The Student Room Group

The 'Brexit Meaningful Vote' Thread - May loses 432-202

Scroll to see replies

not sure who I hate more today..

Labour for using brexit as a power-grab... the constant talk about how bad the torries are doing, whilst having no clue how to do better themselves, but getting away with it because there is no test to find out if what they are saying is nonsense.. I know they are in opposition and their main goal is to gain power - but in this case it would probably be best for the country if they actually provided a real alternative to the goverment - baking remain for instance - so that the public could have a clear choice, rather then going with the stance 'we would do what the goverment is doing.. just better'.

Conservatives for being so spineless... voing down Mays deal should 100% equal voting out may. Any MP who is willing to vote down her deal, and then back her as leader.. looses my respect immediately. They have shown themselves to be a coward, who so scared of loosing power/position that they are not willing see through their opinions inevitable conclusion.

The whole lot can sod off, and give us electoral reform on the way out.
Original post by NickAlex12
Norway isn’t really a proper Brexit, we’ll still have open borders with the EU
The only options are no deal or May’s deal without the backstop

I am as hard a brexiteer as you get, it doesn't change the fact that as of now she has two options which are Norway and No deal.

Norway as it is the only thing that will pass a vote and no deal because its the default if she won't put norway to the house.

What you or I want is immaterial, those are the facts, it comes down to what she wants now.
Original post by Burton Bridge
It would be undemocratic to have one, if remain won it would never be on the cards. All this remoaning talk of another vote is solely designed to fudge figures to get the result you want.

Leave with no deal
Leave but only if a deal can be reached
Remain

Split the vote remain wins. I personally don't think we need another 180 million debt adding to this governments shocking borrowing achievement, they are destroying the nation purse just fine without that, however if there was one Remaining cannot be on the ballot paper

Would happily support the 2016 result if it was working half as well as you lot predicted it would but the fact is, it isn't! Is like buying a car and yrs later you still can't even get it started. Wishing you hadn't agreed to it in the first place has to be an option. We only bought it because the dealership promised 'you won't regret this'.
Original post by Vinny C
Would happily support the 2016 result if it was working half as well as you lot predicted it would but the fact is, it isn't! Is like buying a car and yrs later you still can't even get it started. Wishing you hadn't agreed to it in the first place has to be an option. We only bought it because the dealership promised 'you won't regret this'.

Well when remainers are in control of it then it's not going to work is it?

If May (a remainer) had gone to other countries to negotiate alternative trades deals to use as a leaver in EU negotiations instead of playing poor party politics calling a general election, only to backfire in her face, losing her government and scupper any hope of a passing a meaningful Brexit through Parliament.

Then we might actually of got somewhere.

If May (a remainer) had gone to other countries to negotiate alternative trades deals to use as a leaver in EU negotiations instead of playing poor party politics calling a general election, only to backfire in her face, losing her government and scupper any hope of a passing a meaningful Brexit through Parliament.

They have been shopping around the world for other trade deals, May and other ministers have trooped around the US, kowtowed to China, signed deals with dicatators in Turkey and the Gulf and of course, last but not least, grovelled as hard as they can to Saudi Arabia. They even sent poor silly Daniel Hannan to, of all places, Rwanda - perhaps the Rwandans will replace our mighty EU-integrated industries like Airbus, Rolls Royce and the car manufacturers with, I don't know, banana packing or something? There must be anything up to 20 jobs in the Rwanda deal.

Anyway, the basic point is that the alternative to being at one with the social-democratic countries of Europe is to be at one with the likes of China, Russia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, etc. Apparently our future now is some sort of bizarre hybrid of Singapore-style zero welfare state and more and more nasty weapons sales, with a gloriously rich hedge fund sector in Mayfair farming the profits and the rest of the country basically starving.
Of we carry on in the EU we will end up much the same 20% weathly and the rest starving in shanty towns.

Why do you think the elite are so desperate to keep us in?

May the remainer… lol. If only. Tories are terrified of splitting the party... Labour terrified of listening to their members. In fact... everyone is terrified of thug riot but we have handled it before. Nation is under thug rule.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
May the remainer… lol. If only. Tories are terrified of splitting the party... Labour terrified of listening to their members. In fact... everyone is terrified of thug riot but we have handled it before. Nation is under thug rule.

Oh dear Vinny, just because you are told something does not mean its true.

May has been a supporter of the EU most of her career, I have no idea why you make that snipe with the 'lol' after. Just because people don't believe what you have been told is correct does not mean they are thugs. I'm not a thug careful when you walk accross the street Jacob Rees Mogg might bust slash ya up wif a shank bro, init. :biggrin:
Original post by Vinny C

Put a border up in Ireland and we'll bomb the s@it out of Warrington again...cancel Brexit now.:wink:
Original post by Mister Fantastic
Put a border up in Ireland and we'll bomb the s@it out of Warrington again...cancel Brexit now.:wink:

Does not help that our incompetent government have took sides effectively with one of the sides in the NI battle, the unionists. Very very dangerous and silly move we all may live to regret thanks to the Tories
Does not help that our incompetent government have took sides effectively with one of the sides in the NI battle, the unionists. Very very dangerous and silly move we all may live to regret thanks to the Tories

My g/f lives very close to border. Those who shrug and say so what underestimate the strength of feeling there. We are the UK so we must side with the Unionists but we must do so fairly and evenly to both sides.

That’s one way of getting the government to spend money north of Watford 😂
Original post by Vinny C
My g/f lives very close to border. Those who shrug and say so what underestimate the strength of feeling there. We are the UK so we must side with the Unionists but we must do so fairly and evenly to both sides

Sorry Vinny I don't think your correct regarding the UK taking sides with the Unionists. Don't get me wrong you are 100% correct about how volitile the situation remains in Ireland however the UK must remain neutral as we agreed too in the Good Friday agreement.
Original post by Violet Femme
Something they really should have decided on prior to the referendum. Then we wouldn't be in this quagmire.

Most of us here seem to have forgotten how Leave referendum came about. In 2916, the outcry over immigration and religious extremism were rife. Are those problems over? I doubt they ever will.

Brexit is the way to go.

A big part of northern Africa is touted to have French influence through colonisation. It is therefore not a surprise that immigration will flow into France, and the rest of EU have to share the burden of those immigrants?? And with GB seen as a prosperous country, more will try and get into GB if there is no brexit.
Sorry Vinny I don't think your correct regarding the UK taking sides with the Unionists. Don't get me wrong you are 100% correct about how volitile the situation remains in Ireland however the UK must remain neutral as we agreed too in the Good Friday agreement.

I agree entirely, it's not about taking sides. Peace is maintained by the fine balance of convincing the Unionists they are 100% part of the UK but also convincing the Republicans that Ireland is one island occupied and controlled by the Irish. Brexit is upsetting that balance allowing extremists to take advantage of it. I love the Irish but getting heavy handed with them will only exacerbate matters.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
I agree entirely, it's not about taking sides. Peace is maintained by the fine balance of convincing the Unionists they are 100% part of the UK but also convincing the Republicans that Ireland is one island occupied and controlled by the Irish. Brexit is upsetting that balance allowing extremists to take advantage of it. I love the Irish but getting heavy handed with them will only exacerbate matters.

Yes, we should tread very carefully otherwise they may start bombing again.
Yes, we should tread very carefully otherwise they may start bombing again.

Er… they already have. Seem to recall it was you who shrugged and said the Irish, so what? A bunch of flag waving idiots. I've no need to derail Brexit btw. It's already off the rails and heading into the sunny fields of the ditch at the side of the track.
Original post by Vinny C
Er… they already have. Seem to recall it was you who shrugged and said the Irish, so what? A bunch of flag waving idiots. I've no need to derail Brexit btw. It's already off the rails and heading into the sunny fields of the ditch at the side of the track.

May's deal is gaining tracktion.
EU are starting waver.
2nd referrrendum hasn't got support in the commons or the country.
May ruling out extension.
I believe we wont go out on a no deal.

A deal will be made.
May's deal is gaining tracktion.
EU are starting waver.
2nd referrrendum hasn't got support in the commons or the country.
May ruling out extension.
I believe we wont go out on a no deal.

A deal will be made.

I pray we don't go out on a no deal. The Netherlands have already offered lucrative tax concessions to over 250 major UK companies if they relocate there. Huddersfield will have good reason to complain when the factories disappear along with the migrant workers. It's what you voted for, guys!
(edited 5 years ago)
Did no-one envisage that once we stopped migrant labour then the multi nationals would simply up sticks and relocate to where it was still available? No... we all had our Boris blinkers on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending