The Student Room Group

HMRC job interview for intelligence officer

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like you have a brilliant background!
Let’s hope that came across in my interview

I have project management background in my current role so that was useful answering the competency questions

I just want to know how haha
Thank you, that is very kind!
Ooo! Let me know if they give you a better response than the did to me!
Reply 43
Good luck everyone, still waiting for Newcastle results here and was told that they wouldn't be able to give a timescale. I was told at interview they were initially looking at a January, and with security checks etc that would mean offers pretty soon if they were still wanting that.
Original post by dsm417
Good luck everyone, still waiting for Newcastle results here and was told that they wouldn't be able to give a timescale. I was told at interview they were initially looking at a January, and with security checks etc that would mean offers pretty soon if they were still wanting that.

Original post by Gerry4400
Yes Dsm417,that is in the original instructions. I already have SC with my previous role, they just need to reactivate it, for it to be reinstated. Fingers crossed for everyone.

Hiya, since you have experience I need some advice. So I have job offer from company A (elsewhere) and then if I receive job offer from company B (HMRC). I have not signed anything with company A but have accepted the job and soon to start early december, but if the offer from Company B (HMRC) comes before I sign anything with Company A, will company A know I have a job offer elsewhere? I.e. pre-employment checks will ask for current employment but since I'm not with Company A as of yet would that mean that company A would not be approached for a reference at all in the near future despite starting work with them?

sorry a bit of a long one, please let me know if i need to clarify anything.

i want to work for company A in the meantime since i know the time pre-employment checks is upto 6 months but i also dont want them to know i have a job waiting for me in jan onwards somewhere else
If HMRC are in the ball, they will be doing checks at the moment. SC checks depends on the waiting list and if you have a difficult work background, that can add time to your application. You would be foolish to not take Job A, you will have to clarify their period of notice. If we are successful, you will receive a provisional offer, you do not need to disclose that to Job A. One your appointment is rubber stamped, you can then give your current employer your period of notice. SC is more detailed that normal checks, if you Job history and right to live in the UK is present, should not take long at all. Hope this helps.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply!

So, are SC checks being done as we speak? I thought they were only completed after we accept the provisional offer and fill in the forms they provide?

Additionally, I do not want to close information to Job A about HMRC but won't the HR department at Job A be contacted by HMRC for a reference since they would technically be the current employment for myself?

Thank you again. I just really need advice since company A are under the impression (no thanks to me) that after my 6 month posting that I will be with them long-term but I don't want the HR department to receive a reference request 2 months into the job which will make things incredibly awkward for me?
Reply 46
I think you'd just have to suck it up! While HMRC don't always contact your current employer references (I've just finished pre-employment checks for a different role and they didn't contact mine) I'm assuming they would as part of the SC check?

You won't be the first person to jump ship in the first few months of employment and you'll not be the last. Like Gerry has said though you'd be crazy not to take the first offer, and you'll just have to cross the other bridge when you come to it.

I was under the impression that they wouldn't carry out SC checks until you've got an offer but Gerry would know more about how that works.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by dsm417
I think you'd just have to suck it up! While HMRC don't always contact your current employer references (I've just finished pre-employment checks for a different role and they didn't contact mine) I'm assuming they would as part of the SC check?

You won't be the first person to jump ship in the first few months of employment and you'll not be the last. Like Gerry has said though you'd be crazy not to take the first offer, and you'll just have to cross the other bridge when you come to it.

I was under the impression that they wouldn't carry out SC checks until you've got an offer but Gerry would know more about how that works.

Thank you for ur reply.

its more about looking unprofessional and feeling awkward and the possibility of being blacklisted. If it's a fixed 6 month job and a few weeks into the job the HR department receive a request for reference from HMRC, it doesn't look too favorably on me? if you see what I mean
Reply 48
That's interesting, could explain the wait too!

Original post by ItsDaisyBetch
Thank you for ur reply.

its more about looking unprofessional and feeling awkward and the possibility of being blacklisted. If it's a fixed 6 month job and a few weeks into the job the HR department receive a request for reference from HMRC, it doesn't look too favorably on me? if you see what I mean

I completely understand, I'm not sure there is much else you can do if you are really interested in this role, though being able to pick your references might help! What industry is it in if you don't mind saying? Blacklists are illegal, but your employer could obviously hold a bit of a grudge!
Original post by dsm417
That's interesting, could explain the wait too!

I completely understand, I'm not sure there is much else you can do if you are really interested in this role, though being able to pick your references might help! What industry is it in if you don't mind saying? Blacklists are illegal, but your employer could obviously hold a bit of a grudge!

tech but there is no room for career progression from what I know so I'd rather go with this hmrc job
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by dsm417

That’s what I was told also, so fingers crossed it’s pretty soon! I would like to know as I want to go travelling a little before!
It is Cabinet Office policy that security clearance may only be requested for someone that needs it. HMRC could not request the SC checks before they have decided who they want to make offers (not just wait list) to. BPSS is a requirement for all Civil Service employees. And unless there are exceptional circumstances, BPSS must be completed before national security vetting may be began.

If you Google a copy of the paper vetting questionnaire, you will see that they requires details of both current and previous immediate supervisors. So if you have started a job at Company A by the time you begin your security vetting checks, you will have to provide details of them. Whether they contact your work references during BPSS is indepedent of the same for security vetting, since they're done by different people.
Line managers and supervisors are for Developed Vetting, not for SC. If you think about it, how can a supervisor of Debenhams (eg) make a judgement on suitability for someone requiring SC. It would not happen, if however you apply for DV and I would imagine there would be virtually no one within HMRC that requires that type of clearance. To recap, if you have never worked for Civil Service before and never had any form of clearance, you will not require your supervisor of present job to vouch for you. People need to check their facts before posting. IMHO

I have. Now you check yours. :rolleyes:
Not at all Holly, I have just emailed them with regards to when we will be notified. 🤞

Did you get a response yet??
Anyone heard anything yet? Still patiently waiting
Reply 55
Nope!
Original post by Scour
Nope!

I’m getting rather impatient now and nervous! Haha
Just received a provisional offer!
Reply 58
Original post by ItsDaisyBetch
Just received a provisional offer!

Yay well done! At least that solves your problem of not knowing what job to go for. This has made me even more nervous now hahah. Which area was yours for if you don’t mind me asking?
Original post by Scour
Yay well done! At least that solves your problem of not knowing what job to go for. This has made me even more nervous now hahah. Which area was yours for if you don’t mind me asking?

I guess :P

London, and yours?

Good luck!

Also just a note I think all feedback is released at the same time so you can check your scores now :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending