The Student Room Group

vegetarian problems

I've been vegetarian for 3 years now. A year or so ago I became anemic and was put on a course of iron tablets. My iron levels were stable again so I came off the tablets. However, I often get headaches/ feel dizzy/ feel weak/ see spots of light in my vision. I eat lots of different fruit and veg and try and eat as well as possible but I just don't know if my body can cope on a vegetarian diet. I have my A level exams coming up and I want to feel as healthy as possible but I also don't want to go against my morals and eat meat- any advice?

Scroll to see replies

go bac to your doctor and see if you need to go back on the tablets. also look at vitamin/mineral supplements for what you might be missing out on!
Reply 2
The iron tablets I was on last time gave me some side effects so I'd like to avoid them again. But yeh I think I'm going to look into B12/ vitamin D supplements. Thank you :smile:
Original post by nintysixthousand
go bac to your doctor and see if you need to go back on the tablets. also look at vitamin/mineral supplements for what you might be missing out on!
Hi, I’m also a vegetarian and have been severely anaemic in the past. I was given a list of things to try, that I’ll copy in here (it’s got quite a few suggestions, but I was also told to focus on getting more vitamin c as that aids in absorbing iron.
Rich in iron:
tofu, lentils, dried peas and beans, wholegrain cereals (in particular, iron-fortified breakfast cereals), green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach or Asian greens, nuts, especially cashews, dried fruit,
eggs, and seeds such as sunflower seeds.
Vitamin C:
citrus fruits,kiwi,strawberries,tomatoes,capsicum,broccoli, cabbage and spinach.
Im physically unable to eat meat because of other health issues, so I try and make sure I have these types of food a lot. Do you eat like quorn or tofu as meat substitutes?
If you’re worried about how much iron you’re consuming, it may be an idea to look at supplements in the mean time as well if you think your body isn’t coping. Do some research into high iron recipes and try out what you like. Good luck
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Emily. Thank you for all your suggestions! I do eat a lot of quorn as a substitute for meat, but I think i definitely need to take some sort of supplements. They are quite expensive though aha

Original post by emilyhaworthx
Hi, I’m also a vegetarian and have been severely anaemic in the past. I was given a list of things to try, that I’ll copy in here (it’s got quite a few suggestions, but I was also told to focus on getting more vitamin c as that aids in absorbing iron.
Rich in iron:
tofu, lentils, dried peas and beans, wholegrain cereals (in particular, iron-fortified breakfast cereals), green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach or Asian greens, nuts, especially cashews, dried fruit,
eggs, and seeds such as sunflower seeds.
Vitamin C:
citrus fruits,kiwi,strawberries,tomatoes,capsicum,broccoli, cabbage and spinach.
Im physically unable to eat meat because of other health issues, so I try and make sure I have these types of food a lot. Do you eat like quorn or tofu as meat substitutes?
If you’re worried about how much iron you’re consuming, it may be an idea to look at supplements in the mean time as well if you think your body isn’t coping. Do some research into high iron recipes and try out what you like. Good luck
Reply 5
Do not worry at all.

Analysis your blood.. I think you have vitamin D deficiency.

However, don’t take any supplements without diagnosis

Finally, everything will be alright : )
Perhaps consider the moral side of meat and see if you can find a local farm shop that rears its own meat and will let you have a look around. There is a lot of very ethically produced meat available if you look for it.

Some red meat in your diet is likely to be beneficial, even if your diet remains more plant based.

Ultimately we need a balance of livestock and plants for everything to grow in harmony, it's a cycle. Animal bedding and manure fertilises and conditions the soil to grow your vegetables. If we all became vegetarian and had no animals we'd not be able to grow anything.
Reply 7
Sounds like you may well be deficient in iron (and/ or other things) again. I would go see your GP, explain what's going on, ask for bloods done for the standard deficiencies (iron, B12, vitamin D etc) to see what your levels are at and then see them after you get the results back to discuss potential non-supliment ways to increase whatever levels you need increased.
Generally speaking you can usually find foods to boost your levels and substitute for meats. The harder one is vitamin D since the majority of your intake comes from sun and we just don't get a whole lot of that in the UK (most of the population probably has some level of vit D deficiency). If you are low in that then some supplements might be a good idea. But anyway you can discuss all of that with your GP once you know what you're dealing with. No sense focusing on how to boost your X levels when actually it's your Y levels that are causing you issues. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by IJohn
Do not worry at all.

Analysis your blood.. I think you have vitamin D deficiency.

However, don’t take any supplements without diagnosis

Finally, everything will be alright : )

Thank you!
Reply 9
Yes that is definitely something to consider, thank you
Original post by Apachecow
Perhaps consider the moral side of meat and see if you can find a local farm shop that rears its own meat and will let you have a look around. There is a lot of very ethically produced meat available if you look for it.

Some red meat in your diet is likely to be beneficial, even if your diet remains more plant based.

Ultimately we need a balance of livestock and plants for everything to grow in harmony, it's a cycle. Animal bedding and manure fertilises and conditions the soil to grow your vegetables. If we all became vegetarian and had no animals we'd not be able to grow anything.
Original post by Kindred
Sounds like you may well be deficient in iron (and/ or other things) again. I would go see your GP, explain what's going on, ask for bloods done for the standard deficiencies (iron, B12, vitamin D etc) to see what your levels are at and then see them after you get the results back to discuss potential non-supliment ways to increase whatever levels you need increased.
Generally speaking you can usually find foods to boost your levels and substitute for meats. The harder one is vitamin D since the majority of your intake comes from sun and we just don't get a whole lot of that in the UK (most of the population probably has some level of vit D deficiency). If you are low in that then some supplements might be a good idea. But anyway you can discuss all of that with your GP once you know what you're dealing with. No sense focusing on how to boost your X levels when actually it's your Y levels that are causing you issues. :smile:

yeh thats a good point haha, thank you! :smile:
I recently went vegan and found vegan supplements gave lots of different vitamins and minerals eg b12, d, iron and zinc and if you want to stick to vegetarian diet try one of those but defiantly get a blood test done if you have had problems in the past. I'm assuming you are a girl so could be related to your period so maybe consider going onto the pill to help.
do u take vitamin tablets?
Eat foods richer in iron, or fortified with iron (e.g. plant milks, cereal)
Try a different supplement, not all may give you side-effects
Take vitamin D3 tablets (a lack of can causs tiredness and we usually don't get enough sun in the UK to provide this)
Improve your general health/fitness by eating well (e.g. avoiding processed foods and those high in refined sugar) and exercising on a semi-regular basis.
Improve your mental health by being mindful, meditating, seeking help when needed ect.

Animal products are not the only reliable source of iron. Being vegetarian is not the problem.
If you're anaemic then it's for life. You need iron in your diet everyday. Even if your iron levels are stable, if you take iron out of your diet then levels of iron will start decreasing which is probably why you've been feeling the way you have been lately. Just make sure you're eating foods with iron in to keep your iron levels stable, there are many options available that aren't meat as said in previous comments.

What iron tablets did you take? There are natural iron tablets you can buy from Holland and Barrett that shouldn't give you any side effects if you want to take tablets. I can't remember what they're called I think floradix or something, I tried them ages ago without any problems.
you may be deficient in vitamin D, B12 as well as iron
I am a vegan so i really understand
my advice is eat cereal for breakfast - look at the lable on the back and find one that is fortified in iron and B vitamins as this may really help you
secondly eat a lot of spinach - trust me if you cook it it goes down into nothing and it is so good for you and really high in iron
You can get everything as a vegetarian that you could get as a meat eater. Try and eat more foods high in iron, such as spinach and leafy greens, or even foods like breakfast cereals fortified with iron - and I'd also go back to the doctor's to see if you need the tablets again. Being a vegetarian should not have any negative impacts on your health - just keep eating enough calories, and make sure you get a lot of carbohydrates and food high in protein like beans or vegetarian meat substitutes. I'm vegan and have absolutely no problem getting any nutrients (as well as a lot of vegan junk food lol) you literally just have to know where to look!!
No, I'm not sure which ones are best
Original post by Gent2324
do u take vitamin tablets?
okay, thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Eat foods richer in iron, or fortified with iron (e.g. plant milks, cereal)
Try a different supplement, not all may give you side-effects
Take vitamin D3 tablets (a lack of can causs tiredness and we usually don't get enough sun in the UK to provide this)
Improve your general health/fitness by eating well (e.g. avoiding processed foods and those high in refined sugar) and exercising on a semi-regular basis.
Improve your mental health by being mindful, meditating, seeking help when needed ect.

Animal products are not the only reliable source of iron. Being vegetarian is not the problem.
Original post by Anonymous
No, I'm not sure which ones are best

Holland and barrett super one formula or something, orange tub they have every vitamin u need, b12, d etc..

Quick Reply

Latest