Reply 13
~*Lucyaaa*~
I have been exactly the same, apart from I live over a 100 miles from Northampton. I was really looking forward to it, and then as it has got closer I have been getting more and more nervous and worried. I then read all the bad reviews on here which worried me even more. This has made me feel better about it now! : D

Iv only been once to visit as im from the North West so along way to come, but the place did it for me!! Im 23, leaving full time employment, home and partner to study at Northampton and live in halls of residents. I cant wait though.
Reply 14
Ellie_W123
wow thank you for all the information! i've been to look round the park campus twice and it's okay, it is quite small but has everything you need i guess. uum one question i have isss whether you know if the netball team is any good?! i play for a club and wondered if i'd be able to carry on when i'm there? the nights out seem funn accept for saturday haha maybe i'll aviod going out then! i live a couple of hours away and i'm hoping i'll be able to bring my car to the uni...do you think i'll stand a chance of getting my claim accepted? sorrry for all the questions!

Hi Ellie, Im hoping to get on the Netball team aswel. Cant find any information about trials though. Presume they will be in freshers week?? if i hear anything il let you know!
Derby University is the place to be, Northampton University was the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. You can do so much better than the backward rubbishy institution that the University of Northampton is. You are made to feel like you are under the hubble telescope by the University when you're a student there in terms of being intensely severely scrutinized, so much so, that there's no joy in anything on campus. It's like you become an automaton for three year's. You can forget about fun and enjoyment while you're at Northampton University, the University staff will put paid to that. There's Nottingham University and Loughborough and Derby, much better experiences to be had. Basically, don't waste your tuition fees on Northampton Uni. There's much better places.
what course did you study??

Original post by NigelMansell27
Derby University is the place to be, Northampton University was the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. You can do so much better than the backward rubbishy institution that the University of Northampton is. You are made to feel like you are under the hubble telescope by the University when you're a student there in terms of being intensely severely scrutinized, so much so, that there's no joy in anything on campus. It's like you become an automaton for three year's. You can forget about fun and enjoyment while you're at Northampton University, the University staff will put paid to that. There's Nottingham University and Loughborough and Derby, much better experiences to be had. Basically, don't waste your tuition fees on Northampton Uni. There's much better places.
Hi im.planning to study master degree there.Can you give me your contact in order to ask some more information?? I come from.Thailand😀
Reply 18
hey is MBA course is good in tat university??how abt the placements

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending