The Student Room Group

Do you think oral sex is haram in Islam or not?

I know some Ulama dispute about this. There is no clear hadith or ayat which states that this act is impermissible. So some say it's haram while some say it is not.
What is my belief? In my opinion, I don't think it's haram for two reasons. Firstly, I am of the firm belief that whatever is not stated to be haram is halal. Halal until proven haram. So I don't think anyone has the right to say that it is haram tbh. Secondly, Allah always makes things clear for us, to the extent that he told us very clearly that anal sex is haram. Ask yourself, why would he bother saying anal sex is haram and then not say anything about oral sex. It's only logical to believe that it is not a haram act.
And tbh, I think those that say it is haram are being very hipocritical. They have no basis to claim that it is haram yet they say it just because they find it disgusting. It's ok if you find it disgusting but that can't be a sole argument for claiming it is haram. Yet these same scholars permit things that are very clearly haram, like did you know taking pictures even just for passport is haram. Yet these scholars say that in these circumstances it is permissible.
yet for an act that it is nowhere mentioned to be haram they want to say it is haram.
What do you guys think? And would you engage in oral sex if your partner wanted you to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loool777
like did you know taking pictures even just for passport is haram.

Where's that in the Quran?
Reply 2
Original post by Retired_Messiah

There are several very sahih hadiths that state this from Al Bukhari and Muslim:

'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/382).

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah, may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

'Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent me? Do not leave any built-up tomb without levelling it, and do not leave any picture in any house without erasing it." (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa'i; this is the version narrated by al-Nisaa'i).

Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1871)

These ahaadeeth indicate that pictures of animate beings are haraam, whether they are humans or other creatures, whether they are three-dimensional or two-dimensional, whether they are printed, drawn, etched, engraved, carved, cast in moulds, etc. These ahaadeeth include all of these types of pictures.

The Muslim should submit to the teachings of Islam and not argue with them by saying, "But I am not worshipping them or prostrating to them!" If we think about just one aspect of the evil caused by the prevalence of photographs and pictures in our times, we will understand something of the wisdom behind this prohibition: that aspect is the great corruption caused by the provoking of physical desires and subsequent spread of immorality caused by these pictures.

The Muslim should not keep any pictures of animate beings in his house, because they will prevent the angels from entering. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/380).
There are several very sahih hadiths that state this from Al Bukhari and Muslim:

'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/382).

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah, may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

'Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent me? Do not leave any built-up tomb without levelling it, and do not leave any picture in any house without erasing it." (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa'i; this is the version narrated by al-Nisaa'i).

Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1871)

These ahaadeeth indicate that pictures of animate beings are haraam, whether they are humans or other creatures, whether they are three-dimensional or two-dimensional, whether they are printed, drawn, etched, engraved, carved, cast in moulds, etc. These ahaadeeth include all of these types of pictures.

The Muslim should submit to the teachings of Islam and not argue with them by saying, "But I am not worshipping them or prostrating to them!" If we think about just one aspect of the evil caused by the prevalence of photographs and pictures in our times, we will understand something of the wisdom behind this prohibition: that aspect is the great corruption caused by the provoking of physical desires and subsequent spread of immorality caused by these pictures.

The Muslim should not keep any pictures of animate beings in his house, because they will prevent the angels from entering. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/380).

Wow, that's completely silly
Reply 4
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Wow, that's completely silly

What do you mean?
Reply 5
Everything in Islam is haram.
What do you mean?

It seems so arbitrary and so harmless. The idea that you're religiously worse off or morally inferior because you have a dog or a picture of your kids in your house just doesn't make any sense to me.

These writings were made in a time when physical images were very rare and took a lot of effort to make. Nowadays there are millions of images at everyone's fingertips through the internet. Is the internet haram?
Reply 7
Original post by XiuYee
Everything in Islam is haram.

Of ****ing course. Theres always one of these in every muslim related thread.

You put it in chat what were you expecting.
Moved to faith and spirituality
Reply 9
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
It seems so arbitrary and so harmless. The idea that you're religiously worse off or morally inferior because you have a dog or a picture of your kids in your house just doesn't make any sense to me.

These writings were made in a time when physical images were very rare and took a lot of effort to make. Nowadays there are millions of images at everyone's fingertips through the internet. Is the internet haram?

Are you muslim? Back in the day people would worship anything from paintings to idols to cows. People used to make these idols and tell people to worship them. It seems to be more harmless these days, but I guess that's why most scholars are making it permissible to take things like passport photos.
I don’t see why it should be. Islam encourages sex within a marriage and for both the wife and husband to satisfy each other sexually too so I really don’t see why it should be.
Reply 11
Original post by Rainfall
I don’t see why it should be. Islam encourages sex within a marriage and for both the wife and husband to satisfy each other sexually too so I really don’t see why it should be.

That's what I'm trying to say, but I was suprised by how many people kept saying it is haram and even some scholars saying it is a sin equal to anal.
Reply 12

You guys are hilarious, you get triggered at everything. :smile:
Original post by Retired_Messiah

no it is not
I have anal sex with my muslim girlfriend because she wants to stay a virgin 'til marriage.
Original post by punkdilla
I have anal sex with my muslim girlfriend because she wants to stay a virgin 'til marriage.

Your probably trolling but assuming your not: Disgusting. Your muslim girlfriend's a disgrace to the faith. Tell her to not bother marrying a chaste muslim - she's lost her virginity. She might as well marry you! Being serious though, if she repents I'm sure God will forgive her. But she would still be barred from marrying a chaste muslim. Anyway, she'd have to start by getting rid of you first though. Oh and I hope for both your sakes you used a condom...

Whilst I am certainly no advocate of blind taqlid, I feel that I should inform you that it is not for us to come up with a ruling, that is the job of the scholars. Nevertheless, I disagree with you ideas. First of all, the reason why a lot of scholars say it is Makrooh (disliked) is because the mouth of a believing woman is used for praying to God. Putting the man's private parts there will no doubt undermine the sanctity of the Quran as it would be recited from a mouth which has had sed man's private parts in it.

Anyway, as for the photograph thing please don't spread misinformation - especially to non-muslims. The hadith relate to paintings not pictures taken by a camera as those didn't exist at the time.* The paintings of animals and humans were prohibited as they could have been used as idols and there was no good reason to make them (and they also took considerable effort to make). Thus medieval islamic art generally consists of geometrical patterns or calligraphy.

*Whether they are used by any learned scholars for qiyas on pictures is a seperate matter, one that I'm not aware of.
Original post by TheBiggerM
Your probably trolling but assuming your not: Disgusting. Your muslim girlfriend's a disgrace to the faith. Tell her to not bother marrying a chaste muslim - she's lost her virginity. She might as well marry you! Being serious though, if she repents I'm sure God will forgive her. But she would still be barred from marrying a chaste muslim. Anyway, she'd have to start by getting rid of you first though. Oh and I hope for both your sakes you used a condom...

We don't use condoms. We trust each other worry much and have decided going without condoms feels much better.

And thank you for your concern. Her faith is between her and god, you do not have any right to tell her about her faith. She prays when she can and wears the head scarf when she is with Muslim boys. She has a very good nature and is very spiritual. I thought your religion taught only god could judge her? Aren't you supposed to be kind and accepting?

We have talked about future and have both decided we will continue until she finds a Muslim man. Her parents will not let her marry me and I have made peace with that fact, so we are just enjoying each other's company until she is ready for marriage.
(edited 5 years ago)
I know some Ulama dispute about this. There is no clear hadith or ayat which states that this act is impermissible. So some say it's haram while some say it is not.
What is my belief? In my opinion, I don't think it's haram for two reasons. Firstly, I am of the firm belief that whatever is not stated to be haram is halal. Halal until proven haram. So I don't think anyone has the right to say that it is haram tbh. Secondly, Allah always makes things clear for us, to the extent that he told us very clearly that anal sex is haram. Ask yourself, why would he bother saying anal sex is haram and then not say anything about oral sex. It's only logical to believe that it is not a haram act.
And tbh, I think those that say it is haram are being very hipocritical. They have no basis to claim that it is haram yet they say it just because they find it disgusting. It's ok if you find it disgusting but that can't be a sole argument for claiming it is haram. Yet these same scholars permit things that are very clearly haram, like did you know taking pictures even just for passport is haram. Yet these scholars say that in these circumstances it is permissible.
yet for an act that it is nowhere mentioned to be haram they want to say it is haram.
What do you guys think? And would you engage in oral sex if your partner wanted you to?

Hey there, I'm quite an active member on Quora, where I've written an answer to the question - Are blowjobs permissible in Islam.
Here's the answer I wrote and a link to the site

In the 35th chapter of the Qur’an, Allah - the most high, the most grand tells us that we are accountable for our own actions.And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And if a heavily laden soul calls [another] to [carry some of] its load, nothing of it will be carried, even if he should be a close relative. You can only warn those who fear their Lord unseen and have established prayer. And whoever purifies himself only purifies himself for [the benefit of] his soul. And to Allah is the [final] destination.”Qur’an (35.18)I chose this verse since there is no single take on oral sex in Islam, it is not said to be permissible nor is it said to be forbidden. So one’s choice of whether or not they engage in oral sex is dependent on their own views, their morals, their closeness to Allah and their fear of Allah.In my humble opinion however, our mouths should not be used foully, for the exertion of impurities (swearing, foul language, cursing) or for the insertion of impurities (blood, human excretory matter, male of female genital discharge). Our mouths are entrances for food, water and air and the orifices from which we exalt the name of our Lord.For one who wants to be close to Allah, they should not take part in oral sex, because this will guarantee a sin-free deed (in this case anyway).
https://www.quora.com/Are-blowjobs-permissible-in-Islam
Reply 18
Original post by Hopefullyamedic
Hey there, I'm quite an active member on Quora, where I've written an answer to the question - Are blowjobs permissible in Islam.
Here's the answer I wrote and a link to the site

In the 35th chapter of the Qur’an, Allah - the most high, the most grand tells us that we are accountable for our own actions.And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And if a heavily laden soul calls [another] to [carry some of] its load, nothing of it will be carried, even if he should be a close relative. You can only warn those who fear their Lord unseen and have established prayer. And whoever purifies himself only purifies himself for [the benefit of] his soul. And to Allah is the [final] destination.”Qur’an (35.18)I chose this verse since there is no single take on oral sex in Islam, it is not said to be permissible nor is it said to be forbidden. So one’s choice of whether or not they engage in oral sex is dependent on their own views, their morals, their closeness to Allah and their fear of Allah.In my humble opinion however, our mouths should not be used foully, for the exertion of impurities (swearing, foul language, cursing) or for the insertion of impurities (blood, human excretory matter, male of female genital discharge). Our mouths are entrances for food, water and air and the orifices from which we exalt the name of our Lord.For one who wants to be close to Allah, they should not take part in oral sex, because this will guarantee a sin-free deed (in this case anyway).
https://www.quora.com/Are-blowjobs-permissible-in-Islam

That is a respectable opinion. Not blatantly saying it's haram but also saying that it would be best to refrain to guarantee a sin free deed. I can agree with this.
It’s very halal and totally permissible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending