The Student Room Group

Mozzarella? Cheddar? Roquefort? Toastie tries to find her way...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by troubletracking
I'd honestly rather we not meet:redface:
Woah that's so weird, though tbh my english and french classes are pretty much all girls. Didn't know this was actually a thing:dontknow:
Proud of you both for doing it for the gals yass we love stem queens:tongue:

i only do maths so i just see myself as an m girl:laugh:
Original post by Toastiekid
wow how lovely:heart: I guess I’ve got that to look forward to next year:laugh:
:hugs:
Really? I had no idea:gasp: yes it is:yep:

Yep you will do... At least as long as you remember to switch between them it's pretty simple :smile:
Yeah, we did shortlisting so we can't really shortlist our own iyswim

Posted from TSR Mobile
radians can get very confusing... :argh:
Piano! :gah:
Glad you're still alive! :jumphug:
oCToBER?!

asdfghjkl it’s almost Halloween (except not really but let me be excited!)

so the past week has been a tornado; it came and went leaving destruction in its wake:ahhhhh:- assessments have started:eek:

I’m not going to update about every day last week, instead I’ll update by subject because I can’t remember everything:colondollar:

core maths

assessment: Tuesday

We’ve done a lot of trig:gah:; we looked at different trig identities which was really fascinating but I kept forgetting to do inverse sine and getting really stressed out by my weird answers:facepalm: (‘come on toastie this is gcse stuff’ I hear you all shout)

Yesterday we started matrices which I’d done before on a sixth form taster day so I was less confused than I’d normally be:woo: but *plot twist* my teacher then whipped out some graph paper and got us to draw these matrices and *plot twist no.2* we can use tRIG in matrices:gasp:

I’m starting to feel like gcse maths was different islands without bridges or something connecting them and now in a-level maths some of the bridges are being built which is so awesome as I’m like oMg you can mix these things:party:

ermmm in line with my usual core maths lessons, I’ve obviously embarrassed myself recently in my core maths lessons:colondollar: Yesterday when we were drawing our matrix things i may or may not have used the x value as the y value and the y value as the x value:cry: twas pretty tragic

I also got stuck in some bus doors but we don’t talk about that...

had my core assessment today, it was alright:dontknow:, I’m not quite sure how I’ve done but I tried?!:laugh: I had a bit of a crisis in the middle when I read the question and realised that I needed my answer in radians:facepalm:

mechanics

Assessment: Wednesday

I’m starting to like mechanics now:rave: we’ve done some more on Newton’s laws, drawn lots of boxes and done some F=ma simultaneous equations. I still don’t have high hopes for the assessment:frown: mechanics is so physics-y

statistics

Assessment: Wednesday (in a test with mechanics)

My main excitement related to stats is the fact that box plots are not box plots but box and whisker plots which sound so awesome...I got so excited when I saw the name and was slightly disappointed to find out that they were just box plots:sadnod:

I’m anticipating a load of set notation in our assessment:grumble: though I’m hoping for some contingency tables; i like doing them:yep:

physics

Assessment: Tuesday

In one of my physics lessons we looked at conductance (the reciprocal of resistance:dontknow:) which was something I’d never thought about before!

In my other physics lessons we looked at how digital cameras work and then built our own one pixel cameras:love: which we took awful selfies on:laugh:

the assessment today was not what I expected; there were an awful lot of one mark questions which you had to do quite a bit of working to get to the answer:grumble: I’m hoping I’ve done well but in all honesty I’ve got no clue!

economics

Assessment: Monday

Economics has been a mixed bag; I’ve been loving the lessons (despite the fact I’ve been moved to sit right under the teacher’s nose) but :erm: the homework has been an issue again:frown: last week I got back two pieces of homework, the first I got an amber on:woo: but the second I got a red on (along with a ‘come see me’ comment) which made me feel v nervous for the rest of the lesson especially about my upcoming assessment. I saw her and we went through the multiple choice questions I got hideously wrong:facepalm:- from this I have learnt I need to rEaD THe qUeSTiOn!!!:rant:

I had the assessment yesterday:sadnod:, I’m not going to say it went brilliantly; I definitely struggled but I did my best and I’ll find out how I did before half term:smile: On the bright side, my teacher did say today that she’s not worried about anyone *phew*

project xyz

We’ve received half the potential briefs which look quite interesting so far though nothing has really caught my eye. Hoping for ones I’m interested in when we get the next lot:gah:

challenge

No, I’m not an smc expert yet:frown: I managed to solve the first five questions on the most recent paper we did though:dontknow:

problem solving

I’m beginning to not loathe these sessions:yes: we’ve done an awful lot of prime factorisation this week and I’ve got to write up a proof for homework:eek: I’m not exactly sure how to write up an actual proof so welp good luck to me:rip:

year lead

We were supposed to get the laptops we ordered but they didn’t arrive:cry: hopefully next week:wink:

frees

These have actually started being sorta productive:woo: I’ve realised which people I should never sit with in frees (or I’ll get horribly distracted) and who I’m really productive with/where I work best:smile:

frees are the best:thumbsup:

personal development

We did a ‘privilege walk’ which was informative but as we did it in the park I got very distracted by the dog walkers nearby oops

all in all, I’m really enjoying it! Yes, I had a bit of a meltdown the other day about how I was drowning in things I needed to do but after some wise words from @04MR17 I’ve found a woggle (*prays people know what a woggle is*) and am now mainly afloat:smile: I’m planning to spend the rest of my after school time getting back on top of my homework corrections mountain, tidying up my notes and practicing multiplying matrices (because EW I struggle so much with them at the moment:frown:)
This evening however I’ve got piano:music: (which I’ve not practiced) and someone economics homework:work:

I hope everyone is having a great week, I’m hoping the next time I update it’ll be from my laptop:gah: (not my phone which I normally use).

TOASTIEKID

02/10/18

Spoiler

Oh f***ing hell you're ahead of me in matrices!
Your physics topics are quite different - do you do OCR?
loving your posts and :gah: that gcse/a-level maths analogy is good!!!
all those assessments:yucky:
lets hope you get that laptop soon!
loving ittttttt <3
it all sounds v confusing but if you get it then :party:
Original post by Sinnoh
Oh f***ing hell you're ahead of me in matrices!
Your physics topics are quite different - do you do OCR?

I am?! wowowow that explains why I’m so baffled:smile: you’ve got some fun stuff to look forward to:yep:
Yeah I think so:wink: are you?
Original post by clouddbubbles
loving your posts and :gah: that gcse/a-level maths analogy is good!!!

Original post by entertainmyfaith
all those assessments:yucky:
lets hope you get that laptop soon!

I knowwww:frown:
I hope so!
Original post by stalkingsilence
loving ittttttt <3
it all sounds v confusing but if you get it then :party:

:rave:
yeah, it does seem like gcse maths was more than an island away at first but then you get used to it and then it turns out okay. :yes:
:rofl: box and whisker plots are just box plots!
all those assessments... :afraid: good luck with all of them :rave:
Original post by nyxnko_
yeah, it does seem like gcse maths was more than an island away at first but then you get used to it and then it turns out okay. :yes:
:rofl: box and whisker plots are just box plots!
all those assessments... :afraid: good luck with all of them :rave:

that’s good:yep:
I know that now:facepalm: but I was like omg I wonder what they are in stats expecting something exciting but no just my bog standard box plot:laugh:
Thank you:hugs: only one left to go:rave:
Wow how are you doing stuff on matrices I don't even have a clue what you're talking about already :eek:
Good luck with your assessments, glad your frees are becoming more productive! Took me a term to work out what worked for me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Sounds like things are going in the right direction- as long as you keep making progress you will do great!

:hugs: I’ll try my best to:wink:
Original post by Lemur14
Wow how are you doing stuff on matrices I don't even have a clue what you're talking about already :eek:
Good luck with your assessments, glad your frees are becoming more productive! Took me a term to work out what worked for me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

erm I’ve got no idea! I guess my school just teach it all in a different order:dontknow: (you’re making me feel way better about being confused though:laugh:)
Thank youuuu:smile: well not totally productive; but more productive:colondollar:
I know what a woggle is ! :wavey:
Original post by laurawatt
I know what a woggle is ! :wavey:

phew
some people call them pool noodles so I was worried:laugh:
erm I’ve got no idea! I guess my school just teach it all in a different order:dontknow: (you’re making me feel way better about being confused though:laugh:)
Thank youuuu:smile: well not totally productive; but more productive:colondollar:

Evidently...I must have to look forward to that in January...argh I hate matrices why do they need to get any more complicated Good :smile: I think most of further maths starts off confusing and then eventually it all makes sense tbh (apart from the bits that just don't make sense at all :lol:)
More productive is good though, my frees are never totally productive so anyone who has a totally productive free I am in awe of :colondollar:
Forgot to say I know what a woggle is :giggle:
Original post by Lemur14
Evidently...I must have to look forward to that in January...argh I hate matrices why do they need to get any more complicated Good :smile: I think most of further maths starts off confusing and then eventually it all makes sense tbh (apart from the bits that just don't make sense at all :lol:)
More productive is good though, my frees are never totally productive so anyone who has a totally productive free I am in awe of :colondollar:
Forgot to say I know what a woggle is :giggle:

looking forward to hearing your opinion about them:yep:
haha agreed, I definitely spend longer in the confused stage than a lot of my classmates:laugh:
phew I’m normal:smile: me too
yay:rave:
looking forward to hearing your opinion about them:yep:
haha agreed, I definitely spend longer in the confused stage than a lot of my classmates:laugh:
phew I’m normal:smile: me too
yay:rave:

I can already tell you my opinion will be what are these horrible things :lol:
They might not admit to being confused but they probably are...At one point last year I was understanding stuff like 2 lessons behind :lol:
Yep :yep:
:woo:
Reply 238
christ that's a lot of work! You seem very diligent and intelligent, I wish you the best for A Levels!! :biggrin: Please tag me c:
that’s good:yep:
I know that now:facepalm: but I was like omg I wonder what they are in stats expecting something exciting but no just my bog standard box plot:laugh:
Thank you:hugs: only one left to go:rave:

yep :biggrin:
:rofl: you must have felt very betrayed...
:hugs: I guess you've done it now :yes: How did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending