The Student Room Group

Laptop for Med school?

Hi, I will be starting Med School this September at Kings College London (fingers-crossed i get the grades haha)
Just wondering whether anyone could advise me on the best laptop?

2018 Macbook Air
Surface Laptop 2

Potentially the 2018 Ipad

And any other suggestions!

I dont have a laptop at all. Im not so sure about which one i need/ will last a long time etc
I have saved up £1000 over the years from my paper round, so anything around that budget is good!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mnnbv
Hi, I will be starting Med School this September at Kings College London (fingers-crossed i get the grades haha)

2018 Macbook Air
Surface Laptop 2

I dont have a laptop at all. Im not so sure about which one i need/ will last a long time etc
I have saved up £1000 over the years from my paper round, so anything around that budget is good!

Have you tried contacting the uni/current students to ask if there is any specific software etc you need to run? As we dont want to reccomend something to find out it cant do X that’s essential
Reply 2
Original post by niteninja1
Have you tried contacting the uni/current students to ask if there is any specific software etc you need to run? As we dont want to reccomend something to find out it cant do X that’s essential

Hi! I have asked and have been told that no specific softwares need to be run.
One medical student i spoke to recommended the macbook air, but, i have no other apple products so dont know whether i may find another device more useful?
i also do want something that will stand the test of time! thanks x
Original post by mnnbv
One medical student i spoke to recommended the macbook air, but, i have no other apple products so dont know whether i may find another device more useful?

So buy the sounds of it you just need basic programs like office and netflix etc then. Do you game or use entensive sofrware like photoshop etc?
Reply 4
I dont game but i do plan on editing small videos from my holidays etc
@niteninja1
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mnnbv

I only have an ipad for apple products but I don’t find any issues. I keep all my uni work in my onedrive account so I can use it on my phone and laptop as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
I only have an ipad for apple products but I don’t find any issues. I keep all my uni work in my onedrive account so I can use it on my phone and laptop as well.

i cant afford both an ipad and laptop.
are you able able to fully write essays etc on the ipad (ive heard some rumour that it is hard to add citations?)
i did go to apple store and writing notes on the ipad does seem nice as i could go paperless!
Reply 7
Original post by mnnbv
are you able able to fully write essays etc on the ipad (ive heard some rumour that it is hard to add citations?)
i did go to apple store and writing notes on the ipad does seem nice as i could go paperless!

Writing with the pencil is nice on the ipad.
I got the laptop in first year and the ipad for second. I wish I had gone with the ipad to begin with, now I might sell the laptop.
I write all my stuff on the iapd now, and doing our references isn’t a problem, although slightly more fiddly with how apple operates there. Depends how you have to make them I suppose.
Reply 8
Original post by mnnbv

2018 Macbook Air
Surface Laptop 2

I’m at a different med school, but I have a cheap-ish laptop and an iPad.
My laptop is a 2011 macbook pro which i bought off ebay for £340, I then bought a £5 toolkit and replaced the HDD with an SSD (which I also bought from an ebay auction).

My laptop is a bit heavy to carry to hospital placement, so I usually take my iPad and a bluetooth keyboard with me to take notes & scan handouts, send emails etc. It syncs with my laptop using iCloud.
For med school you don’t need a super powerful or expensive laptop, unless you’re planning on using it for gaming too. If I were you, I’d get a windows laptop for about £400 (make sure it has SSD with lots of storage for notes) and use the rest of the money to buy iPad with bluetooth keyboard & apple pencil.
I use my penicil to take notes using an app called Notability. It’s really good and almost feels like using a real pen.
Reply 9
Original post by Bio 7
Writing with the pencil is nice on the ipad.
I got the laptop in first year and the ipad for second. I wish I had gone with the ipad to begin with, now I might sell the laptop.
I write all my stuff on the iapd now, and doing our references isn’t a problem, although slightly more fiddly with how apple operates there. Depends how you have to make them I suppose.

ah okay! i guess i will consider the ipad more fully then! thank you!
Reply 10
Original post by mnnbv

You should be able to afford both with £1000, if you’re smart with your money

NB for citations and long essays I’d recommend using an actual laptop - the ipad version of microsoft word is very limited compared to the desktop version. Thats why I recommend you buy both
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Dogtor
I’m at a different med school, but I have a cheap-ish laptop and an iPad.
My laptop is a 2011 macbook pro which i bought off ebay for £340, I then bought a £5 toolkit and replaced the HDD with an SSD (which I also bought from an ebay auction).

My laptop is a bit heavy to carry to hospital placement, so I usually take my iPad and a bluetooth keyboard with me to take notes & scan handouts, send emails etc. It syncs with my laptop using iCloud.
For med school you don’t need a super powerful or expensive laptop, unless you’re planning on using it for gaming too. If I were you, I’d get a windows laptop for about £400 (make sure it has SSD with lots of storage for notes) and use the rest of the money to buy iPad with bluetooth keyboard & apple pencil.
I use my penicil to take notes using an app called Notability. It’s really good and almost feels like using a real pen.

Thank you for the advice! I will deffo look more into the Ipad then, seems to be a recommendation by many! do you feel a laptop is still essential with an ipad? i could just buy the keyboard case thingy?
Reply 12
Original post by Dogtor
You should be able to afford both with £1000, if you’re smart with your money

NB for citations and long essays I’d recommend using an actual laptop - the ipad version of microsoft word is very limited compared to the desktop version

okay thank you for all your help! seems to be a cheap laptop and ipad is the best way to go!
Reply 13
Original post by mnnbv
Thank you for the advice! I will deffo look more into the Ipad then, seems to be a recommendation by many! do you feel a laptop is still essential with an ipad? i could just buy the keyboard case thingy?

Dont bother with the keyboard folio that apple sells, its very expensive from what I remember - I’ve been using Logitech Keys-To-Go bluetooth keyboard for about 3 years now and it’s not failed me yet. I bought it for about £35 on ebay, not sure what the current price is.
Original post by mnnbv

2018 Macbook Air
Surface Laptop 2

Most students at my med school use macbooks. I personally have a macbook pro just because its reliable, has a long battery life and is robust. You don’t need a fully specced laptop for Med school because you won’t be running any high demanding software programs.
Reply 15
Original post by HateOCR
Most students at my med school use macbooks. I personally have a macbook pro just because its reliable, has a long battery life and is robust. You don’t need a fully specced laptop for Med school because you won’t be running any high demanding software programs.

ah okay! thank you!
i think i need to decide between just a macbook air or an ipad with a cheap laptop! i guess that will be personal preference though!
Original post by mnnbv
ah okay! thank you!
i think i need to decide between just a macbook air or an ipad with a cheap laptop! i guess that will be personal preference though!

I have an iPad too ahahah but i prefer making notes on my laptop to be honest and i love revising off of my iPad because its like having an electronic textbook if you will. Thats certainly up to you and how you think you study.
Reply 17
Original post by mnnbv
ah okay! thank you!

A lot of people do have macbooks, but imo theyre over priced and most of the people I know got them for xmas etc rather than paid for it themselves.

you can get a windows laptop that is just as powerful as a macbook for half the price, the only difference will be that you wont have a big ass illuminated apple sign on it to light up the lecture theatre along with everyone else.
Reply 18
Original post by mnnbv

2018 Macbook Air
Surface Laptop 2

To be honest, I'd say you're better off getting a Chromebook or something and put the rest of the money towards something else. I bought mine for about £250 around 2 years ago and it's still going strong
Reply 19
Original post by Dogtor
A lot of people do have macbooks, but imo theyre over priced and most of the people I know got them for xmas etc rather than paid for it themselves.

you can get a windows laptop that is just as powerful as a macbook for half the price, the only difference will be that you wont have a big ass illuminated apple sign on it to light up the lecture theatre along with everyone else.

Looool that made me laugh
I am lowkey broke and have busted my butt to save up so of course want good value for money and dont care about brand names etc
but, the only reason im happy to splash out is because ive heard that macbooks last forever
i dont want to spend £400 on a laptop only to have to buy another 3 years down the line
truthfully (as you can probs tell lmao) im not that into tech mainly because ive never had the money to buy it haha
so all of this is confusing

ill defo consider the two option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending