The Student Room Group

Brexit voting week: 'Extension to Article 50' vote passes 412-202

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 999tigger
Its a solid NO.
Extension ahoy.

Extension to do what though? According to the EU... "...there will be no third chance. There will be no further interpretations of the interpretations; no further assurances of the re-assurances if the meaningful vote fails tomorrow. This is it."
Original post by Doones
The one thing that annoys me most about the DUP is they are treated as speaking for the people of Northern Ireland. They don't even speak for all unionists...

Indeed and they never admit to the least doubt that they do. We will hear from them today with their usual lies and posturing. They are a corrupt and malicious group of people.

What's even more depressing is that May continues to rely on them and really, for the benefit of the country, the rest of the House ought to find ways to use this to get rid of them as a force.
Original post by Doones
Extension to do what though? According to the EU... "...there will be no third chance. There will be no further interpretations of the interpretations; no further assurances of the re-assurances if the meaningful vote fails tomorrow. This is it."

Negotiate further or reach a decision.
They are politicians they can compromise and negotiate if they want to.
Reply 23
Negotiate further or reach a decision.
They are politicians they can compromise and negotiate if they want to.

Realistically I think they would only reopen negotiation after a GE.
Original post by Doones
Realistically I think they would only reopen negotiation after a GE.

Then you take the EU at face value, so I guess we will either cave in or have no deal.
its the end of the world as we know it (and i feel c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶v̶o̶i̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶e̶m̶o̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ fine)
Original post by Xanimede
Chaos is an ironic choice of word.

>Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband - David Cameron, 2015

I'm glad people remember this, for the life of me I don't understand how the tories get away with consistent failure, broken promises and economic ineptitude while keeping their reputation of 'being the safe choice for the economy and working classes' madness
Original post by todorokishouto
its the end of the world as we know it (and i feel c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶v̶o̶i̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶e̶m̶o̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ fine)

Keep up those spirits :h:
Its a solid NO.
Extension ahoy.

And you think that's a good thing?

In my eyes that's the worst possible outcome which will lead to more uncertainty and job losses, its worse than no deal and on par with no Brexit at all in my opinion.
Original post by Burton Bridge
And you think that's a good thing?

In my eyes that's the worst possible outcome which will lead to more uncertainty and job losses, its worse than no deal and on par with no Brexit at all in my opinion.

I was commenting on May losing the vote today.
The next stage will be an extension for article 50.
Its simply an extension of probably 2-3 months hardly earth shattering and your other ideas of it being worse than no deal or no brexit is ridiculous, but whatever makes you happy.
I was commenting on May losing the vote today.
The next stage will be an extension for article 50.
Its simply an extension of probably 2-3 months hardly earth shattering and your other ideas of it being worse than no deal or no brexit is ridiculous, but whatever makes you happy.

Well it isn't ridiculous, what is ridiculous is carrying on uncertainty that is currently damaging out economy and faith on our politicians, political system and so on.

Markets and business leaders are crying out to know what is going to happen, they are in complete limbo and won't put up with it much longer. 2-3 month extension could be OK if we are close, I have slim read the agreement and to my eyes at the moment it does not look much different to the last deal? I could be wrong though.

They must get on with it delaying for delaying sake is the worst possible outcome, far worse than no deal

Funny but not true
Like a bad row now delaying the split and hoping to stay in...

*EU, honey I’m back home *
From what I have heard is that the changes that have been made are very minor but still doesn't solve the issue. I also saw something else that the EU are looking to bill us 1million/billion a month for any delay extension. So if they do vote down the deal again which it looks likely it will then asking for an extension is going to cost more which can't be justified so a no deal has to be done.

I am still hoping that the deal will get voted down again as no deal is better than the bad deal May is trying to force upon us. We will find out later when they have the vote.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Well it isn't ridiculous, what is ridiculous is carrying on uncertainty that is currently damaging out economy and faith on our politicians, political system and so on.

Markets and business leaders are crying out to know what is going to happen, they are in complete limbo and won't put up with it much longer. 2-3 month extension could be OK if we are close, I have slim read the agreement and to my eyes at the moment it does not look much different to the last deal? I could be wrong though.

They must get on with it delaying for delaying sake is the worst possible outcome, far worse than no deal

Weve had it for 2 years. the markets and business are not going to mind an extension to try and get a deal, v a definite decision to no deal. You tell us the businesses that would prefer no deal . March 29 is an entirely artificial deadline set by May. Delaying for 2-3 months is not worse and thats hysterical. It is simply a status quo with the chance of a deal and businesses can carry on as normal in the system they are used to.

No deal on the other hand is chaos.
Original post by scorpion95
I am still hoping that the deal will get voted down again as no deal is better than the bad deal May is trying to force upon us.

This was one of her soundbites she was elected on and in true Conservative style she totally ignores her election promises ... Again
Weve had it for 2 years. the markets and business are not going to mind an extension to try and get a deal, v a definite decision to no deal. You tell us the businesses that would prefer no deal . March 29 is an entirely artificial deadline set by May. Delaying for 2-3 months is not worse and thats hysterical. It is simply a status quo with the chance of a deal and businesses can carry on as normal in the system they are used to.

No deal on the other hand is chaos.

Not according to these guys

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-socialenterprise/half-of-britains-social-entrepreneurs-dont-fear-a-no-deal-brexit-says-survey-idUSKCN1QB1XI

You don't know, nor do I. What I do know is delaying for delaying sake is not good.
So the DUP and Cox have signalled their lack of faith in the deal. Seems like this has to be the final nails in the coffin for May.

ERG are expected to meet at 5pm (though earlier reports say they've already said they'll vote against too). JRM says he's undecided.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 39
We voted to leave, no deals or anything but leave. Instead we have someone who's lied and lied and worked on the deal with Germany she's been found out and it's all ******** and disgusting. They aren't listening to the people. People wanted to leave we voted leave. With all the bs with the EU more people want to leave however if this deal which if you read it sounds like a country surrendering from a war. It's pathetic. If they reject and somehow get another referendum ..which is hugely undemocratic and win we know it's rigged. Unlike many have lost faith in our leaders, in out country. Pm needs sacking and jailing, so do the other MPs. Many won't want to vote labour or conservative again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending