The Student Room Group

What is everyone's biggest achievement???

Scroll to see replies

cant you make a loss, dont ou need to be smart where you invest etc so everyone cannot do it??
Original post by maachu_pichuu
You should look at dividend stocks then, companies which take a portion of their earnings and pay out to common stockholders as cash. You are being paid to hold stocks then essentially. Dividends grow with time because company earnings (good ones) grow with time, so in 20 years you can be earning more in dividends per year than what you originally invested. Reinvesting dividends compounds the growth further, as money starts pulling in more money. The compounding turns exponential the longer it occurs, so this is why ordinary people become millionaires after investing for a period of several decades.
Original post by ('('-('_')-')')
cant you make a loss, dont ou need to be smart where you invest etc so everyone cannot do it??

Of course you can lose money, this is investing not a bank account. The market is brutal if you buy the wrong companies or even worse, buy the wrong companies at the wrong price. That is why you only buy good companies and you pay as little as you can for them (margin of safety). This protects your capital in a way, so you never lose any large amounts of money.

For example Apple went from $230 to $145 from peak to trough in the last bear market, I started buying from $178, I bought even more at $172 and $165. Even with a reasonable margin of safety, the stock went lower than I thought it would. It's now at $193, so people who bought at $230 are still down on their investment.
okay are there places to find out where to invest and how much since i literally know nothing. what should i do???
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Of course you can lose money, this is investing not a bank account. The market is brutal if you buy the wrong companies or even worse, buy the wrong companies at the wrong price. That is why you only buy good companies and you pay as little as you can for them (margin of safety). This protects your capital in a way, so you never lose any large amounts of money.

For example Apple went from $230 to $145 from peak to trough in the last bear market, I started buying from $178, I bought even more at $172 and $165. Even with a reasonable margin of safety, the stock went lower than I thought it would. It's now at $193, so people who bought at $230 are still down on their investment.
Original post by ('('-('_')-')')
okay are there places to find out where to invest and how much since i literally know nothing. what should i do???

Just stick the money in an index fund, you don't need to worry about all the things I am telling you. I am trying to beat the market, so I have to worry about these things, you can get 8% a year very easy from the S&P 500.
my greatest achievement is life...being a champion sperm and all winning the race to get to the egg
Weird one but completely screwing my A-levels with BCDE when my expected grades were BBBB 5 years ago. My proudest moments are generally my biggest failures because they force me to bounce back, if I didn't fail my life would be so boring. I genuinely thought I ruined my life at A-levels. Without this setback my life would of turned out differently and I don't regret my unusual journey for getting to where I am now.
(edited 4 years ago)
Proud of ya! :five:
Original post by MidgetFever
Being the first in my family to go to university. Didn't even think I'd be able to do it either.
Reply 67
Original post by Themysticalegg
I don't regret my unusual journey for getting to where I am now.

Can relate to this after bombing my own A-Levels about 15 year ago. Students say to me 'would you go back and work harder?' but I wouldn't. I hated college, hated A-Levels, loved being in the pub and titting about in bands, chasing unattainable women and all that clichéd stuff, and I'd not change a single day of it.
My 22 year old son. Although I worry about his future still and hope he "makes something of himself", he has turned into a kind, caring, thoughtful young man. And I raised him almost completely single - handedly, with no help from anyone else, despite my own mental health problems. He is my biggest achievement by far.
'Loved being in the pub' Some habits never die do they! :rofl:
Went from bombing your A-levels to becoming a lecturer, now that's what dreams are made of. :u:
Although A-levels are important I think there is way too much scaremongering and youths end up believing their life is finished when it's definitely not the end of the world if you fail. I think life is about tripping up and learning up from your mistakes otherwise you never really improve yourself.
To be honest before the age of 20 I just did all the fun stuff expected of the typical student. A lot of which you have mentioned. :lol: My life would be incredibly boring if I never had these 'wild' experiences. :rofl:

Original post by gjd800
Can relate to this after bombing my own A-Levels about 15 year ago. Students say to me 'would you go back and work harder?' but I wouldn't. I hated college, hated A-Levels, loved being in the pub and titting about in bands, chasing unattainable women and all that clichéd stuff, and I'd not change a single day of it.
Reply 70
'Loved being in the pub' Some habits never die do they! :rofl:
Went from bombing your A-levels to becoming a lecturer, now that's what dreams are made of. :u:
Although A-levels are important I think there is way too much scaremongering and youths end up believing their life is finished when it's definitely not the end of the world if you fail. I think life is about tripping up and learning up from your mistakes otherwise you never really improve yourself.
To be honest before the age of 20 I just did all the fun stuff expected of the typical student. A lot of which you have mentioned. :lol: My life would be incredibly boring if I never had these 'wild' experiences. :rofl:

I'm old fashioned in that a good boozer is still a creative and social hub for me (that's why I'm picky about where I sup, too). i was in a rought-as-balls biker boozer round here from 15-16ish playing in dodgy bands and all that stuff. I have some interesting mates as a result, ha. But aye, I did crap in my A levels cos I didn't care about them, and instead of going for the results and doing clearing etc, I went on holiday for a few weeks and 'worried' (not really!) about it when I got back :laugh:

I'd not advocate my journey but at the same time it is good for younguns to know that shite A-Levels is not the end of your life, even if you want to be an academic etc.
i cheated ....
I'm happy it turned out well. :smile: It's funny what mothers are willing to sacrifice to give their children a chance in life. I can never repay my mother for raising me on her own, and I swear I will never put my children in the same situation she was placed in.
Original post by markova21
My 22 year old son. Although I worry about his future still and hope he "makes something of himself", he has turned into a kind, caring, thoughtful young man. And I raised him almost completely single - handedly, with no help from anyone else, despite my own mental health problems. He is my biggest achievement by far.

Having strange mates is the best, a lot of my mates are actually the polar opposite of me but it keeps everything slightly unexpected. :rofl: See dealing with it in such a manner is definitely better for your health. :biggrin: I honestly didn't care at all for education at that age my A-level grades do not represent me because I didn't really try. But I knew afterwards I definitely needed to try if I wanted to get somewhere in life which would keep me content.

I would also never advocate my journey either, it's best avoided unless you really want to set a fire for no reason. :biggrin: Yep after my masters in 2 years time, I can go onto a PhD if I wish to. (ugh part time) At these levels they don't even care about your A-level grades which my 17 year old self would be shocked at. :biggrin:
Original post by gjd800
I'm old fashioned in that a good boozer is still a creative and social hub for me (that's why I'm picky about where I sup, too). i was in a rought-as-balls biker boozer round here from 15-16ish playing in dodgy bands and all that stuff. I have some interesting mates as a result, ha. But aye, I did crap in my A levels cos I didn't care about them, and instead of going for the results and doing clearing etc, I went on holiday for a few weeks and 'worried' (not really!) about it when I got back :laugh:

I'd not advocate my journey but at the same time it is good for younguns to know that shite A-Levels is not the end of your life, even if you want to be an academic etc.
Reply 73
Getting 8's and 9's in my GCSE
Reply 74
My proudest moments are generally my biggest failures because they force me to bounce back, if I didn't fail my life would be so boring.

Really like this and have to agree. My proudest and biggest achievements are coming back from feeling/being so down and out over the years. From A-levels to personal life. Sometimes I surprise myself how things work out :laugh:
cutting off toxic people. idc that will forever be my biggest achievement.
Mine is something that a lot of people just take for granted - but passing my driving test. Due to anxiety issues I never imagined myself being able to learn, let alone pass, and certainly not drive on the roads afterwards.

I did it. 4 years ago today as it happens. I've never been prouder, and although I was terrified for a long time when driving alone, I've gradually got better at that, and now I'll drive further away.. it sounds stupid, but only I know how much I had to overcome to get that pink license.

Oh, and I was proud of myself for getting my degree, too.
Proud of ya! :five:

Aw thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by THE-BLACK-CAT
(TRIGGER WARNING )

They were both battling depression and are still are but they are much better now .There was a time when it was really bad tho ... my brother hadn’t returned from school and didn’t text or call ,nothing . Only texted that he “had enough of this life and that he will “see us at home .. maybe
My mum got really scared and started panicking.. she broke down and I was the only one there to support her . At the same I was calling my brother and trying to talk him out of it and coax him back to his senses.From the graces of God he luckily calmed down and eventually came back home ..
It was a really difficult day cause I had to support both my brother from killing himself and my mum from killing herself out of pity for my brother .as she believed that everything that was happening was her fault ..

I’m just so grateful to have them both in my life still :smile:

You're a star :five:
Thank you ... :redface:
Original post by RazzzBerries
You're a star :five:

Quick Reply

Latest