The Student Room Group

Medicine With Foundation Year

Hi,

I wanted to know what kind of grades I need to be getting for my application for Medicine with Foundation year to be competitive. I'm thinking about going somewhere like Nottingham, Plymouth or Edge Hill.

Thank you
Edge hill is a great uni, the accommodation is amazing would you be staying over?
Reply 2
Probably, but I need to know what grades I need for the foundation year. I've looked at the unis websites most of them say BBB but I know medicine is quite competitive so I need to know what grades I need to be getting to get into the course.
Original post by Emma603xxxx
Edge hill is a great uni, the accommodation is amazing would you be staying over?
Check out the edge hill website, and other unis too
Original post by ullas_joy
Probably, but I need to know what grades I need for the foundation year. I've looked at the unis websites most of them say BBB but I know medicine is quite competitive so I need to know what grades I need to be getting to get into the course.
Original post by ullas_joy
Hi,

I wanted to know what kind of grades I need to be getting for my application for Medicine with Foundation year to be competitive. I'm thinking about going somewhere like Nottingham, Plymouth or Edge Hill.

Thank you

Hi, hope you're well!

The Medicine with Foundation Year course has an example offer of BBB. Alternatively, if you have an A or A* in Biology or Chemistry (or both), we can accept the third grade as a C.

As you've mentioned, the course will be competitive (like other Medicine courses across the country). There's plenty of ways to stand out besides grades, which is where Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs) come in. These are several short practical assessments, which can take the form of various tasks. Like with any interview, it's a great way to stand out, but it also shows us skills outside of your grades. The Medic Portal has a great page on MMIs, which I recommend reading.

Outside of MMIs and grades, there are other criteria to meet. Our Foundation course is a widening participation initiative, so you would need to bear these criteria in mind. You would also need to take a UCAT Medical Admission Test, which will be considered alongside your grades and MMIs.

To sum up, I would focus on at least getting the grades mentioned above, but also consider the other opportunities to stand out. You could get BBB and deliver amazing MMIs and test scores, or A*AA and perform poorly in an interview. This isn't designed to scare you (at least, I hope it hasn't!) but to prepare you for a variety of criteria. Don't feel as if a BBB will give you no chance of getting into a Medical School - it's the grades many Universities are looking for, alongside other skills.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Alex
I have a 5 in english lang, would that be a problem?
Original post by Jasmineeee277
I have a 5 in english lang, would that be a problem?

The answer is in the link provided above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending