The Student Room Group

Do I cancel my insurance before they cancel me?

I'm with Tesco Bank Box Insurance and today they sent an email saying if I have one more red mark for speeding then they'll cancel my insurance. I have just over 2 weeks until I will get that rating back from them.

I know I haven't been driving particular black box friendly and had I been sent the message earlier I would have been more careful.

As it's near certain my insurance will be cancelled would it be better for me to cancel it right now and take out one with a different company or take a new policy out under my parents name?
Reply 1
If you cancel now then you will not have a cancellation marker against your name, which if you did, would make your quotes astronomical. If you reckon you're going to be cancelled on. Do it first.

After, look for a quote that isn't telematics to avoid this in the future. Do not take one out under your parents name for yourself as that's fronting which is illegal.
Reply 2
Original post by xDron3
If you cancel now then you will not have a cancellation marker against your name, which if you did, would make your quotes astronomical. If you reckon you're going to be cancelled on. Do it first.

After, look for a quote that isn't telematics to avoid this in the future. Do not take one out under your parents name for yourself as that's fronting which is illegal.

Beat me to it.
I would wait and see if they cancel your insurance, if they decide to cancel it you still have the option of cancelling it before the 7 days. they normally give you a 7 day notice. but i would go with the advice above
Another one speeding with a black box though... Why do we even bother helping them if they put themselves in that situation.

Original post by tom_scott_
As it's near certain my insurance will be cancelled would it be better for me to cancel it right now and take out one with a different company or take a new policy out under my parents name?

By that do you mean list your parents as your main driver? If so, that is a stupid idea. You'll get insurance fraud and a cancellation against your name when you're found out.
Or you could just not speed and not have to worry.
Original post by xDron3

I totally agree.
Take any future insurance out in your own name though. Taking it out in someone elses name when you are the main driver is fronting and illegal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending