The Student Room Group

Dashcam recommendations

What dashcams are people using and would recommend?

I'm looking for an easily mountable dashcam that runs automatically when the car starts out and deleted old footage when the storage runs out.

I'm looking online but being swamped by thousands of options and can't tell which dashcams actually have good features or which ones are just using shoddy advertising tricks.
Reply 1
Original post by xDron3
What dashcams are people using and would recommend?

I'm looking for an easily mountable dashcam that runs automatically when the car starts out and deleted old footage when the storage runs out.

I'm looking online but being swamped by thousands of options and can't tell which dashcams actually have good features or which ones are just using shoddy advertising tricks.

Anything by Nextbase is a safe bet - the 412GW and 512GW are excellent cameras - go for the 512GW if you want to use a rear camera too, otherwise go for the 412GW.
Blackvue is also a good option. Halfords also does dash cam fitting if you don’t want to do it yourself.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Bubblylibra
Blackvue is also a good option. Halford also do dash cam fitting.

Alternatively save your money and get a nice bottle of wine; it's super simple to install a dashcam.
Original post by IWMTom
Alternatively save your money and get a nice bottle of wine; it's super simple to install a dashcam.

If someone knows how to do it of course! I wouldn’t trust myself to hardwire front and read dash cams :smile:
Reply 5
My partner has a Nextbase and the image quality is a bit meh, and the audio quality is absolutely rubbish!

I've had very good luck with Mio MiVue dashcams. They have some excellent models in the £60-80 price range and the image and sound quality are great for the money.

Hard wiring them is very easy, especially if you get a hard wiring kit off eBay with the power converter and fuse tap all in one.

Even just tucking the wire behind trim and continuing the use the included cigarette lighter adapter is preferrable to having the wires dangling down in front of you.
I have Nextbase HD dashcam's in both cars, I have the removeable ones but have . One is a GPS one and the other isn't (they are the same model but the price was different) I would suggest Nextbase dashcam as the picture quality is good, go for a HD one and would be good to get one with GPS as it can measure your speed and I think also braking and acceleration force etc which if anything does happen you have more evidence of what happened rather than trying to thing of the speed etc you were travelling it will be more accurate. I have seen quite a few cars with the Nextbase dashcams, some with two in, so one or the windscreen the other of the rear screen. I have only put mine on the windscreen as it will be a hassle to wire it into the fusebox.
Reply 7
Original post by scorpion95
as it will be a hassle to wire it into the fusebox.

It's really not! It takes about 10 minutes to do :smile:
Reply 8
I use this one, was easy to set up, has good image and audio quality. highly recommend, just click it back out when I'm not driving- https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jo.HCbHRYMGF5
The front one or the back one? The front one is easy to do but don't you have to get a long cable and rip some of the carpet and trim out for the back one?
Original post by IWMTom
It's really not! It takes about 10 minutes to do :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by scorpion95
The front one or the back one? The front one is easy to do but don't you have to get a long cable and rip some of the carpet and trim out for the back one?

You can just run the cable for the rear camera through the headliner if you don't have a 12v socket in the boot - all you need is a snake :smile:
I bought a TOGUARD Dash Cam 4K off amazon for £35 its good quality and cheap enough not to worry about leaving in the car
Original post by matti120
I bought a TOGUARD Dash Cam 4K off amazon for £35 its good quality and cheap enough not to worry about leaving in the car

https://amzn.to/2O5pTgI Thats the one i used a code to bring it down to £35

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending