The Student Room Group

How to revise for GCSE History?

I'm really stuck on revision for The Cold War, ex year 11s, please help.

Thank you in advance x
Original post by peachystudy

Thank you in advance x

Read texbook and make set of notes.

Make a smaller set of revision notes containing key details.

Mind maps and timelines are a good alternative for History.

The process of making them by understanding and processing the information is revision.

Once you think you are ready then you can try applying your knowledge and answer exam questions so you get used to the style and learn waht they look for.

Try questions untimed and with books, then make it harder by making it timed and with no access to notes.

Read the exam mark scheme to see how it was scored and where you lost marks.

Try again having taken on board the missing knowledge and this should help get a higher mark.
Reply 2
I read the textbooks, read my class notes and searched the topic online. Then I made a timeline (I found a timeline really useful, especially for the Cold War stuff!) I made a load of flash cards as well.

I wrote a lot of notes about the cold war. Each of the three superpowers had their own section, and I wrote about the different leaders for each country. (I made a timeline of all the leaders of all the countries involved as well).

You need to make sure that your notes are well organised, as it can get really complicated really quickly!!

Thank you in advance x

When I did my GCSE in history I made spider diagram posters. So I’d do a few covering topics like the Cold War and staple them together. Do spider diagrams on Vietnam war and staple them together etc I used the textbook to make them and I just picked out the key information that I knew I’d need for an exam and learnt it. In other words I condensed the whole textbooks into what I actually needed to learn as I knew I wouldn’t be able to learn the whole textbook off by heart as there’s just too much content.
Personally, I hated revising from textbooks. It didn't engage me, and because of that, the information never sank in. Something has to be at least moderately entertaining for someone to WANT to do it, and perhaps enjoy doing it.

One of my favourite ways of 'studying' is surfing wikipedia. This could be done whilst reading a book, before reading a book or after reading a book. I'd generally find something interesting, I would then wikipedia it and from there just keep clicking links. Names, events, battles, wars, political uprisings, economic policy - you name it, I've surfed through it.

If I found something particularly interesting/important for my course through this manner, I'd take a note of the sources, then try get the books (or similar books) through my library or online. Interesting things are easily retained - think about how much useless but interesting trivia you seem to remember.

There is no set way of studying. Only what works for you. Having a wealth of broad knowledge peppered with some specific information is enough to answer most of the meaty questions using the PEEL technique
Original post by Stressedoutxxx
When I did my GCSE in history I made spider diagram posters. So I’d do a few covering topics like the Cold War and staple them together. Do spider diagrams on Vietnam war and staple them together etc I used the textbook to make them and I just picked out the key information that I knew I’d need for an exam and learnt it. In other words I condensed the whole textbooks into what I actually needed to learn as I knew I wouldn’t be able to learn the whole textbook off by heart as there’s just too much content.

Original post by BowlOfFruit
Personally, I hated revising from textbooks. It didn't engage me, and because of that, the information never sank in. Something has to be at least moderately entertaining for someone to WANT to do it, and perhaps enjoy doing it.

One of my favourite ways of 'studying' is surfing wikipedia. This could be done whilst reading a book, before reading a book or after reading a book. I'd generally find something interesting, I would then wikipedia it and from there just keep clicking links. Names, events, battles, wars, political uprisings, economic policy - you name it, I've surfed through it.

If I found something particularly interesting/important for my course through this manner, I'd take a note of the sources, then try get the books (or similar books) through my library or online. Interesting things are easily retained - think about how much useless but interesting trivia you seem to remember.

There is no set way of studying. Only what works for you. Having a wealth of broad knowledge peppered with some specific information is enough to answer most of the meaty questions using the PEEL technique

thank you!!! i've found revising history particularly difficult ever since we started studying GCSE history last year, this was reflected in my end of year grade which wasn't good at all. thanks, those contributions are soo helpful :hugs:
Reply 6
For the Cold War I personally did mind maps because I could link points together more easily especially with how the event unfolded. I got an A* in that paper so I think it helps when you are a visual learner
thank you!!! i've found revising history particularly difficult ever since we started studying GCSE history last year, this was reflected in my end of year grade which wasn't good at all. thanks, those contributions are soo helpful :hugs:

You’re welcome! ☺️ good luck in your studies x
Original post by S3_Ella
I read the textbooks, read my class notes and searched the topic online. Then I made a timeline (I found a timeline really useful, especially for the Cold War stuff!) I made a load of flash cards as well.

I wrote a lot of notes about the cold war. Each of the three superpowers had their own section, and I wrote about the different leaders for each country. (I made a timeline of all the leaders of all the countries involved as well).

You need to make sure that your notes are well organised, as it can get really complicated really quickly!!

thank you so much!! :hugs:

Original post by 999tigger
Read texbook and make set of notes.

Make a smaller set of revision notes containing key details.

Mind maps and timelines are a good alternative for History.

The process of making them by understanding and processing the information is revision.

Once you think you are ready then you can try applying your knowledge and answer exam questions so you get used to the style and learn waht they look for.

Try questions untimed and with books, then make it harder by making it timed and with no access to notes.

Read the exam mark scheme to see how it was scored and where you lost marks.

Try again having taken on board the missing knowledge and this should help get a higher mark.

thank you so much! my revision technique for history is currently so bad, this will help sm

Original post by J.emilia
For the Cold War I personally did mind maps because I could link points together more easily especially with how the event unfolded. I got an A* in that paper so I think it helps when you are a visual learner

well done on the a* !! and thank you so much, do you think notes with mini mind maps are good too?

Ive been thinking about mentoring or tutoring locally tbh. If you'd like, send me a pm about your course and I'd be happy to go through answers and techniques with you? Cold War is probably one of my best areas of history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending