The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge?

Hey guys. I just got rejected from Oxford. I am self studying maths, physics, chemistry anc economics at A level and AS level further maths. I want to pursue Nuclear Engineering and want to study at a good university before going for a masters in Nuclear Engineering which both oxford nor Cambridge provide. I want a prestigious degree which opens doors for me. At a good college. I have already narrowed it down to Natural Sciences at Cambridge, physics or materials Sciences at Oxford. Which one do I go for. I am prepared to do 3 more A levels in my gap year.

Thanks...........
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by saboor 123
which both oxford nor Cambridge. .

Wut.

Oxford's not the only university you're applying to though?
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
Wut.

Oxford's not the only university you're applying to though?

No. But I want to go to Oxbridge and I am only 15 currently. So I still have time! I finished my GCSEs and I am self studying.
Reply 3
No. But I want to go to Oxbridge and I am only 15 currently. So I still have time! I finished my GCSEs and I am self studying.

You shouldn't have Oxford or Cambridge being your only choices. It's not worth it.

What are your predicted grades for your A-level subjects then?
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
You shouldn't have Oxford or Cambridge being your only choices. It's not worth it.

What are your predicted grades for your A-level subjects then?

2A*s and 2 As.
Reply 5
and what course were you applying for at Oxford? Engineering science?

It's entirely possible you were rejected because of your age. It's very rare for universities to let someone in who's under the age of 16 or 17.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
and what course were you applying for at Oxford? Engineering science?

It's entirely possible you were rejected because of your age. It's very rare for universities to let someone in who's under the age of 16 or 17.

Materials sciences at queens
Reply 7
Materials sciences at queens

So did you take the Physics Aptitude Test?
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh

Yep. Flunked it!
Original post by Sinnoh
Reply 9
Yep. Flunked it!

Just wait for your other choices to respond then. But given your age it'll probably be a couple years before most universities will accept your application.
Original post by Sinnoh
Just wait for your other choices to respond then. But given your age it'll probably be a couple years before most universities will accept your application.

I got an offer from KCL and an unconditional from Birmingham!
There is a possibility there will be age related problems until you're closer to 18 (I think that's the youngest they'll GENERALLY accept due to maturity concerns - not that you're immature, just that there are legal issue around accommodating someone - certainly under 16 - without a parent/guardian). But what do I recommend - Cambridge obviously because, you know, it's the best. But realistically when you make the decision you need to choose the course which suits you most, and you're the only person who can determine that!
Reply 12
I got an offer from KCL and an unconditional from Birmingham!

Well never mind that then. Congrats on your offers.

If you plan on doing postgrad at Oxford or Cambridge, do that. In the meantime, it really won't matter that much if you don't go to Oxford or Cambridge for your undergraduate course. Just make the best of it.
Original post by Sinnoh
Well never mind that then. Congrats on your offers.

If you plan on doing postgrad at Oxford or Cambridge, do that. In the meantime, it really won't matter that much if you don't go to Oxford or Cambridge for your undergraduate course. Just make the best of it.

OK thanks!
First off, don’t be disheartened about the rejection as it’s probably due to age.

Secondly, perhaps it would be better to wait until you are 16 to go to uni? Obviously if you want to go now that’s great. However, you may enjoy it more if you waited as the activities you can do and therefore your social life could be dragged down a little, especially if you are under 16. (If you’d be 16 when you started then feel free to ignore)
Original post by Lemon1806
First off, don’t be disheartened about the rejection as it’s probably due to age.

Secondly, perhaps it would be better to wait until you are 16 to go to uni? Obviously if you want to go now that’s great. However, you may enjoy it more if you waited as the activities you can do and therefore your social life could be dragged down a little, especially if you are under 16. (If you’d be 16 when you started then feel free to ignore)

I am reapplying so I will be 17 when I get in!
Original post by JQOS
There is a possibility there will be age related problems until you're closer to 18 (I think that's the youngest they'll GENERALLY accept due to maturity concerns - not that you're immature, just that there are legal issue around accommodating someone - certainly under 16 - without a parent/guardian). But what do I recommend - Cambridge obviously because, you know, it's the best. But realistically when you make the decision you need to choose the course which suits you most, and you're the only person who can determine that!

Is Cambridges natural sciences good if I want to go for Nuclear Engineering?
I am reapplying so I will be 17 when I get in!

Then go for it!! Oxford was probably just iffy about the age, especially as they prefer people to stay in uni accommodation, which could be an issue for a minor.
Goodluck :smile:
Original post by Lemon1806
Then go for it!! Oxford was probably just iffy about the age, especially as they prefer people to stay in uni accommodation, which could be an issue for a minor.
Goodluck :smile:

OK, thanks!
in Nuclear Engineering which both oxford nor Cambridge provide. Thanks...........

Cambridge has an MPhil in Nuclear Energy...? It draws from the nuclear sections of the materials science (natural sciences), and to a lesser extent engineering and physics, tripos there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending