The Student Room Group

London Uni's, Bristol or Cardiff?

I am looking to study for a master's course next year after studying English in Bristol. My dad thinks London would be better for this like King's College London or Goldsmith's but I have also heard that Cardiff University is a great uni and there are so many different journalism courses. I do like the University of Bristol's Comparative Literature and Culture's course as well so I'm confused as to which ones would be best?
Any advice on whether London would be a better city and have better unis or if being outside of London could be just as good?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For journalism it’s important that you check whether the courses are accredited
Original post by tessimoghaddam
I am looking to study for a master's course next year after studying English in Bristol. My dad thinks London would be better for this like King's College London or Goldsmith's but I have also heard that Cardiff University is a great uni and there are so many different journalism courses. I do like the University of Bristol's Comparative Literature and Culture's course as well so I'm confused as to which ones would be best?
Any advice on whether London would be a better city and have better unis or if being outside of London could be just as good?

Cardiff does indeed have an excellent reputation for journalism. In London, you might also want to look at City.
Original post by PQ
For journalism it’s important that you check whether the courses are accredited

Is that something I can find out online or should I ask the unis? Thank you for the reply and help
Original post by ageshallnot
Cardiff does indeed have an excellent reputation for journalism. In London, you might also want to look at City.

I'm glad to hear that you agree about Cardiff uni, a lot of people have said to me that it is a great uni and a lovely city to be in. Do you by any chance know anyone who's been there? I have yet to visit the uni and emailed them but maybe a phone call might be best. I feel a little stuck as my family believe that London is the better city, which I agree may have the most opportunities as it is the cultural hub of the UK. However, my boyfriend is in Bristol and it's been quite hard being back in Windsor whilst he's there.:frown: I know that I need to concentrate on my career, postgraduate courses and the future but I just don't know what to do and feel so down. :frown:

Sorry for the rant! Thank you ever so much for the advice
I'm glad to hear that you agree about Cardiff uni, a lot of people have said to me that it is a great uni and a lovely city to be in. Do you by any chance know anyone who's been there? I have yet to visit the uni and emailed them but maybe a phone call might be best. I feel a little stuck as my family believe that London is the better city, which I agree may have the most opportunities as it is the cultural hub of the UK. However, my boyfriend is in Bristol and it's been quite hard being back in Windsor whilst he's there.:frown: I know that I need to concentrate on my career, postgraduate courses and the future but I just don't know what to do and feel so down. :frown:

Sorry for the rant! Thank you ever so much for the advice

I used to work alongside one of the professors before he joined academia. Ditto a recently retired professor at City.

Overall I would consider London to have greater opportunities, albeit at a cost. I would also suggest that Course >>> Boyfriend, but I wouldn't put you off Cardiff.
(edited 5 years ago)
I used to work alongside one of the professors before he joined academia. Ditto a recently retired professor at City.

Overall I would consider London to have greater opportunities, albeit at a cost. I would also suggest that Course >>> Boyfriend, but I wouldn't put you off Cardiff.

Oh wow that’s awesome! I’m really excited to go lol at Cardiff uni, hopefully they have a postgraduate open day soon! I will look at London though as everyone’s said it has better opportunities than anywhere else but surely other cities can be just as good to live in and pursue a career in?

Would you suggest the Bristol course as well? It does sound good and I like how they uni has ties with BBC Bristol! I have also seen that the BBC do an apprenticeship/trainee scheme in digital joournalism next year but it’s 10 months so not sure if I should go for that or the masters?
Sorry to reply again! You said that London has better opportunities albeit at a cost, but what is that cost by any chance?
Oh wow that’s awesome! I’m really excited to go lol at Cardiff uni, hopefully they have a postgraduate open day soon! I will look at London though as everyone’s said it has better opportunities than anywhere else but surely other cities can be just as good to live in and pursue a career in?

Would you suggest the Bristol course as well? It does sound good and I like how they uni has ties with BBC Bristol! I have also seen that the BBC do an apprenticeship/trainee scheme in digital joournalism next year but it’s 10 months so not sure if I should go for that or the masters?

Well, London is still the British media capital which could give you extra opportunities. The cost I was referring to is financial - it's more expensive to live in London.

By "the Bristol course" do you mean the journalism MA at UWE? If so, then the BBC links would be very valuable. However,, I saw a statement on their page saying they weren't taking any more applications for 2019.

If you get an offer for the BBC trainee scheme then take it. Immediately. Without hesitation. With gratitude and joy.
Ah yes I do agree with that and everyone has said that London is the capital for pretty much everything. So I do know that it should be my main focus on terms of city but you are right, London is an extremely expensive city. I think it’s even the 4th or 5th most expensive city in the world! My dad and sister so live in north and east London so I could always stay with them, although I would prefer having my own space and independence. Will probably be looking at sharing though but even that is ridiculous! My sister lives on her own but the amount she pays (she claims was the cheapest she could find) is the equivalent to a monthly mortgage! 😱. Oh you were referring to UWE’s Journalism MA - I did see that and they also have ties with the BBC however the course I was referring to was the Comparative Literatures and Cultures at Bristol uni. The course had ties with the BBC within it which is why I thought it could be a good option. On the website, they did say that students can pursue a career in journalism afterwards. I did think that a trainee scheme/apprenticeship at the BBC would be amazing as I would also gain insight into the industry and who know might even be able to get a job there! Not sure if that’s wishful thinking though! Urgh why is adulting so hard and stressful 😩. I just really don’t know what to do :/
Ah yes I do agree with that and everyone has said that London is the capital for pretty much everything. So I do know that it should be my main focus on terms of city but you are right, London is an extremely expensive city. I think it’s even the 4th or 5th most expensive city in the world! My dad and sister so live in north and east London so I could always stay with them, although I would prefer having my own space and independence. Will probably be looking at sharing though but even that is ridiculous! My sister lives on her own but the amount she pays (she claims was the cheapest she could find) is the equivalent to a monthly mortgage! 😱. Oh you were referring to UWE’s Journalism MA - I did see that and they also have ties with the BBC however the course I was referring to was the Comparative Literatures and Cultures at Bristol uni. The course had ties with the BBC within it which is why I thought it could be a good option. On the website, they did say that students can pursue a career in journalism afterwards. I did think that a trainee scheme/apprenticeship at the BBC would be amazing as I would also gain insight into the industry and who know might even be able to get a job there! Not sure if that’s wishful thinking though! Urgh why is adulting so hard and stressful 😩. I just really don’t know what to do :/

I know about the costs having lived in west, southwest and now north London! You might find rooms in shared houses the cheapest (not cheap) option.

What are the Bristol course's ties with the BBC? They don't seem to mention such links on the webpage. Vague statements such as"students can pursue a career in journalism afterwards" don't mean anything - you can go into journalism with any subject you like.

If you did a BBC apprenticeship you would I deed be in an excellent position to get a job - there or anywhere else.
Yeah I may try and look for shared housing as it definitely seems like the cheapest option. My mum is in Windsor but that would mean the train and tube each day which is going to be expensive so I don’t think that is a great option. I reading something about it on the website last year but can’t seem to find it. Unless I’m mistaking it for the UWE journalism MA woops! But I do know that Bristol uni is a good uni and I do love literature, not sure I want to do an English MA though. Yeah true that but some of the courses I’ve looked at like Gender Studies and Cultral Industries at King’s don’t necessarily specify it as a career option for afterwards. I just thought that maybe studying a masters which is relevant or contains insight into the industry within the course, would be a good option. I think I will apply for a masters and the BBC training as hopefully I will get one of them and that can help point me in the right direction.
Yeah I may try and look for shared housing as it definitely seems like the cheapest option. My mum is in Windsor but that would mean the train and tube each day which is going to be expensive so I don’t think that is a great option. I reading something about it on the website last year but can’t seem to find it. Unless I’m mistaking it for the UWE journalism MA woops! But I do know that Bristol uni is a good uni and I do love literature, not sure I want to do an English MA though. Yeah true that but some of the courses I’ve looked at like Gender Studies and Cultral Industries at King’s don’t necessarily specify it as a career option for afterwards. I just thought that maybe studying a masters which is relevant or contains insight into the industry within the course, would be a good option. I think I will apply for a masters and the BBC training as hopefully I will get one of them and that can help point me in the right direction.

Would your sister be interested in sharing with you for a year?

I fear that the Windsor option would lead you to throwing yourself under a (big red double decker) bus after about 3 weeks!

I think you might well have confused the two Bristol-based courses. I can't see anything in the content of the Bristol Uni course which leads to journalism, tbh. If you want to do it for the intellectual satisfaction then fine, but it doesn't by itself lead to a career in journalism.

More importantly, have you any 'journalistic' experience? Have you blogged? Written for student or local papers?

And have you a link to the particular BBC apprenticeship in which you are interested?
(edited 5 years ago)
She may be happy, however, she does only have one bedroom which means either sharing or sleeping in the living room or on the couch! Yeah I don’t think Windsor and commuting is a good idea as it will soon get expensive and quite tiring too! I think so too! It’s a shame that there a no applicants for 2019, but I did want to try get into a slightly better uni if I could. Ah I see, so in terms of courses, Bristol unis Comparative literatures course might not be the best for a career in journalism? I saw a student studying the same course but at King’s College and she said it could be useful for journalism. However, every uni teaches things differently and is structured differently. So, perhaps Cardiff or London may be better choices, but if Bristol unis arts and humanity courses do incorporate some work experience with media companies within them, then they could also be a good choice. When I was younger and on holiday in Turkey, my mums neighbour and friend was creating her own magazine. I did write a few articles and helped edit and proofread the translation with my mum. Unfortunately, she could no longer afford to run the cultural magazine and just left it. No one got paid for their articles and I wasn’t able to continue when I returned for holiday. I have been trying to look for some jobs or internships for publishing companies or magazines and newspapers. In the mean time, I was thinking of starting my blog but unfortunately self doubt and fear keep getting in the way.
She may be happy, however, she does only have one bedroom which means either sharing or sleeping in the living room or on the couch! Yeah I don’t think Windsor and commuting is a good idea as it will soon get expensive and quite tiring too! I think so too! It’s a shame that there a no applicants for 2019, but I did want to try get into a slightly better uni if I could. Ah I see, so in terms of courses, Bristol unis Comparative literatures course might not be the best for a career in journalism? I saw a student studying the same course but at King’s College and she said it could be useful for journalism. However, every uni teaches things differently and is structured differently. So, perhaps Cardiff or London may be better choices, but if Bristol unis arts and humanity courses do incorporate some work experience with media companies within them, then they could also be a good choice. When I was younger and on holiday in Turkey, my mums neighbour and friend was creating her own magazine. I did write a few articles and helped edit and proofread the translation with my mum. Unfortunately, she could no longer afford to run the cultural magazine and just left it. No one got paid for their articles and I wasn’t able to continue when I returned for holiday. I have been trying to look for some jobs or internships for publishing companies or magazines and newspapers. In the mean time, I was thinking of starting my blog but unfortunately self doubt and fear keep getting in the way.

Hmmm ok maybe not the greatest suggestion.

I think the Bristol course won't give you any advantages really for getting into journalism - it seems too generic for that.

The one thing that would give you a definite advantage is actually practising journalism. Anyone can take a course, but (as Harry says in When Harry Met Sally) "a writer writes". So put aside your fear and self doubt and put fingers to keyboard! 😀
Hmmm ok maybe not the greatest suggestion.

I think the Bristol course won't give you any advantages really for getting into journalism - it seems too generic for that.

The one thing that would give you a definite advantage is actually practising journalism. Anyone can take a course, but (as Harry says in When Harry Met Sally) "a writer writes". So put aside your fear and self doubt and put fingers to keyboard! 😀

Hmm ok maybe I'll just look into Cardiff and London unis but I have also heard about Leeds uni, do you know anyone who has been there or anything in regards to the uni itself? I'm a bit scared to go all the way up there - as weird as that sounds but I know no one there!
Although that Bristol course may not be the best for Journalism, do you think it's impossible to have a good career in publishing/media? I mean there is BBC Bristol, ITV and Channel 4 on its way, which would be amazing to work for in the future, but I'm so stuck with everyone's opinions on London being the best city for everything! :/ I know that they're right in saying that but I guess my heart is in Bristol and I don't know if I should really be focusing all of my attention to my head instead.

That is very true, I was inspired to write something about my current relationship and career problems haha not that anyone would read it but hopefully it could help someone in the same position as me. I guess I do need to take the time out to focus on myself and figure out exactly what I want, where I see myself and ultimately how to get there. It's just so hard when you're in love and it's annoying because my dad keeps saying I'm way too young to settle down or to think about those things.:frown: I see other people around me doing it and my age or near it and I think well what's so wrong with me wanting that or doing that? Urgh, life becomes so complicated when you're older.
Hmm ok maybe I'll just look into Cardiff and London unis but I have also heard about Leeds uni, do you know anyone who has been there or anything in regards to the uni itself? I'm a bit scared to go all the way up there - as weird as that sounds but I know no one there!
Although that Bristol course may not be the best for Journalism, do you think it's impossible to have a good career in publishing/media? I mean there is BBC Bristol, ITV and Channel 4 on its way, which would be amazing to work for in the future, but I'm so stuck with everyone's opinions on London being the best city for everything! :/ I know that they're right in saying that but I guess my heart is in Bristol and I don't know if I should really be focusing all of my attention to my head instead.

That is very true, I was inspired to write something about my current relationship and career problems haha not that anyone would read it but hopefully it could help someone in the same position as me. I guess I do need to take the time out to focus on myself and figure out exactly what I want, where I see myself and ultimately how to get there. It's just so hard when you're in love and it's annoying because my dad keeps saying I'm way too young to settle down or to think about those things.:frown: I see other people around me doing it and my age or near it and I think well what's so wrong with me wanting that or doing that? Urgh, life becomes so complicated when you're older.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Leeds. But never base such a decision on whether you know someone there!

Well, if there is all that journalistic mass in Bristol then good things can happen. Apply to all of them and see what happens.

As for your bf, when will he be finished at Bristol?

It doesn't get any easier until you retire!
Channel 4 are moving their main offices to Leeds iirr. So like salford has the advantages of media city there’s likely to be more opportunities available once the move happens.

But that’s broadcast journalism rather than print...
That is true! I guess it’s just the idea of moving up further north which is daunting! Although, having said that I don’t know anyone up there, my boyfriends uncle lives there with his family. Not that I would be hanging out with them, but at least it’s more comforting to know someone there. May be worth having a visit up there anyway and seeing what I think. Yeah I will do that, it’s just hard where my parents and sister see London as the be all end all kind of city. Whilst I agree that it is the hub of business, finance and culture etc, I do believe that many other cities are slowly starting to catch up in terms of opportunities and exciting things happening within them. I will apply to all of them and pop down to each uni for more info and explore the cities. My bf doesn’t actually go to uni, he is a carpenter and has finished his apprenticeship and working for Bristol city council now. Oh gosh! That doesn’t sound to great haha!
Original post by PQ
Channel 4 are moving their main offices to Leeds iirr. So like salford has the advantages of media city there’s likely to be more opportunities available once the move happens.

But that’s broadcast journalism rather than print...

Oh really? Wow I heard they were moving to Bristol and Manchester but great that they’re moving to Leeds too. I think they can no longer afford to stay in London but it’s nice to finally see other cities having the chance to grow and expand with the different industries. I have heard that Salford is an area of great media opportunities, I know that the BBC have an office there as well.

Broadcast journalism is also an area I have been looking at. Everything has become much more digitised and I don’t think print is on the rise as much as digital journalism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending