The Student Room Group

I thiNk I'm agnostic and might end up atheist .need help

So thing is I have been a Christian since birth and was and still greatlu involved in church activity. But lately i have been getting this creeping feeling of dobting the relevance of my faith. You see I grew up in a home wher my dad, a senio member of the churvh and also since birth was very loud and abusive. It sermed the whole family from Mom to me would simply take a demolishing every day have my self esteem sent to dust and still see the same man dacting all Mr Nice Guy at church . Sometimes there would be evidence of h8m cheating on mom. All we would do was pray about it but for the past 15 years nothing's changed. I have since begun to doubt the authenticity of my religion because i tuen wonder how after i cry everyday someone who is said to care seems ti just sit and watch it happen. Any suggestions?
Original post by MrMoneyMoustache
So thing is I have been a Christian since birth and was and still greatlu involved in church activity. But lately i have been getting this creeping feeling of dobting the relevance of my faith. You see I grew up in a home wher my dad, a senio member of the churvh and also since birth was very loud and abusive. It sermed the whole family from Mom to me would simply take a demolishing every day have my self esteem sent to dust and still see the same man dacting all Mr Nice Guy at church . Sometimes there would be evidence of h8m cheating on mom. All we would do was pray about it but for the past 15 years nothing's changed. I have since begun to doubt the authenticity of my religion because i tuen wonder how after i cry everyday someone who is said to care seems ti just sit and watch it happen. Any suggestions?

Ik what u mean... :frown:
So what's next man , it sucks

Have you considered looking into other faiths? Many people stick to their birth religion or abandon religion entirely because they throw the baby with the bath water, but I would strongly suggest looking into other religions. I used to be Agnostic and almost an Atheist, but I looked into religions and ruled them out one by one until I concluded that Islam was the strongest and most authentically transmitted religion out there which does not oppress you logically (by believing in a 3 in 1 God) and has a book which has not been changed etc, teaching pure monotheism and submission to one God.

Begin a religious journey seeking truth and pray to God directly for guidance and He will guide you, God willing.
There is no God.
There is no heaven and no hell.
Religion is an invention which cannot deliver it's promises and is therefore built on lies.
Religious authority controls through a cycle of fearing pain and death, followed by sorrow and forgiveness - classic abuse syndrome.

Truth sets you free. Believe in yourself and do not place faith in a fantastical story and wishful thinking.
Hi ! Hope you're doing good, I completely understand and here's what I have to say: Sorry about your dad, noone deserves to be treated like that , I completely get it but one thing I've learned is that although people who are high up in certain institutions are high up and seem to have authority, they aren't God. If you really want to know him, you've got to find him and not focus on the people who have been a awful representation of him.As hard as this is to hear sometimes God has given us the tools to do things but we don't know or can't see it , he's not just sitting around doing nothing. It's like sometimes we ask for courage , but we're given a situation where we can be courageous instead.Let me know what you think,Lilafrubexoxo
Reply 6
Remember that your parents and their church aren't representative of the Christian faith as a whole. What denomination are they/you? Do you have any faith inside you at all?

Ultimately, it's more important that you do what you feel right, rather than pay lip service to any god you can't believe in. Even as a Christian myself, I'd rather live in a world of good and sincere people who are atheistic than of hypocrites who are Christians.

I bet it does. Perhaps the first thing is to find someone who will listen to your feelings, doubts and difficulties without judging you and without trying to impose an agenda of their own. Is there anyone in your life you feel able to confide in? A school counsellor maybe? Childline are good listeners, and there are also young people's counselling services you can chat with online like kooth.com
Okay I still have a belief in a Superior Being but I think I just dont subscribe to the way i have been made to think he is supposed to be understood, I believe the final intention of this being is good but it seems at best I am mostly in fear when I identify with him in my current situation (I'm a Seventh Day Adventist BTW)
Original post by OxFossil
I bet it does. Perhaps the first thing is to find someone who will listen to your feelings, doubts and difficulties without judging you and without trying to impose an agenda of their own. Is there anyone in your life you feel able to confide in? A school counsellor maybe? Childline are good listeners, and there are also young people's counselling services you can chat with online like kooth.com

Im at a point where its really difficult to get a neutral opinion because most of my peers and surrounding adults attend the same church which tends to throw a blind eye to these issues so I thought maybe the Student Room could be a good start
So tell me what ’work’ can be done to stop a religously convicted abusive father, I think if you put into context you could think of something better as advice, afterall that's exactly why I came on this platform in the firsr place
Im at a point where its really difficult to get a neutral opinion because most of my peers and surrounding adults attend the same church which tends to throw a blind eye to these issues so I thought maybe the Student Room could be a good start

Sure. I've heard good reports of kooth.com - not specifically relating to religious dilemmas, but maybe it might help get your head round what is the real problem here? For example, are there ways you can deal with the put-downs etc whilst retaining whatever in your religious belief you find helpful? Maybe the first job is to build up your self esteem and confidence and that will help you make decisions about what you need to do? Obviously easier said than done! EDIT: but there ARE ways of doing it
(edited 5 years ago)
I have also been a christian since birth and I remember I was very doubtful around just before my parent's divorce, my dad also did some very bad things although not quite on the same level as yours. For me it was about being patient and just helping my mum to get through it, we both came out the other side a lot stronger and ready for life's future challenges, and my religion is part of what got me through it, of course, I'm not saying you have to do the same, I think you should stick to what you believe but if what you believe changes then that's okay too. If things are really bad however, maybe it would be a good idea to talk to someone of authority, evrything changed for me (for the better) when my mum told the police about what my dad did to her, it was worse at first but now I'm out the other side my life has never been better and my faith has grown stronger. I hope that helps, and if it doesn't another thing that helped me so much was to write down my thoughts and feelings when things got really hard, maybe you could try doing that.
Reply 13

This is why we don't look to people but focus on Jesus. Your father sounds very narcissistic, there are plenty of them in churches (my sister's married to one) and in the world too.

There is a woman called Joyce Meyers and (although shes an older lady) everything she says is very relevant to today. She was physically abused by her father as a young girl, he was an abusive drunk. Although God didn't deliver her from that situation she used all her experience to better people's lives today. She runs feeding programmes for children all round the world, she has orphanages where children are homed, schooled and clothed, she has opened many centres to help girls/women who have been sex trafficed.

If we only looked at people around us who say they are Christians but behave the total opposite to Jesus then we have to say they are not displaying Jesus in their life, they are not Christ followers. ie following his teachings.
Reply 14
Questioning your religion is a standard part of becoming older. The search for why we are here, what we are doing here and is there really a God is an eternal one that will outlast both you and I.

Maybe go see a Bishop/Pastor at another church, I'm sure they'd be able to help. There are also some good podcast etc on the topic.
This thread is a shitfest of proselytising.

Original post by Zamestaneh
Have you considered looking into other faiths? Many people stick to their birth religion or abandon religion entirely because they throw the baby with the bath water, but I would strongly suggest looking into other religions. I used to be Agnostic and almost an Atheist, but I looked into religions and ruled them out one by one until I concluded that Islam was the strongest and most authentically transmitted religion out there which does not oppress you logically (by believing in a 3 in 1 God) and has a book which has not been changed etc, teaching pure monotheism and submission to one God.

Begin a religious journey seeking truth and pray to God directly for guidance and He will guide you, God willing.

Damn, you're still here proselytising Islam to teenagers after so many years.

Islam, with its jinns and angels, doesn't "oppress you logically". Next joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending