The Student Room Group

Opinions on Minerva university

An open university with just no lectures just Skype calls which cost around 30 grand a year . Youtuber unjaded jade has been talking about it a lot in her videos and people have been saying it's a scam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
would be a good idea if the classes were in person.. i understand the no lectures thing but the best alternative to no lectures is in person, personal classes. there's a large difference between skyping a professor and being able to talk to them/ask questions in real life.

also, the idea of being able to spend six months to a year in a different city while still being able to learn in english & with the same cohort seems amazing to me.

the other thing is the lack of practical elements to the science courses.. how are you supposed to prepare for a clinical setting if you're just learning theory with no practicals??
Reply 2
None of that is supplied by the university they have to pay for flights visa and accomodation
Original post by doks
would be a good idea if the classes were in person.. i understand the no lectures thing but the best alternative to no lectures is in person, personal classes. there's a large difference between skyping a professor and being able to talk to them/ask questions in real life.

also, the idea of being able to spend six months to a year in a different city while still being able to learn in english & with the same cohort seems amazing to me.

the other thing is the lack of practical elements to the science courses.. how are you supposed to prepare for a clinical setting if you're just learning theory with no practicals??
they do it in surrounding unis
Original post by doks
meh, would want to see data on prospects of students. doesn't seem horrible and like that, it's based on learning science
Reply 5
No classes... hmm, reminds me of the fake uni set up in the US as a sting operation against visa fraud
Original post by Anonymous
An open university with just no lectures just Skype calls which cost around 30 grand a year . Youtuber unjaded jade has been talking about it a lot in her videos and people have been saying it's a scam

I agree with many of the comments in her videos. I don't think Minerva is a scam (i.e. I think they will provide what they say they will), but I do think it's an incredibly overpriced gimmick. The OU (or the University of London - which also runs distance-learning degrees) has much better name-recognition among employers and arguably provides a better overall education, for much less money.
sounds like a scam tho, lot's of hidden costs and dat
Reply 8
But how would they cultivate those lab skills ? Whose supervising them ? Honestly just don't think the programme is suited to scientists especially those interested in research
Original post by Obolinda
I dunno, I only knew because of this youtuber that goes there.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVOYtRZPiOMfTMpNuIq-0sQ
But how would they cultivate those lab skills ? Whose supervising them ? Honestly just don't think the programme is suited to scientists especially those interested in research
Reply 10
None of that is supplied by the university they have to pay for flights visa and accomodation

i mean, accomodation is a given in any uni really. the cost for flights & visas would be worth it for me.

makes sense tbf
^^ if it was like that for classes where u spend 6 months in a different uni rather than learning thru minerva i'd be interested
Reply 11
It isn't worth the time, money, or effort. Even if you do get in, only a small number of people are going to even know what it is. Employers won't bother searching it up either. You'll be forever explaining yourself or getting rejected lol
sounds like a scam tho, lot's of hidden costs and dat

It's definitely not a scam since I personally know two people who are a part of the programme. They joined in 2017 and paid just over over 30 grand per year and haven't really had to pay for anything since. While I do question the effectiveness of it's science based courses, I think studying a humanities or liberal arts course is probably alright.
I know it isn't a scam. I was talking about flights and stuff(which I assumed was part of the costs as it wasn't explicitly stated otherwise on the website. I know a YouTuber who goes there but I just think Minerva is a bit dodgy.
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
It's definitely not a scam since I personally know two people who are a part of the programme. They joined in 2017 and paid just over over 30 grand per year and haven't really had to pay for anything since. While I do question the effectiveness of it's science based courses, I think studying a humanities or liberal arts course is probably alright.
I know that what I thought jade talking about it was the first time a lot of people heard about it and I think many naiive people are going to follow her not knowing the disadvantages it will pose to them
Original post by zxvs
It isn't worth the time, money, or effort. Even if you do get in, only a small number of people are going to even know what it is. Employers won't bother searching it up either. You'll be forever explaining yourself or getting rejected lol
30 grand is a lot for something you can do in the UK for 9 grand . Also in the UK it is just a loan and you only have to pay it back gradually however with Minerva I'm sure it has to be upfront or in America you have to pay it back after three months . Guess it's good for rich people although it doesn't provide a lot
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
I think the whole scheme is based on a marketing technique where it does not provide much . They base their degree on 'critical thinking ' which you need in almost degrees in any university
Reply 17

Lectures are just power points tho and most people just watch it on replay at home
Reply 18
Yeah, and their admissions statistics are highly inflated anyway. They claim to have these super low acceptance rates but they aren't accurate by any means.
I know that what I thought jade talking about it was the first time a lot of people heard about it and I think many naiive people are going to follow her not knowing the disadvantages it will pose to them
Original post by zxvs
Yeah, and their admissions statistics are highly inflated anyway. They claim to have these super low acceptance rates but they aren't accurate by any means.

That I agree with.
There's a Quora thread on it and most ex students seem to have positive reviews. The main complaint seems to be jet lag and time constraints since they have to keep moving.
It's definitely not for everyone. It's definitely a rich man's place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending