The Student Room Group

Right of way roundabout

So here is the footage. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6221048,0.4160826,43m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

I can't remember where exactly I saw the guy in the micra but he seemed to be far enough away to allow me to pull out onto the roundabout, which I did. Now I'm worrying if I was actually in the wrong. He is to my right, but I was already over the stop line. I'm not sure if he was or maybe we were both on it at the same time. He seemed to have a dashcam like me so just worried he might report me if I was wrong and could do without 3 points or more on a clean license
Original post by civicpride2506
So here is the footage. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6221048,0.4160826,43m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

I can't remember where exactly I saw the guy in the micra but he seemed to be far enough away to allow me to pull out onto the roundabout, which I did. Now I'm worrying if I was actually in the wrong. He is to my right, but I was already over the stop line. I'm not sure if he was or maybe we were both on it at the same time. He seemed to have a dashcam like me so just worried he might report me if I was wrong and could do without 3 points or more on a clean license

You refer to "footage", but your link is to Google Maps. Is that what you intended? As we can't see your dashcam footage, perhaps you could describe what happened. Would it be reasonable to assume that the Micra driver needed to take action to avoid a collision?

With respect to roundabouts, the highway code says (rule 185) that you should "give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights". It does not say, "unless you've already crossed the stop line" or "but only if they've already crossed the stop line". If they're to your right, then they have priority.
Original post by DataVenia
You refer to "footage", but your link is to Google Maps. Is that what you intended? As we can't see your dashcam footage, perhaps you could describe what happened. Would it be reasonable to assume that the Micra driver needed to take action to avoid a collision?

With respect to roundabouts, the highway code says (rule 185) that you should "give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights". It does not say, "unless you've already crossed the stop line" or "but only if they've already crossed the stop line". If they're to your right, then they have priority.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CCpsE-60NQd5i1mi-q_g1VPgPNIigz2Q/view?usp=sharing

The driver did not stop or attempt to i was the one forced to stop. He just blasted his horn.
(edited 8 months ago)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CCpsE-60NQd5i1mi-q_g1VPgPNIigz2Q/view?usp=sharing

The driver did not stop or attempt to i was the one forced to stop. He just blasted his horn.

Yes, you were at fault as you didn't "give priority to traffic approaching from your right".

The chances of the other driver providing their footage (if they have a dashcam) to the police are almost nil. The chances of the police taking any action as a result are even lower. Sleep easy. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
But if i was already on the roundabout by form of being over the stop line surely its irrelevant if he's coming from the right?
But if i was already on the roundabout by form of being over the stop line surely its irrelevant if he's coming from the right?

But you shouldn’t be over the give way line until it’s safe to enter.

Regardless, as above, you’ll be fine.

Nope. That's not what the highway code says. It makes no mention if who is over the stop line, or who is already on the roundabout. It says, "give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights". The Micra was approaching from your right, and therefore had priority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending