The Student Room Group

LSE Application for Diploma Holders - Singapore

Hello everyone,

I'm a Singaporean polytechnic student currently in the midst of applying my UCAS application to LSE and I sort of want to know what are my chances of getting accepted into the school. I'm looking to read a Bsc in Accounting & Finance, undergraduate level.

I studied accountancy for 3 years in Ngee Ann Polytechnic and I'm looking to read Accounting & Finance at LSE. I have a CGPA of 3.89 and I'm wondering if that is sufficient for poly students. I've a B3 in score for my O level English, I think that I am not required to take additional tests on English, can someone shine some light on this please?

Could any A&F / Finance offer holders (plus point if you're accepted and you're from asian countries! so I can have a rough gauge) give me tips to writing the Personal Statement required? I know that the PS is relied on heavily for applicants to LSE.

As for the P.S, I've only studied Accounting in my polytechnic with about 3-4 modules relating to finance, is it a must to talk 50/50 about accounting and finance or would talking about accounting be adequate?

I'm not too sure if i should include these factors in my P.S
- Served National Service for 2 years as a Firefighting Lieutenant
- Participated in 13 day Community Service Program to help the poor
- Gold for Extra Curricular Activities (majority of which I participate as a Group Leader for camps)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by kennylim97
Hello everyone,

I'm a Singaporean polytechnic student currently in the midst of applying my UCAS application to LSE and I sort of want to know what are my chances of getting accepted into the school.

I studied accountancy for 3 years in Ngee Ann Polytechnic and I'm looking to read Accounting & Finance at LSE. I have a CGPA of 3.89 and I'm wondering if that is sufficient for poly students. I've a B3 in score for my O level English, I think that I am not required to take additional tests on English, can someone shine some light on this please?

Could any A&F / Finance offer holders (plus point if you're accepted and you're from asian countries! so I can have a rough gauge) give me tips to writing the Personal Statement required? I know that the PS is relied on heavily for applicants to LSE.

As for the P.S, I've only studied Accounting in my polytechnic with about 3-4 modules relating to finance, is it a must to talk 50/50 about accounting and finance or would talking about accounting be adequate?

I'm not too sure if i should include these factors in my P.S
- Served National Service for 2 years as a Firefighting Lieutenant
- Participated in 13 day Community Service Program to help the poor
- Gold for Extra Curricular Activities (majority of which I participate as a Group Leader for camps)

Sorry, are you applying for postgraduate or undergraduate entry?
Reply 2
Hi, fellow Singaporean applicant here. O Level English is accepted as a qualification so remember to put it in UCAS. You need a CGPA minimum of 3.8 so yours is sufficient. As for your diploma, it will definitely put you in good stead (since it is related to your chosen course) and should be used for your PS. But well, not applying for A&F so can't give much advice for that. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by LeapingLucy
Sorry, are you applying for postgraduate or undergraduate entry?

apologies for my lack of clarity, I'm looking to apply for undergraduate entry.
apologies for my lack of clarity, I'm looking to apply for undergraduate entry.

Ok, well I can't help much regarding A&F or your particular qualifications, but regarding your Personal Statement, this should be focused as much as possible on the course, and your reasons for wanting to study it. LSE generally aren't interested in extra-curriculars that don't relate to your course.

The volunteering/gold award you have would probably be best placed in the reference your teacher will write for you. Can you discuss this with them before they write it so they know what you want them to include?
Reply 5
Original post by G D Hans
Hi, fellow Singaporean applicant here. O Level English is accepted as a qualification so remember to put it in UCAS. You need a CGPA minimum of 3.8 so yours is sufficient. As for your diploma, it will definitely put you in good stead (since it is related to your chosen course) and should be used for your PS. But well, not applying for A&F so can't give much advice for that. Good luck!

I see, thank you for your input & the tips! All the best in your application as well! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by LeapingLucy
Ok, well I can't help much regarding A&F or your particular qualifications, but regarding your Personal Statement, this should be focused as much as possible on the course, and your reasons for wanting to study it. LSE generally aren't interested in extra-curriculars that don't relate to your course.

The volunteering/gold award you have would probably be best placed in the reference your teacher will write for you. Can you discuss this with them before they write it so they know what you want them to include?

I've read P.S online and most of which starts with 'ever since i was a child xxx' or quoting from popular finance books from warren buffet and so on, is this actually a recommended way of writing a P.S to LSE? Seems like everyone is doing it and the truth is I don't actually read such books and I don't wish to write things that I have never done in the P.S. Was wondering if they actually question you on such things upon being accepted.

And thank you for your tips! Really appreciate it.
I've read P.S online and most of which starts with 'ever since i was a child xxx' or quoting from popular finance books from warren buffet and so on, is this actually a recommended way of writing a P.S to LSE? Seems like everyone is doing it and the truth is I don't actually read such books and I don't wish to write things that I have never done in the P.S. Was wondering if they actually question you on such things upon being accepted.

And thank you for your tips! Really appreciate it.

I wouldn't use phrases like "ever since I was a child" - it's a bit clichéd. Nevertheless, to get into LSE, you need to demonstrate passion for your subject, and show that you have explored it beyond the classroom.

What podcasts have you listened to, what articles/books have you read, what documentaries have you watched, what industry work experience have you done, what news articles have interested you etc. And what did you learn from doing these things?

That's what an LSE personal statement should be about.

You'll never be questioned about it after you get in. My PS hasn't been brought up once since I started here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending