The Student Room Group

Cervical Ectropion

I've been told I have cervical ectropion , and its apparently very common. However I do not know ANYONE with this and my mum and step mum have never heard of it.

I am bleeding constantly, all the time and of course even more so if I have sex, and I am experiencing pretty bad pelvic pain like it's more severe than my period pain.

I have been drs, sexual health clinic but none have been reallly helpful and I just wanted to know whether this was normal? All info online just mentions pain/bleeding after sex- nothing about almost constant bleeding and pain.

Has anyone who's had it got any tips/advice either? I am so miserable
Have you tried any hormonal contraception?
Reply 2
I am already on the pill, it's the pill that often causes it. Ive been bleeding for months straight
Original post by Apachecow
Have you tried any hormonal contraception?
Then you are going to have to come off the pill (hence my reasons for asking).

There are a couple of local treatments that are used to kill off the unusual cells. Has your doctor talked to you about them? I assume it would be a gynecology referral rather than done at the GP. Have you specifically asked for referral? In the mean time come off the pill.

[or come off the pill for a few months and see if it improves]
Reply 4
My doctor and the sexual health people just didnt give me any information and didnt refer me to anything and my gp has no appointments for months so I feel a bit stuck honestly. I don't really know if my experience is normal for ectropion which is why I just wanted to find someone who may have been through the same thing

My periods are unbearable and I have to skip uni because of them and unfortunately as it's this close to exam season I can't risk my pain/bleeding getting worse than it already is : ( Otherwise I would try coming off the pill ASAP.

Thankyou for your advice by the way sorry if i seem ungracious or anything, I've done a lot of research on it but my GP is just really bad and Im just scared that my experience isn't' normal for someone with ectropion.
Original post by Apachecow
Then you are going to have to come off the pill (hence my reasons for asking).

There are a couple of local treatments that are used to kill off the unusual cells. Has your doctor talked to you about them? I assume it would be a gynecology referral rather than done at the GP. Have you specifically asked for referral? In the mean time come off the pill.

[or come off the pill for a few months and see if it improves]
I understand. I do think treatment is something you need to look into further - even if that means making a GP appointment for after exams. It looks quite 'treatable". I would have thought a sexual health clinic could do the referral for you. The critical phrase to slip into the conversation is "this is affecting my quality of life"

What treatments are available?If you choose to have treatment, it is usually given at a colposcopy clinic and will be done using heat/cautery, which hardens the soft cells to stop them from bleeding. The two different treatment options are listed below.•Silver nitrate to cauterise/burn off the soft cells (this should not be painful, however you may experience some mild discomfort). •Cold coagulation which uses heat to cauterise/burn off the soft cells (you will be given a local anaesthetic to numb the area). Both treatments can result in some bleeding or discharge, as well as some ‘period-like’ pain. This could last for around a week (first method) or two to four weeks (second method) after the treatment. Tampons and penetrative intercourse should be avoided until you are fully healed, usually one week (first method) or up to four weeks (second method). Speak to you doctor or nurse for more information about these options.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been told I have cervical ectropion , and its apparently very common. However I do not know ANYONE with this and my mum and step mum have never heard of it.

I am bleeding constantly, all the time and of course even more so if I have sex, and I am experiencing pretty bad pelvic pain like it's more severe than my period pain.

I have been drs, sexual health clinic but none have been reallly helpful and I just wanted to know whether this was normal? All info online just mentions pain/bleeding after sex- nothing about almost constant bleeding and pain.

Has anyone who's had it got any tips/advice either? I am so miserable

Book the earliest GP appointment available to you, and keep checking every few days to see if they have any cancellations. Alternatively, register at another GP practice and request an emergency appointment. There should also be walk-in centres local to you. If your pain or bleeding is particularly awful, you can phone 111 for medical advice as well.
Reply 7
Thankyou all so much for the help, I've been off the pill for like a week or so now and the bleeding is getting even worse (2 pads in 3/4 hours) so definitely going to go asap. I couldn't get through to 111 when I called sadly
Original post by Anonymous
Thankyou all so much for the help, I've been off the pill for like a week or so now and the bleeding is getting even worse (2 pads in 3/4 hours) so definitely going to go asap. I couldn't get through to 111 when I called sadly

I have a ectropion. In my case it doesn't sound as sever as yours as I dont have any unusual bleeding I do however have abdominal pain and increased discharge which is super annoying!

I'm waiting for my next gynecologist appointments- I was told to keep taking my pill untill told otherwise (ridgedoven).
Reply 9
Original post by K689
I have a ectropion. In my case it doesn't sound as sever as yours as I dont have any unusual bleeding I do however have abdominal pain and increased discharge which is super annoying!

I'm waiting for my next gynecologist appointments- I was told to keep taking my pill untill told otherwise (ridgedoven).

Gosh you are literally the first person I've found who also has ectropion I'm so happy my symptoms aren't abnormal

I ended up being taken firstly off rigevidon because it was making me go a bit crazy and I was told it has been known to cause extreme abdominal pain
Went into another combined pill (I forget the name) and the pain stopped, the bleeding slowed down but it didn't exactly improve so I got put on progesterone only pill because oestrogen can cause ectropion!

I've been on it for over a month and I haven't had any problems since!

I hope you manage to find a good solution!

Quick Reply

Latest