The Student Room Group

MSc. Data Science in Lancaster, Glasgow or Southampton

Hi everyone,

Between Lancaster, Glasgow and Southampton, I would like to know which university is the best choice for studying data science, in terms of international reputation, quality of teaching and the safety of the city (behavior towards muslims, and muslim females who wear hijab specifically).
And how different is it living in scotland from living in england for an international student (weather-wise and accent-wise and so on.. )? could it be used as a tie breaker?

Thank you in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reputation makes little difference in the UK so you may want to talk to employers where you plan to work to understand how they will regard your qualifications. All UK unis are fairly international so you're unlikely to face problems as a hijab wearing muslim. You can try contacting the unis' muslim societies to chat some more. You can look up info about weather and accent but yes it is vastly different between England and Scotland!
Original post by RawanSaif
Hi everyone,

Between Lancaster, Glasgow and Southampton, I would like to know which university is the best choice for studying data science, in terms of international reputation, quality of teaching and the safety of the city (behavior towards muslims, and muslim females who wear hijab specifically).
And how different is it living in scotland from living in england for an international student (weather-wise and accent-wise and so on.. )? could it be used as a tie breaker?

Thank you in advance.
I certainly was doing a lot of research during the past few months and I arrived to the fact that it is always better to hear some relevant insights from people living or studying there, especially since I’ve never been to the UK and I don’t know anyone living in these cities to ask.

Thank you very much for your advice, I appreciate it. :h:
Original post by alleycat393
Reputation makes little difference in the UK so you may want to talk to employers where you plan to work to understand how they will regard your qualifications. All UK unis are fairly international so you're unlikely to face problems as a hijab wearing muslim. You can try contacting the unis' muslim societies to chat some more. You can look up info about weather and accent but yes it is vastly different between England and Scotland!
(edited 4 years ago)
I am currently swinging between Nottingham and Lancaster. I really like Lancaster University in addition to the fact that they are offering me a £5K department scholarship while Nottingham couldn’t give me any, but I think that Nottingham is very well known internationally unlike Lancaster.
I would appreciate any opinion, what would you choose if you were an international student?
(edited 4 years ago)
I am currently swinging between Nottingham and Lancaster. I really like Lancaster University in addition to the fact that they are offering me a £5K department scholarship while Nottingham couldn’t give me any, but I know that Nottingham is very well known internationally unlike Lancaster.
I would appreciate any opinion, what would you choose if you were an international student?

As above reputation means little. It looks like Lancaster is winning for you so go for it.
In fact I like both Universities, I like the quiet atmosphere Lancaster has but I like the “internationality” of Nottingham too, and alot of people from my home country (Sudan) go there so I won’t feel “too” alone.
And I think reputation is important in my case since I might not stay in the UK afterwards, but I am not sure if going to Lancaster means that I would lose the edge compared to Nottingham if I went to a different country (Canada for example). That’s why I am struggling :/
As above reputation means little. It looks like Lancaster is winning for you so go for it.
In fact I like both Universities, I like the quiet atmosphere Lancaster has but I like the “internationality” of Nottingham too, and alot of people from my home country (Sudan) go there so I won’t feel “too” alone.
And I think reputation is important in my case since I might not stay in the UK afterwards, but I am not sure if going to Lancaster means that I would lose the edge compared to Nottingham if I went to a different country (Canada for example). That’s why I am struggling :/

Sorry but the latter part of your post makes no sense. If you prefer Nottingham as a place and think the reputation means a lot then go with Nottingham.
My problem is that I am not sure about what I think and I need second opinions form people who might know something I don’t know, that’s why I am asking here in the first place.
But I will take it that you would choose Nottingham if you were given these factors.
Thank you alleycat393 :smile:
Sorry but the latter part of your post makes no sense. If you prefer Nottingham as a place and think the reputation means a lot then go with Nottingham.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending