The Student Room Group

Is this harassment

I am a 16 year old female and earlier today I was walking down the street with a cropped jumper and sports leggings on and as it is 20 degrees today I was still sweating in my outfit so it wasn’t very provocative . As I was walking three cars slowed down and honked, one group of about 4 21ish year old males even leaned out of the window to shout at me. I immediately felt very insecure and rushed to the nearest bathroom to check if I had holes in my leggings etc. I didn’t. Was I harassed? I felt extremely uncomfortable and upset, should I have?
Reply 1
Technically yes! Try not to take it too personally though! It’s just immature idiots! If you really want to get back at someone when that happens, just say you are 16 and that should shut them up! :smile:
Depends what you mean by harassment.

It will be a common feature, unfortunately. Best to just get on with life and not allowed yourself to be bothered by idiots.
@nulli tertius have you ever heard of people getting done under section 5, Public Order Act 1986, for shouting non-violent stuff from cars at pedestrians?
Sorry to tell you but it's something you'll get used to, I'm a 21 year old girl and don't really notice it so much anymore, it's just something which happens. In the last week I've had three carloads of men slow down and shout about my bum and boobs, a group of teenage boys tell me to make my boobs bounce, two lads cycle past and slap my bum and a couple of dads with their sons comment on my bum...you'll get used to it and won't find it so upsetting in a few years (but you're not wrong for how you feel either)
Reply 5
Bus W*nkers!!!
Original post by Notoriety
@nulli tertius have you ever heard of people getting done under section 5, Public Order Act 1986, for shouting non-violent stuff from cars at pedestrians?
Original post by Spanx
Bus W*nkers!!!

Aye, a lot of 20yo lads in their mam's Nissan Micra with big mouths. Promptly ******** their wee selves if the traffic lights cut 'em off.
Reply 7
Oi Oi! Nice A*rse!
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry to tell you but it's something you'll get used to, I'm a 21 year old girl and don't really notice it so much anymore, it's just something which happens. In the last week I've had three carloads of men slow down and shout about my bum and boobs, a group of teenage boys tell me to make my boobs bounce, two lads cycle past and slap my bum and a couple of dads with their sons comment on my bum...you'll get used to it and won't find it so upsetting in a few years (but you're not wrong for how you feel either)
yeah has happened to me a few times even tho i’m built like a roblox
I am a 16 year old female and earlier today I was walking down the street with a cropped jumper and sports leggings on and as it is 20 degrees today I was still sweating in my outfit so it wasn’t very provocative . As I was walking three cars slowed down and honked, one group of about 4 21ish year old males even leaned out of the window to shout at me. I immediately felt very insecure and rushed to the nearest bathroom to check if I had holes in my leggings etc. I didn’t. Was I harassed? I felt extremely uncomfortable and upset, should I have?

In a way yes, akin to wolf whistling. Young men can be very immature and think its accepted behaviour to honk horns etc. They probably meant it as a compliment. Just learn to ignore it and dont take it personally.
Original post by Notoriety

It is clearly an offence either under section 5 or section 4A (section 4A retains insulting). Non-violent words are frequently prosecuted.

I suspect the issue here is the practicalities. This is an offence which is either the subject of immediate police action or ignored; so you need the combination of a police officer hearing the abuse and either that officer or another officer having an opportunity to stop the vehicle.
It's normal to feel the way you do. Unfortunately this sort of stuff happens all too often and there's not much you can do other than ignore it.
Reply 12

You can't say all that and not even post one PIC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending