The Student Room Group

Question about how many years I could be funded for?

Hi there, basically I was wondering if I took an access to HE course could I be funded for this course even though I’ve already had funding for a level 3 diploma before?

Then could I still be funded for 3 years for my chosen degree?
And
As an optional route;
If I chose to instead do a 4 year degree (with foundation year) could I be funded for the full 4 years? Would I still be able to do a masters degree as well and get funding?
Original post by Musicgirl97
Hi there, basically I was wondering if I took an access to HE course could I be funded for this course even though I’ve already had funding for a level 3 diploma before?

Then could I still be funded for 3 years for my chosen degree?
And
As an optional route;
If I chose to instead do a 4 year degree (with foundation year) could I be funded for the full 4 years? Would I still be able to do a masters degree as well and get funding?

1. It says only once for a course of A levels or Access., so it would seem so but better check.
2.Yes and yes assuming no more than 1 years previous HE funding. Integrated foundation year. yes to MA.
When you say ‘yes assuming no more than 1 years precious HE funding’. I’m summising that means I can’t have already completed a years worth of HE before doing my Foundation year? To get the full funding for the 4 years
Hi

1. You get 4 advanced learner loans and only one access course as tigger stated, if you have had 1 advanced learner loan to get funding for a level 3 diploma already (As long as it was not an access to he course) then yes you will get funding to do an access course,
2. The calculation would be 4 (Your course length) + 1(Additional year given to all students incase they need to repeat) - any previous study = your standard entitlement
So it all depends on how much previous higher education study you have had. When tigger states "yes assuming no more than 1 years", it means because if you have 2 years or more previous study you wouldn't get funded for the duration of your course.

Examples

2 years previous study:
4+1-2 = 3 years funding, you would have to self fund the first year or provide compelling personal reasons
3 years previous study
4+1-3= 2 years funding, you would have to self fund the first year and second year or provide compelling personal reasons each year
Equivalent or lower qualificaiton:
If you already hold a HE qualification then you can't get funding for another qualification for the same or lower level unless it's an exception course like an NHS course, teaching etc

hope this helps

thanks
Original post by murpo
Hi

1. You get 4 advanced learner loans and only one access course as tigger stated, if you have had 1 advanced learner loan to get funding for a level 3 diploma already (As long as it was not an access to he course) then yes you will get funding to do an access course,
2. The calculation would be 4 (Your course length) + 1(Additional year given to all students incase they need to repeat) - any previous study = your standard entitlement
So it all depends on how much previous higher education study you have had. When tigger states "yes assuming no more than 1 years", it means because if you have 2 years or more previous study you wouldn't get funded for the duration of your course.

Examples

2 years previous study:
4+1-2 = 3 years funding, you would have to self fund the first year or provide compelling personal reasons
3 years previous study
4+1-3= 2 years funding, you would have to self fund the first year and second year or provide compelling personal reasons each year
Equivalent or lower qualificaiton:
If you already hold a HE qualification then you can't get funding for another qualification for the same or lower level unless it's an exception course like an NHS course, teaching etc

hope this helps

thanks

This has been such a big help. Yes I’ve only had one advanced learner loan to complete an extended level 3 diploma. But because I already have A level equivalents I’m going to apply to university as an individual instead of completing a Access to HE diploma as I can get in with the diplomas I already hold. So I should be able to get funded for the full 3 years at BA hons or 4 years if I get put into the IFY year.
So if I never need to repeat a year, could that funding go towards a masters degrees if I ever decided to do one after I graduated?
Original post by Musicgirl97
This has been such a big help. Yes I’ve only had one advanced learner loan to complete an extended level 3 diploma. But because I already have A level equivalents I’m going to apply to university as an individual instead of completing a Access to HE diploma as I can get in with the diplomas I already hold. So I should be able to get funded for the full 3 years at BA hons or 4 years if I get put into the IFY year.
So if I never need to repeat a year, could that funding go towards a masters degrees if I ever decided to do one after I graduated?

Hi

Unfortunately my knowledge about postgraduate loans is nearly zero so I wouldn’t be confident in saying yes/no about your masters course. You could give postgraduate loans a call to query this with them. :smile:
Original post by murpo
Hi

Unfortunately my knowledge about postgraduate loans is nearly zero so I wouldn’t be confident in saying yes/no about your masters course. You could give postgraduate loans a call to query this with them. :smile:

I will make sure to do this, I’m going to an open day in March, so I should be apply to ask finance services then :smile:
Also, from what I’ve read I only need one referee for my UCAS application. Is this true? Or do you need two?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending