The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP: Is the Max Maintenance Liam enough?

Hi everyone , I recently finished A Levels and I’m getting the max maintenance loan (£8,944) for Uni. The accommodation I am going to live in is £97 a week. Will this be enough to cope?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I also obviously have to pay for everyday living costs
Count yourself lucky. I should be getting the max amount because my household earns under 25,000 but I’m getting roughly 4,000. That’s not even enough for my accommodation alone.
Reply 3
Omfg???
Original post by KayKarma
Count yourself lucky. I should be getting the max amount because my household earns under 25,000 but I’m getting roughly 4,000. That’s not even enough for my accommodation alone.

OMFG???? This is making me doubt that I will actually get the max now, I thought it was guaranteed you’d get the max if u earn under £25,000!!!!
Once you've applied to Student Finance they'll tell you how much you're getting. Whether this will be enough depends on where you're going and your general lifestyle. If you only eat take out and go out drinking 4+ times a week, then even the max loan amount won't be enough. But if you mostly cook for yourself, and don't spend loads of (excess) money on clothes, drinking, and other luxuries there's no reason it won't work out. I got minimum loan amount in my first year (£3,800), and my parents gave me £100 a month on top of that, and I survived with just that and the £1000 I'd earnt from working the summer before uni
Thats what I thought. But now we’re going to have to dig into our savings just to pay for accommodation- then later on we obviously have to pay for food, petrol, clothes,books. It’s irritating. Also, when we first sent off the student finance supporting documents in April, someone at student finance did not accept my letter. Without informing me, then I had to do the process again! And my letter got accepted in like June.. less likely to get the full amount
Original post by RaisHussain
Omfg???

OMFG???? This is making me doubt that I will actually get the max now, I thought it was guaranteed you’d get the max if u earn under £25,000!!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Thats what I thought. But my mum said that someone told her that they have the ability to check your parents savings account?? I don’t know if that’s true or not. But at the end of the day my parents savings account doesn’t have anything to do with university. But now we’re going to have to dig into our savings just to pay for accommodation- not food, not petrol, not clothes, not books. It’s irritating

Wow that’s unlucky. Could the reason be that you live with both your parents? I only live with my mum and we don’t have a savings account
It's because they check savings; the idea being it doesn't matter what you have coming in regularly, if you have money in savings you have enough money to pay for university. The max maintenance loan is aimed at families who basically live a low income existance, without the fall back of savings, to enable students who otherwise wouldn't consider university to be able to do so
Wow that’s unlucky. Could the reason be that you live with both your parents? I only live with my mum and we don’t have a savings account
Reply 8
Original post by Jewelzela
Once you've applied to Student Finance they'll tell you how much you're getting. Whether this will be enough depends on where you're going and your general lifestyle. If you only eat take out and go out drinking 4+ times a week, then even the max loan amount won't be enough. But if you mostly cook for yourself, and don't spend loads of (excess) money on clothes, drinking, and other luxuries there's no reason it won't work out. I got minimum loan amount in my first year (£3,800), and my parents gave me £100 a month on top of that, and I survived with just that and the £1000 I'd earnt from working the summer before uni

Most the time I’ll be at my mums house even though I’m living in accommodation so I wouldn’t spend a lot on food. I have a job too so whatever I make from work I’ll probably spend on clothes etc. Do you think I’ll have a lot of money spare from the loan because of all of this?
I only live with my mum.
Reply 10

Has your application actually been assessed yet? That's the minimum everyone is initially given until their assessed portion is.. well.. assessed..
I only live with my mum.

Could be due to the savings account, even though it’s ridiculous they used that as an excuse to not give u the max
Even if it’s not the savings, I don’t know what it could be. My mum works part time!!! I’m getting the same amount as my best friend.. he lives with both of his parents and they do full time!!
Could be due to the savings account, even though it’s ridiculous they used that as an excuse to not give u the max
Even if it’s not the savings, I don’t know what it could be. My mum works part time!!! I’m getting the same amount as my best friend.. he lives with both of his parents and they do full time!!

Why not call them and ask haha? And read that Tom guys reply to you
Yeah I checked the website, it says “payment scheduled” and is in green. They’ve already given me the dates on when they’re going to give me money

Original post by IWMTom
Has your application actually been assessed yet? That's the minimum everyone is initially given until their assessed portion is.. well.. assessed..
(edited 4 years ago)
I’ve had so many calls with them hahaha, it’s been a messy process all they’ve done is lose my ****
Why not call them and ask haha? And read that Tom guys reply to you
Reply 16
Yeah I checked the website, it says “payment scheduled” and is in green. They’ve already given me the dates on when they’re going to give me money

That doesn't mean it's been assessed, it just means you have the base payments in place.

Once they assess your household income, you'll receive a new entitlement summary.

It can take up to the beginning of the semester for the process to complete - the later you apply, the later your application is assessed.
But they have already assessed the household income???
Original post by IWMTom
That doesn't mean it's been assessed, it just means you have the base payments in place.

Once they assess your household income, you'll receive a new entitlement summary.

It can take up to the beginning of the semester for the process to complete - the later you apply, the later your application is assessed.
Reply 18
But they have already assessed the household income???

Says who?
Easily survive
8944 over about 9 months (assuming you don't pay for accomodation or anything over summer(you can work anyway)
is about 1000 a month- 400 goes to accomodation
That leaves you with 600 a month- I only spend an extra 200 a month. You have a lotttttt of money spare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending